VG99 Midi Headache SOLVED, kinda :)

Started by paganskins, January 18, 2023, 07:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paganskins

Sorted now (Jan 20), see below.

I'm having difficulty getting my VG99 to respond to midi CCs coming in from the 5 pin dins.

Following on from difficulties with running Gumtown's editor via a midi interface on a M1 Mac I did wonder if the sockets might be duff however I managed to get Roland's editor to work in both directions via the midi hub on an older Mac (Gumtown's is only working via USB on the old Mac).

Interestingly it's midi coming back to Gumtown's editor that's not getting through, the VG responds to changes in the editor just not the other way round.

Do the following global settings look right? Is there anything there that could be throwing incoming midi off?

Thanks

gumtown

Quote from: paganskins on January 18, 2023, 07:30:04 AMFollowing on from difficulties with running Gumtown's editor via a midi interface on a M1 Mac I did wonder if the sockets might be duff however I managed to get Roland's editor to work in both directions via the midi hub on an older Mac (Gumtown's is only working via USB on the old Mac).

Interestingly it's midi coming back to Gumtown's editor that's not getting through, the VG responds to changes in the editor just not the other way round.

What settings do you have in the VG-99FloorBoard editor "Preferences > USB/Midi" page ?

If only USB is working, have you "un-checked" the "Auto select VG-99 USB" option as this forces a VG-99 USB connection.

If the USB-midi device is selected in the same menu page for Midi input and Midi output ?

Cheers  8) 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

paganskins

The plot thickens ...

I remembered I had one of those Widi master Bluetooth midi thingies.

Your editor works with it perfectly on the new m1 Mac.

And via that setup the vg99 is accepting pc messages but not cc.

I tested cc via the widi to my helix and that worked fine so assume it's the vg at fault.

Doesn't seem to be accepting midi clock either.

However the editor is working which is the main thing.

gumtown

As per the picture you previously posted, it shows midi channel is 7,
 so your midi cc# have to be set to channel 7
and
sync clock is set to internal, so won't listen to midi sync.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

paganskins

Quote from: gumtown on January 18, 2023, 02:29:34 PMAs per the picture you previously posted, it shows midi channel is 7,
 so your midi cc# have to be set to channel 7
and
sync clock is set to internal, so won't listen to midi sync.

Yes I'm using channel 7, the PC changes were recognised and actioned just not CC weirdly.

I did change sync to midi, screen shot is prior to that.

Not sure if I checked if the Mac recognises the VG as an audio/midi device via USB, I'll try that next and if so see if CCs get through that way.

Worst case scenario I'll just have to go back to using CTL and expression pedals I suppose.

paganskins

So, no the M1 Mac doesn't recognise the VG over USB despite having the driver installed.

However, breakthrough, and surprise surprise operative error!

What was throwing me was PC 0 from my midi controller = patch 001 on the VG so I assumed the VG was counting midi CC from 1 and the controller from 0 so I was offsetting the CC by one needlessly!

So I've got it working, the only headache now is the editor only likes the bluetooth midi so without replugging connections I'd have to route commands through the Mac. I tried a midi merge device I had kicking about without success but I'm sure I've seen midi switches which might do the trick.

Worst case scenario if I need to program the midi controller and the VG at the same time I'll just have to use the old Mac for VG editing via USB whilst the controller is hooked up via midi.

Also I've now tested the VG's ablity to send midi CCs out and I was able to control a track fader in Ableton using the D Beam (cool 8)).

Vaultnaemsae

On M1/M2 devices, installing the VG-99 MacOS 10.13-14 driver results in a security event that stops the driver to functioning even though the installation appears to complete successfully. There is no way around this. Usually when MacOS blocks an extension it offers an option to "Allow" but it simply doesn't occur on M1/M2 devices. You can even see/adjust the driver settings but they are unusable as the device cannot connect over USB. Workaround: use the standard driver (for audio) and a USB-to-DIN MIDI interface. You can use Crossover (ver 21.2 only!) by CodeWeavers to install the VG-99 Editor/Librarian Windows apps and the MIDI ports from MacOS will be visible and accessible to the apps. But, do not update Crossover beyond the suggested version!
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae