vg99 midi out to external module

Started by klunk, May 05, 2011, 01:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klunk

i am thinking of running a synth module with my vg99 midi out...Are there any pros or cons in regards to tracking by running Midi out of vg99 to an external synth module, as opposed to using a 13 pin splitter to run vg99/gr33. My idea is to use gk2a into US-20 A/B splitter with A) to the vg99/midi-out synth-module and B) to a gr-33. With that scenario in mind, when i press the us-20 A) setting, will i, because of my serial midi link, loose or keep independant pc/cc control of the synth module... e.g.: is it possible to send pc change (from my midi pedalboard) to ext. synth module while vg99 pc remains unchanged?

Brent Flash

klunk

Thanks for the link, Brent. i had read thru all those previous to my post: it seemed to address the volume issue but i missed where it covers the PC specifics of the vg to module chaining: e.g. vg program #5/ module program #7---then PC change #20 to chained synth-Module ONLY while vg remains unchanged (pc5). i guess i am wondering how/if the vg, since it is first in the chain, will transmit two pc messages. Sorry if this is a basic question: i am kinda slow at understanding midi/anything! Thanks again for past and future schooling on these midi matters.

Brent Flash

I am not sure what your specific question is. It looks like you have questions about MIDI program change mapping and a way to change just the module without changing the VG. That can be done but maybe not in the way you are thinking it would be done. The easiest way is to have the same VG program in the #20 slot but with MIDI mapping it would be just any slot that had the #20 PC set for the VG.

You may want to review pages 55, 60, 61, 62, 163, and 171 in the VG owners manual. There is good information there.
Hope this helps!

klunk

Great stuff, Brent. You really helped me by pointing to some subject-specific pages to focus my attention and increase my reading comprehension. thanks again!!!