MIDI recording/Playback issue

Started by Introspeckle, December 04, 2022, 07:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Introspeckle

Hi. Admittedly, I am running an ancient version of PT- Pro Tools 8 on OS10.5.6.
I am successfully able to record MIDI on the SY1000 and hear it. But I'm not actually able to hear the same sounds being played back. I am just running the old school MIDI cables into the digi. And not using the USB as I'm not able to install the driver on my operating system.
Am I missing something? Can anyone help me if something needs to be configured either on the SY-1000 or the PT end?
Thanks so much

admin

Quote from: Introspeckle on December 04, 2022, 07:41:09 PMHi. Admittedly, I am running an ancient version of PT- Pro Tools 8 on OS10.5.6.
I am successfully able to record MIDI on the SY1000 and hear it. But I'm not actually able to hear the same sounds being played back. I am just running the old school MIDI cables into the digi. And not using the USB as I'm not able to install the driver on my operating system.
Am I missing something? Can anyone help me if something needs to be configured either on the SY-1000 or the PT end?
Thanks so much

None of the SY-1000 internal sounds respond to MIDI Note on/off messages

Explains why MIDI Playback sounds different vs Real Time SY-1000 Live Performance

Introspeckle

Quote from: admin on December 04, 2022, 09:11:37 PMNone of the SY-1000 internal sounds respond to MIDI Note on/off messages

Explains why MIDI Playback sounds different vs Real Time SY-1000 Live Performance

Perhaps you answered my question. But I'm not getting any playback. I can hear it and see the notes when I record. But playing the notes back is just..silence.

Is it not possible to record the MIDI of an internal patch into a DAW, edit the notes, and then play the MIDI back of the original patch?

Thanks 

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Introspeckle on December 04, 2022, 10:11:14 PMPerhaps you answered my question. But I'm not getting any playback. I can hear it and see the notes when I record. But playing the notes back is just..silence.

Is it not possible to record the MIDI of an internal patch into a DAW, edit the notes, and then play the MIDI back of the original patch?

Thanks 

Not on the SY but you can use the midi recorded to play other synths or softsynths ( edit or no edit )
(The patches on SY doesn't have anything to do with midi notes.)
With SY you can record the audio ( and with drivers resynth , reguitar ).
Edit the audio and playback in the daw , but not "play" the SY via midi.
You can also use it, as you do, for guitar to midi , to play other synths via midi , recording or live.
OBS. That has nothing to do with how the SY "creates" synth- or other sounds.
And you can control certain parameters on the SY with midi CC from for example a DAW.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

stub

I'll just restate what Brak(E)man said in a different way.

The SY-1000 is an audio processor. You send audio (your guitar) to the input (GK), and it processes that audio to do it's mojo. A side-feature is that it can convert the notes you play into MIDI for the purpose of sending those notes to another synth. The SY-1000 can process SOME MIDI, for example you can send it various MIDI data to switch FX on/off and control parameters. However, when MIDI notes come in via the MIDI IN port, the synths that normally process audio, aren't designed to produce sounds based on that kind of data.

The good news is that there are plenty of hardware and software synths (that are even better than those in the SY-1000) can be controlled by that recorded MIDI data. OS 10.5 (what is that Leopard?) is pretty long in the tooth, so you might need to dig to find a good synth in that era. Probably better to find a used hardware synth (even a rack version).

Introspeckle

Quote from: stub on December 05, 2022, 10:13:21 AMI'll just restate what Brak(E)man said in a different way.

The SY-1000 is an audio processor. You send audio (your guitar) to the input (GK), and it processes that audio to do it's mojo. A side-feature is that it can convert the notes you play into MIDI for the purpose of sending those notes to another synth. The SY-1000 can process SOME MIDI, for example you can send it various MIDI data to switch FX on/off and control parameters. However, when MIDI notes come in via the MIDI IN port, the synths that normally process audio, aren't designed to produce sounds based on that kind of data.

The good news is that there are plenty of hardware and software synths (that are even better than those in the SY-1000) can be controlled by that recorded MIDI data. OS 10.5 (what is that Leopard?) is pretty long in the tooth, so you might need to dig to find a good synth in that era. Probably better to find a used hardware synth (even a rack version).

Thank you both for the great information. I do want to do some conventional "synth" sounds with the SY-1000 but I actually want to do something different.
I want to have a clean guitar tone (that is synthetic) so I can edit the MIDI to my liking and then Reamp it and run it through pedals. At this point, I will obviously have to update my system to get a "guitar" vst instrument that has clean guitar-like sounds. Are you or anyone else aware of a great guitar VST that has these sounds that I'm looking for?
Thank you.

admin

Link below is fundamental MIDI vs Audio knowledge for all GK13 pin processor users

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

admin

Quote from: Introspeckle on December 05, 2022, 11:35:43 AMThank you both for the great information. I do want to do some conventional "synth" sounds with the SY-1000 but I actually want to do something different.
I want to have a clean guitar tone (that is synthetic) so I can edit the MIDI to my liking and then Reamp it and run it through pedals. At this point, I will obviously have to update my system to get a "guitar" vst instrument that has clean guitar-like sounds. Are you or anyone else aware of a great guitar VST that has these sounds that I'm looking for?
Thank you.

Suggest try another approach

Use the 8 in /8 out USB Audio feature of SY-1000 where each of the 6 strings can be recorded on separate audio track in a DAW app

Then you can set the SY-1000 USB Audio for "Re-Guitar" -where dry guitar tone for each string on individual Audio tracks can be used to drive the SY-1000 processor and create new sounds

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35130.0#msg258991

stub

If your goal is to record MIDI, then edit the MIDI tracks (fix mistakes, cut/paste, de-construct, etc. etc.), then output edited MIDI to control a synth or VI guitar sound; you'll probably want to update your machine at least a little. It is getting more difficult to find VI's (virtual instruments) that run on older OS's.

You might be able to find a simple sample VI or even perhaps a soundfont player that will play guitar tones. AAS has a couple guitar modeling instruments that are kind of interesting. I have string studio, but because I play guitar, I only use it for rare times I'm doing a MIDI mock-up.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/string-studio-vs-3/

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strum-gs-2/