How are you using your GX-100

Started by Magic Russ, May 23, 2023, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic Russ

It's been out for a while and I was curious how everyone is using theirs.

Are you running FRFR, 4 cable method, or into an amp?
Anything in the FX loop?
Do you tend to use manual mode or one patch per sound?
Do you do anything unconventional with your assigns?
What do you use for external controllers?

As for me, when playing aloud I go into a either a keyboard amp or the power amp in on my Katana 50.  When I go direct I go from analog inputs into my audio interface.  I haven't had good luck using USB into Windows WASAPI drivers.  Nothing in the FX loop yet.

In terms of patches, I tend to create patches which are "rigs" where I can turn on and off effects using manual mode.  Of course, there are a few patches where every component is necessary for that sound, so in that case I don't make manual mode assigns.

In most cases I have the pedal set to volume/wah.  Sometimes I might use the pedal as a pedal bend, sometimes it might control the speed of a univibe or something.

C1 is usually set to control divider channel select.  If I have just one channel I probably will set it to a boost or drive.

I also tend to arrange my banks so that 1 is clean, 2 is crunchier, 3 is lead, and 4 is a wild card.  Maybe it's a second lead, maybe a random weird effect, or even just an acoustic sim.
C2 I have flipped so that a short stomp will go into manual mode and a long press will engage the tuner.

I have a pair of FS-5U switches.  C3 is Tap Tempo and C4 is free for assigns.

I haven't used the looper at all yet.

So how about it?  What are you doing differently?

Elantric

Forget WASAPI USB drivers

Lowest latency on Windows will be the Boss GX-100 "ADVANCED" MODE USB AUDIO driver , which is actually a Steinberg ASIO driver- set your DAW app to use ASIO Audio

Many falsely assume there is nothing to download- but in reality the Boss GX-100 USB Driver download contains a crucial "README.htm" file, with many details on the GX-100 USB Audio setup, and manual installation method .

And far more info than below
.---
GX-100 DRIVER VER.1.0.0 FOR WINDOWS 10/11
DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 10/11
Your computer automatically downloads the Windows 10/11 driver from the Internet when a product requiring the driver is connected to the computer.
Downloading and installing the driver yourself is not necessary.

* Under normal conditions, the driver installation is completed in several minutes. It may take about 10 minutes depending on the Internet connectivity or if there are other drivers being installed for other devices.
* A problem may have occurred if the device is connected but cannot be used after waiting for 10 minutes.
DOWNLOADING THE DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 10/11
If you're using a computer that is not connected to the Internet, or if the driver isn't downloaded automatically, then download the driver for Windows 10/11 manually.
To download it, use the [ DOWNLOAD ] button at the bottom of this page.

The downloaded file is an archive file in zip format. Right-click to select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
The installation method for the driver is described in the README.txt file created after expanding the archive file. Before attempting to install the driver, be sure to read the README.txt file.
ACTION TO TAKE AFTER INSTALLING
For information on what to do after installing the driver, refer to Readme.htm, which is created after installation.

* Please be aware that the information in Readme.htm related to "installing" is based on the case where the driver is automatically downloaded over the Internet.
* The information in Readme.htm might differ from what is on this page. For the most up-to-date information, refer to this page.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Operating System
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 11
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 10
* Windows 10 Mobile is not supported.
Computer
Windows-compatible PC equipped with USB port
* ARM-based PCs are not supported.
* It cannot be used in a virtual Windows environment.
* Windows running on Mac is not supported.
Other
Internet connection
* The Internet connection is needed to download the driver.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/gx-100/updates_drivers/6364e5fd-f7ec-4819-89a1-8ec869f71a8b/

Magic Russ

The problem with ASIO drivers is that you cannot use multiple ASIO drivers alongside each other in Windows.  I suppose ASIO4All might work but it does add latency and wasn't all that stable last time I used it.

Elantric

True, unless you have gear that supports MultiClient ASIO (RME, MOTU, Focusrite) on Windows
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/pc-windows-asio-multiclient-driver-by-charlie-steinberg/20479

Or use  FlexASIO
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4515794042898-Multi-Client-Operation-Drivers-Windows-

I tend to work on laptops, using only my Guitar Processor, one USB cable  and Headphones for writing, Practice, and overdubbing guitar parts using Reaper or Cubase .

Looking forward to updating my Kemper for the latest USB Audio Firmware they added .

My biggest complaint on GX-100 is zero support for Win8.1 , or older Macs -while every other 2023 Guitar MFX unit I use supports a much broader array of operating systems and  " legacy" OS versions.

MarkFromHawaii

I got a GX-100 a couple months ago. I'm loving it. My litmus test for multi-FX pedals is setting up a patch with a rotary chorus. The GX rotary sound is pretty good. I also configured CTRL-1 to toggle the speed. Guess what? The speed ramps up and down like a real rotary speaker. Neato! I also like the dual amp path which is Boss' answer to Positive Grid's Bias FX 2. I'm thinking of getting a Headrush FRFR 108 which is about 20 lbs for a grab n go package.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Boisdelac

With my GT1000 I also use the rotary effect in combination with a crunchy amp sim for some Uriah Heep songs to add a hammond organ like sound.

Dual amp path???? Boss already introduced the dual amp thing with the GT 100, which came out in 1996. Did Bias FX2 exist back then?

If you can afford, take two FRFR 108. For small club gigs and rehearsals, a single FRFR 108 is loud enough, but you'll love the stereo sound.