GR55 Newbie Questions

Started by NightSky, November 13, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightSky

Hello all!
This my first post on the list. I am certain some of you hold valuable info that could help me tremendously! Please pardon if my question is completely stupid!!

I have been using a GR1 synth with my nylon string multiac SA for many years. Very simple set up where strings 5 and 6 are programed for bass and strings 1, 2, 3, 4 are programed for a slow attack string patch. I play mostly jazz tunes and sing. This allows me to play bass lines with strings while I sing along with predominantly guitar.

Recently my GR1 (my 2nd one) began making a static/cracking noise. I purchased a GR55 to keep working but am experiencing the following issues. The bass sounds/tones are diffenernt and do not have the definition of the GR1 tones (especially the picked and acoustic bass.. it is far too low, muddy and heavy!). I have found the modeled sounds DO have the definition but... when playing the 2nd string, sympathetic vibrations trigger notes on the bass strings that are not aceptable. Normally these vibrations would enhance the NATURAL tone, but in this case they are definitely not musical.

Can you help me figure out a solution... or another device I can use for bass and light strings on acoustic guitar.

THANK YOU!
All the best
Danny

So, How do I tame the low end on the acoustic bass and stop the sympathetic vibrations on the other strings?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
Danny

chrish

Boss SY1000 will do bass on 5 and 6 and light string pads on other strings without noticeable latency or tracking errors.

For guitar synths like the GR1 (sample triggers), some speak highly of the GR33 for best internal tracking results.

gumtown

In the GR-55 GK Setup menu, there are various controls to adjust the dynamic range and gating,
although in not very obvious naming conventions.

also backing down the GK Sensitivity for each string can help with the sympathetic vibrations/tones.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

NightSky

H Chrish... thanks for the reply!

Do you know if the SY1000 has somewhat natural sounding bass guitar or acoustic bass patches?
Thanks for your help and knowledge!

Danny

Quote from: chrish on November 13, 2022, 04:05:37 PMBoss SY1000 will do bass on 5 and 6 and light string pads on other strings without noticeable latency or tracking errors.

For guitar synths like the GR1 (sample triggers), some speak highly of the GR33 for best internal tracking results.

NightSky

Hello Gumtown.

I will definitely try backing down the string sensitivity... Thank you for the suggestion. There are a lot of parameters on this thing!

I am wondering if I it is possible to send the PCM acoustic bass tone through an EQ within the GR55 to carve out some of the low end and give it more focus.

Thank you!
Danny

Quote from: gumtown on November 13, 2022, 08:00:09 PMIn the GR-55 GK Setup menu, there are various controls to adjust the dynamic range and gating,
although in not very obvious naming conventions.

also backing down the GK Sensitivity for each string can help with the sympathetic vibrations/tones.

gumtown

Yes there is an EQ block at the end of the signal chain, which changes the entire output tone per patch.
If you use the GR-55FloorBoard editor, you will see the EQ block right there.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

Quote from: NightSky on November 15, 2022, 05:37:24 PMH Chrish... thanks for the reply!

Do you know if the SY1000 has somewhat natural sounding bass guitar or acoustic bass patches?
Thanks for your help and knowledge!

Danny

yea, good bass without the tracking errors or latency issues that PCM (sample) based guitar synths have. I've never used the modeling section of the GR55 so I don't know what that can do.

plexified

I would also suggest a few things that may help.

Lowering the GK pickup if possible. I am not a fan of having the GK as close to the strings as Roland suggests. Lowering picks up less string noise and puts more playing dynamic options in your right hand.

Also when creating PCM tones try to add a matching COSM tone. For example when using an organ PCM tone blend in a COSM Synth Organ, or in your case PCM Fretless Bass with a COSM Bass model of your choice.

The reason is for texture but to aide in the attack on the front of the note and increase tracking.It also expands your catalog of tones to work with.

Have Fun !