"The Gibson" banjolele

Started by shawnb, December 03, 2022, 01:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

For something at the opposite end of the technology spectrum...

My brother in law just gifted me this ukulele from the 1920s.  Read up a bit, and it appears to be a Gibson UB2 - 8" drum & 14 resonator pins. 

Some time later, Gibson dropped the "The" from the headstock.

First order of business?  Tune it!  The tuning pegs won't hold a tune, they all just unwind.  Gotta go read up on ancient tuning peg maintenance...

You cannot view this attachment.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

admin

shawnb

These are the very tuners in question...   This video shows a couple ways to try & keep the original Waverly tuners. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

I think this banjolele had lots of use - plenty of wear on the neck, etc.  But I think it subsequently sat unmaintained for a long time.

I tried to tighten everything up, but the head wouldn't tune.  And the tuners were, uh, choppy...  "Friction" tuners, strings mounted directly on the post, no gears for a smoother ratio.  So you would skip from B to D# when trying to tune the 3rd string to C...

So...  I ordered a new calfskin head.  I found a replacement "antique" bridge (the old one was missing a piece).  New strings.  I tore it all apart, cleaned up a bunch of rust, & put it back together. 

Good thing, too, because the head had basically become fused with the drum & wouldn't tune. 

I tried not to alter anything, e.g., a light cleaning, but no refinish.  I cleaned rust off, but did not grind past the deep pitting.  Tried to leave everything as-is.  The fretboard had a hairline crack through most of it.  A couple cleanings with Fiddlebrite and the fretboard crack almost disappeared as the wood just absorbed the oils. 

Changing the calfskin was actually kinda easy. Very much like doing a piecrust!

Plays & sounds great now, tuners work, and it all looks MUCH better!

Chumly

The wood looks quite nice!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

shannonrichards

Why is it called a banjolele?

arkieboy

I assume it's a marketing thing trying to pick up on the popularity of ukuleles to help sell banjos.  Make a banjo the same size and tuning as a uke, call it something cool and get a slice of the market with the tooling and expertise you already have.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

admin_shawnb

The banjolele was rooted in vaudeville, where they needed something easy to play like a uke, but loud like a banjo.

George Formby was probably the most famous player back in the day, with his split stroke strumming style:

arkieboy

Ah!

One of my many cousins' husband is a pretty good Formby impersonator - as in earned money doing it.  I'm not sure what he has.  My brother has at least one banjo, but the one I know about is a 5 string with a long neck - IIRC a something about the design made it distinctly Birmingham (UK) made from the turn of the century.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

admin_shawnb

The end of that George Formby video shows some pretty impressive strumming technique.  Ragtime on Rockstars...

A quick tutorial in that technique, a fast 3-3-2 rhythm:

shannonrichards

Quote from: admin_shawnb on October 25, 2023, 06:56:40 AMThe banjolele was rooted in vaudeville, where they needed something easy to play like a uke, but loud like a banjo.

George Formby was probably the most famous player back in the day, with his split stroke strumming style:

Thank you for sharing.

drbill

I believe Peter Frampton started on one when he was young.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

shannonrichards

Is a banjolele just a shortened banjo?

admin_shawnb

Quote from: shannonrichards on November 02, 2023, 01:18:32 AMIs a banjolele just a shortened banjo?

No, it's more of a hybrid.  String type, # of strings, flat fretboard, and the tuners are more like a ukulele. 

They tended to repurpose banjo hardware, though, on the resonator side.  E.g., you can see in the pics that my tailpiece is designed for 5 steel strings.

shannonrichards

That's pretty neat, thank you for enlightening me.