GK-3 - Wax Potting = Improve tracking and eliminate microphonic feedback

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 07:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quote from: carlb on May 17, 2018, 02:43:06 PM

- . .   problems -and balancing the pickup output with the "real" pickups. Too low in both situations.

If you use a GP-10 - you can adjust the volume balance of GK Modeling tone vs Normal Mag PU tones here:

BladesToyShop

I'm installing the internal version in my LP and was wondering if the basics of setting up the pickup are the same as for the external version.

Elantric

Quote from: BladesToyShop on May 18, 2018, 10:16:21 AM
I'm installing the internal version in my LP and was wondering if the basics of setting up the pickup are the same as for the external version.
Same settings

be sure your radius is pre adjusted to the correct setting and working  - Before you wax pot the GK PU
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto.html
http://roland.com/V-Guitar/howto_lp.html

carlb

After checking the adjustable potted GK pickup arch against another that wasn't potted, I've concluded that Vig's did the best as can be done for Gibson tune-o-matic bridges.

The hex PU treble-side is much closer to the bridge than its bass side, so yes that's going to attenuate the treble strings. Something to watch for on a lot of Gibsons, I'd bet.

Figuring that an increased mag pull can be tolerated when closer to the bridge, I've adjusted the treble side height to less than 1mm. Between that and slotting the hex PU mount holes (to allow a bit of shifting), the treble E string is much better now.

So wasn't a potting problem, just the trickiness of dialing in a GK PU on a Les Paul. Really wish someone would manufacture them for Gibson style guitars!

Gigging with it tonight, will report how it does.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Majiken

Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

vtgearhead

Odd that you are having such issues on a Les Paul.  I had a GK3 on mine for months and never ran into any issues.  Did you use the Roland adapter bracket?

admin

Quote from: vtgearhead on May 22, 2018, 01:59:49 PM
Odd that you are having such issues on a Les Paul.  I had a GK3 on mine for months and never ran into any issues.  Did you use the Roland adapter bracket?

agreed - the the GK-3 PU should mount right on without any major surgery  and unlike a Strat , each GK-3 string PU coil line up under the strings  - GK-3 default is a  12" radius ( same as most Gibsons)

details
Mag Hex PU Dimension Comparison
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=41

Bridge Spacing Reference
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8612.msg61762#msg61762

TOP:  A GK-2A type - narrower pole pieces and no curvature adjustment.

MIDDLE: A GK-3 type - your usual external mount GK.

BOTTOM: A GK-KIT internal mount type - notice the wiring exits the back instead of the side.
A regular GK-3 pickup has the solder points and holes to change to back wiring.

carlb

The arch is right. But the poles can't center on the outer strings. That should be a manufactured difference between a Strat and an LP GK pickup.

As pictured above, the treble-string poles must sit close to the bridge. Doing so decreases their output. Not much can be done about that, besides hugging the bass-string poles close to the bridge too to match the output - unlike what's pictured above.

Gig went well, treble E was a bit anemic. Will likely pull down the other strings a bit more.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

admin

The arch is right. But the poles can't center on the outer strings.

agreed

==

Carlb wrote>
Drum roll ... Warblies cut WAY down. I can play alt-tunings with open strings ringing away: no warbles!

My usual warblies torture test - 5th, 7th, and 12th fret harmonics have a superior improvement. Hardly nothing noticed on 12th and 5th frets, and only mild warblies on the low-frequency strings for the 7th fret.

Alt tunings are now VERY playable. Live: predicting no problems. Studio: just tune the darned guitar. Studio work needs to be the cleanest you can possibly be.

Of course the acoustic ringing of the string versus the electronic pitch shift will give your ears a tweek. More or less depending on what intervals you're trying.

So my advice for 13-pin playing: mag-hex pickups only, and pot them!

CodeSmart

Another happy guy:

Hi Robert.

I have previously seen the wax potting thread but was kind of reluctant to try. You convinced me so I did it today and what a big change, just amazing.

