GR-55 MIDI RX Patch Change MAP?

Started by gumtown, March 09, 2011, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landrews

Ok sussed it now - just saw that the built in patches start at bank 16 and got to 18 103

So   CC0 16 CC32 0 PC    0 is Lead   01-1
And CC0 18 CC32 0 PC 103 is Other 40-3

If you turn the scroll wheel on the GR55 the next patch is User 01-1
Which is CC0 0 CC32 0 PC 0 is User 01-1
And       CC0 2 CC32 0  PC 40 is User 99-3 the last user patch

Now I need to work out how to just scroll through the presets by incrementing the patch number, the equivalent of spinning the scroll wheel.  Anyone know how to do this?  I figured out how to do this on a VL3 

gumtown

If you use the GR-55FloorBoard editor, don't need the GR-55 connected,
set the preferences > midi/USB setting for deBug Mode enabled, then press OK,
it will restart, and hit the "connect" button, after a few popup missing GR-55 errors you can start doing a single mouse click on the left patch tree panel,
and the editor status bar will display the bank, control change, patch numbers for each selected patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

Maybe this might help a little. I made this tutorial a few years ago on midi mapping with the help of several from this forum.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

glennfin

I just got a GT-1000 and one of the first things I did was attempt to send program change messages to my GR-55. Three hours later and after reading this thread, I realized I can program, per-patch, PC messages in the GT-1000 and just leave the GR-55 in "fixed" mode. Works great.

PS.... is there some sort of chart to convert PC numbers 0 - 128 to GR-55 bank/patch numbers?

TheGrail

Gents,
I just purchased a simple MIDI footswitch to allow me to access more of my favorite GR-55 patches without tapdancing. It's a MIDI Mongoose, and it only sends the basic MIDI patch changes 0-127 on the desired channel. I thought I could just use the RX patch change map to select the presets I wanted when the Mongoose footswitch 1-5, 6-10 were pressed and life would be good.  Ha ha!

As this thread has fully investigated, the GR-55 doesn't just accept a program change when it's in PRG mode, you have to send a bank and program change, which the MIDI Mongoose does not do.  So the fallback position is for me to use the librarian and just organize the presets I want, mapped to the MIDI PC the Mongoose sends - my #1 preset resides in slot 01-1 and is selected when the Mongoose sends PC 1, etc.

While I was doing this, I found something odd about the GR-55. As a certain point, when I sent a PC 1, the GR-55 would select user patch 43-3.  Other times it would select patch 86-2.   At first I thought this was a bug but then I realized the GR-55 is projecting its own "Bank select" of 127 presets when it's in the FIX mode. So how do you set it to the other banks? After some fooling around, I realized that if you select a preset within the higher banks and press the "Enter" key, the MIDI RX map is set to the range that encompasses the preset you selected. 

So to select presets 01-1 through 43-2, just select a preset in that range and press "Enter"
For the second bank, select a preset 43-3 through 86-1
And to access the third bank, select any preset from 86-2 to 99-3 and press enter.

This "bank selection" seems to be retained through powerdown and powerup.  I thought it was interesting enough to share with the group. 
Thanks for all your help!
Roy Smith
VG-8, VG-99, GR-55

Guitar, Bass, Engineering, Production and Insolence.
YouTube channel : https://goo.gl/x4KnOp
SoundCloud : https://soundcloud.com/roysmith

admin

Great secret revealed - thanks for documentation of this

Chrysalis99

Quote from: TheGrail on March 11, 2023, 09:51:22 AMGents,
I just purchased a simple MIDI footswitch to allow me to access more of my favorite GR-55 patches without tapdancing. It's a MIDI Mongoose, and it only sends the basic MIDI patch changes 0-127 on the desired channel. I thought I could just use the RX patch change map to select the presets I wanted when the Mongoose footswitch 1-5, 6-10 were pressed and life would be good.  Ha ha!

As this thread has fully investigated, the GR-55 doesn't just accept a program change when it's in PRG mode, you have to send a bank and program change, which the MIDI Mongoose does not do.  So the fallback position is for me to use the librarian and just organize the presets I want, mapped to the MIDI PC the Mongoose sends - my #1 preset resides in slot 01-1 and is selected when the Mongoose sends PC 1, etc.

While I was doing this, I found something odd about the GR-55. As a certain point, when I sent a PC 1, the GR-55 would select user patch 43-3.  Other times it would select patch 86-2.  At first I thought this was a bug but then I realized the GR-55 is projecting its own "Bank select" of 127 presets when it's in the FIX mode. So how do you set it to the other banks? After some fooling around, I realized that if you select a preset within the higher banks and press the "Enter" key, the MIDI RX map is set to the range that encompasses the preset you selected. 

So to select presets 01-1 through 43-2, just select a preset in that range and press "Enter"
For the second bank, select a preset 43-3 through 86-1
And to access the third bank, select any preset from 86-2 to 99-3 and press enter.

This "bank selection" seems to be retained through powerdown and powerup.  I thought it was interesting enough to share with the group. 
Thanks for all your help!
Roy Smith

Hi, please accept my apologies if this is a dumb question as I'm total newb on GR55 & the MIDI front but, would it be possible that a different MIDI controller is capable of sending bank up/down commands? If so, any suggestions? I'm looking at RJM series of controllers.

Elantric

Morningstar controller

Paintaudio MIDI CAPTAIN in Firmware 3.0 "Geek Mode"
http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tutr/bank.htm

sixeight

Quote from: Chrysalis99 on May 12, 2023, 11:03:10 AMHi, please accept my apologies if this is a dumb question as I'm total newb on GR55 & the MIDI front but, would it be possible that a different MIDI controller is capable of sending bank up/down commands? If so, any suggestions? I'm looking at RJM series of controllers.

You can use CC 0 0 to select bank 0, CC 0 1 to select bank 1, etc.
Send bank 16 or higher to select the factory patches.

The CC message is sent before the PC message