Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrz80

Another guitar has joined the ranks of the GK'ed, so I finally have a backup for if the Ibanez breaks a string halfway thru a song.  8)  A while back I found an absurdly good deal on a used GP-10/GK-3 set. I figure I can flip the GP-10 to pay for the pickup.  I just stuck it on my old Black Telecaster™, hooked it up to the SY-1000, and dialed in the scale and pickup-to-saddle distances. Happiness is!

Jesus freak, guitarist, luthier, bicyclist, ham (WA4UF)...
Turning every scrap of wood in the garage into Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12 strings

AAT65

Improved mounting of GK-3 on my Jazzmaster thanks to this customised scratchplate from Tiny Tone, who made a great job of this.

mooncaine

Quote from: coincident on May 07, 2022, 02:49:26 PMTurns out there's basically nowhere to mount it where it won't interfere with the guitar's fantastic ergonomics.

I wish the pickups were modular: connected by cords that plug in, so that you could switch pickups or put the control wart behind the guitar or on a strap... or buy a longer cable if needed (or shorter)!

Quote from: coincident on May 07, 2022, 02:49:26 PM- tempted to either slant it a little more to get the bass side closer to bridge, or to get the treble side a little further to help even out sensitivity a little more... or... straighten the whole thing out for visual reasons...
I'm in love with your guitar because it's headless and it's got a radius & string spacing that (you say) matches the GK pickup!

My beloved Steinberger Spirit is too narrow for the GK2A, & radiused too flat, but a GK3's wart just won't work for me on that body shape.

Because it's too narrow, I angle the pickup. I wondered, which way is best to slant it? I opted to slant the traditional way, parallel with the Strat Stack bridge pickup I mounted... but later I thought, what if I had slanted it so that the high E was farthest away, instead of the low E? Would I get better sustain on the high E?

Then I remembered that I tried it with tape, a temp mounting. When I bend strings, the high E moves completely off the polepieces, even though the pickup slants. That kills sustain. Might be a concern for you, too. The low E isn't so susceptible because it's so loud, I suppose. I don't notice it dropping out. So it's the trad slant for me.

Rolloq

A vguitar Forums fellow helped to ge me to get a Roland GK-2A-KIT Guitar Synthesizer Driver Kit and i had a luthier to install  it.
Hagström ultra Black.You cannot view this attachment.
And a big thanks to that vguitar forum fellow.

Rolloq

pasha811

Quote from: Rolloq on September 02, 2022, 07:31:17 AMA vguitar Forums fellow helped to ge me to get a Roland GK-2A-KIT Guitar Synthesizer Driver Kit and i had a luthier to install  it this week.
Hagström ultra Black.You cannot view this attachment.

Rolloq

Very cool and clean job in stylish black! Enjoy!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bowman42

New addition to my GK guitars, Schecter Sun valley with Sustainiac and internal GK3

arkieboy

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 26, 2022, 01:19:55 AMGKs13 install into a Eric Clapton signature strat (active pickups and added tonal possibilities)
Installation is reversible should I want to go back to original.
BOSS GK pickup sprayed with flat white paint.

I mimicked the mid boost in my SY1000 by using a parametric eq (500Hz, 25dB) and trigger it with S1 for banks programmed for my Strat.

(I'd still have the real thing though, lovely looking guitar!)
Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Axon AX100 MkII/Line 6 Helix LT
Vox AC30S1
Laney LFR112
Marshall JMP1
Marshall EL84/20-20
TC GMajor
Marshall 1912 (x2)
Apple Mainstage/Emu E5K/Novation Supernova II/Roland JV880/Oberheim Matrix 6R

Bluesbird

Just installed an external GK on my Squier Classic Vibe:

Squier Contemporary Starcaster with GK Kit, Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Deluxe with external GK-3, Roland GI-20, Boss SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer

pasha811

Quote from: Bluesbird on October 28, 2022, 06:10:26 PMJust installed an external GK on my Squier Classic Vibe:

Very clean job. Great!
Did you have to raise the action to accommodate the GK?
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bluesbird

Quote from: pasha811 on October 28, 2022, 10:54:46 PMVery clean job. Great!
Did you have to raise the action to accommodate the GK?

No, the action is 1/16th of an inch across the fingerboard. The pickup is closer than the 1 mm recommendation, but that is not causing any problems. If I find it is causing problems I can just put a very thin shim in the neck pocket.
Squier Contemporary Starcaster with GK Kit, Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Deluxe with external GK-3, Roland GI-20, Boss SY-1000 Guitar Synthesizer