Alexandre.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Alex

I confirm I'm happy  ;D
Super easy to do, I used paraffin wax (regular candles) and the difference is really there.
For high gain patch it made a dramatic difference, helped tracking on long sustained notes and getting clarity for palm muting (most of the background noise being attenuated)

gumbo

...hmmm..

...seriously thinking about pumping in some hot glue and seeing how that works...

If anybody tries that before I get around to it, let me know how it goes..   ;)

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

vtgearhead

Quote from: gumbo on September 25, 2018, 02:26:53 AM
...hmmm..

...seriously thinking about pumping in some hot glue and seeing how that works...

Peter

I doubt you'll get the penetration needed.  Hot glue tends to setup very quickly with minor temperature drops.

admin

Quote from: gumbo on September 25, 2018, 02:26:53 AM
...hmmm..

Peter

DO NOT use Hot Melt Glue - it expands & contracts with temperature and will damage the pickup 

gumbo

gumtown

the hot melt glue is too viscous to penetrate into the windings,
and you will end up with a poopy sticky mess and burnt fingers.

or it might catch on fire

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

OK..
You've convinced me...I'll just use it to stick the guitar to the wall....

8)

marzar

Anyone still wax potting in 2021? 

Wanted to say thanks for the suggestion.  It made a difference for me.  I'm working on a GC-10 guitar controller here.  Before, just tapping lightly the hex pickup would result in a loud thump through my speakers. Now, it's much cleaner sounding overall.  Using a GP-10, alt tuning sounds really good and stable.

Was super easy. I grabbed a few paraffin and beeswax candles that were lying around the house. Put them in an old metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Monitored temps with a kitchen thermometer clothes-pinned to the bowl. Once melted held the hex pickup in there for about 5 minutes.  Took it out, it barely needed any scraping.  Let it set up for about 40 or 50 minutes.  Reinstalled and done -- and lots of wax left over for the next pickup!

Pickup after coming out of the wax, just a couple little globs:

I have not seen any gut shots of the GC-10, so here's three for the record:

Interesting to me, there is no string ground needed, like an EMG pickup in that way I guess?

admin

Quote from: marzar on October 01, 2021, 08:16:10 AM
Anyone still wax potting in 2021? 

Wanted to say thanks for the suggestion.  It made a difference for me.  I'm working on a GC-10 guitar controller here.  Before, just tapping lightly the hex pickup would result in a loud thump through my speakers. Now, it's much cleaner sounding overall.  Using a GP-10, alt tuning sounds really good and stable.

Was super easy. I grabbed a few paraffin and beeswax candles that were lying around the house. Put them in an old metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water. Monitored temps with a kitchen thermometer clothes-pinned to the bowl. Once melted held the hex pickup in there for about 5 minutes.  Took it out, it barely needed any scraping.  Let it set up for about 40 or 50 minutes.  Reinstalled and done -- and lots of wax left over for the next pickup!

Pickup after coming out of the wax, just a couple little globs:

I have not seen any gut shots of the GC-10, so here's three for the record:

Interesting to me, there is no string ground needed, like an EMG pickup in that way I guess?
IMHO you will benefit by adding a string ground to the bridge plate  on that GC-1 = lower noise

and many folks are employing tips & tricks that are listed here - even if the advice on VGuitarforums is 10 years old, it never goes out of style 

JustinH

I have a Roland Ready Strat that I use with a GP-10 and an SY-1000.  For my organ and string pads, I have the occasional warble or harmonic ghost notes.  I wonder if wax-potting the internal GK pickup that is on the Roland-Ready Strat would make a difference like it does for the externally-mounted GK pickup?

Thanks,

Justin

gumbo

Roland-Ready Strats and GC-1 Strats employ a totally different construction on the GK pickup...be aware that if you attempt to remove the plastic pickup cover to gain access, you will end up with a number of separate components that, after immersing in wax, may (?) not easily go back together....    ...just saying...

HTH

JustinH

kenact

Quote from: gumbo on September 25, 2018, 06:58:01 PM
OK..
You've convinced me...I'll just use it to stick the guitar to the wall....

8)

The guitar is harder to play that way, but you won't need strap locks. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7