A bug and three suggestions

Started by Matthias K., October 25, 2022, 10:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias K.

Hi there,
I'm new here and since it is hard to get in touch with BOSS/Roland I thought I'd post some of my suggestions here.

Like always when I fool around with a new BOSS (and probably any other) toy, some quirks quickly become obvious. Like those:

• Bug (sort of): The Internal Pedal cannot be triggered by any Number Switch. I'd expect it to work with any switch in Manual Mode and see no reason why this should not be possible. After all, the Number Switches are listed as eligible triggers for the Internal Pedal.

• Suggestion: When in Memory Mode any action assigned to the particular patch number (not CURNUM-assignments) should not apply. The four other number switches don't perform assignments either in Memory Mode but change the patch and there might be a CURNUM assignment which only applies in Memory Mode).

• Suggestion: Like the Number Switches the Bank Up/Bank Down Switches should also be useable as differently assignable switches in Manual Mode and change back to their original state again when switching back to Memory Mode.

• Suggestion: The assigned colours of the Number Switches should also have an additional Manual Mode colour setting to reflect their differing Manual Mode targets.

More to come ...

admin

Quote from: Matthias K. on October 25, 2022, 10:20:59 AMHi there,
I'm new here and since it is hard to get in touch with BOSS/Roland I thought I'd post some of my suggestions here.

Like always when I fool around with a new BOSS (and probably any other) toy, some quirks quickly become obvious. Like those:

• Bug (sort of): The Internal Pedal cannot be triggered by any Number Switch. I'd expect it to work with any switch in Manual Mode and see no reason why this should not be possible. After all, the Number Switches are listed as eligible triggers for the Internal Pedal.

• Suggestion: When in Memory Mode any action assigned to the particular patch number (not CURNUM-assignments) should not apply. The four other number switches don't perform assignments either in Memory Mode but change the patch and there might be a CURNUM assignment which only applies in Memory Mode).

• Suggestion: Like the Number Switches the Bank Up/Bank Down Switches should also be useable as differently assignable switches in Manual Mode and change back to their original state again when switching back to Memory Mode.

• Suggestion: The assigned colours of the Number Switches should also have an additional Manual Mode colour setting to reflect their differing Manual Mode targets.

More to come ...

Add these to the GT-1000 Wish List thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23503.0

Matthias K.

Done. Thanks, dear admin!

PAH

Quote from: Matthias K. on October 25, 2022, 10:20:59 AM• Suggestion: When in Memory Mode any action assigned to the particular patch number (not CURNUM-assignments) should not apply. The four other number switches don't perform assignments either in Memory Mode but change the patch and there might be a CURNUM assignment which only applies in Memory Mode).

I disagree with this.  I have memory mode patches where all the number footswitches are configured with control functions and assigns, not patch select.  Instead, I've configured the bank up/down switches as Patch+/Patch-.  This essentially gives me multiple pedal boards, with the maximum number of usable footswitches.  I even use manual mode in combination with this to get alternate control functions on the numbered switches.

Matthias K.

I see your point, PAH. It's interesting to see how people use their switching freedom and your way of organizing patches is intriguing.

What I mean is an inconsistency in the functionality of the number switches compared to CTL 1 to 3: If I use the number switches as such only the current number reacts to assignments that are meant für the manual mode. The others numbers obviously change the patch. This is not consistent. Also not consistent – unless I am wrong – is that the internal pedal cannot be triggered by the number switches (though those can be chosen as triggers without any effect).

That's why I am thinking that the role of the number switches is to be optimized. Even if you use them like you do you cannot perform exactly the same tasks with them compared to the CTL switches. Hence my suggestion to have a clear distinction when they are being used as number switches and to grant them full tweakability (including a different LED colors setting) when they are changed to manual mode. Would even work in your use case, I think.

PAH

OK...

Regarding assigns and control functions and manual mode... there are separate control functions for switches 1-5 for memory and manual mode, but switches 1-5 are not differentiated for assigns.  I agree that is a bug, but the solution should be to add Manual 1 - Manual 5 as additional "sources" for assigns.  As is, an assign set a number switch as source will affect that switch in both memory and manual mode.  If in memory mode you have the number switch set to a patch number, then you won't notice because the patch changes at the same time the assign happens, and you never notice the assign happened.  But if you have some other functions for the number switch in memory and manual mode, the assign is shared and applies to both modes (which sucks).

Regarding the internal pedal trigger... yeah, they should add 1 -5 and manual 1 - 5 as possible triggers.

Boisdelac

Trigger the internal pedal ... doesn´t it work when assigning a No.-button as a trigger at all???

I expect, that it won´t work correctly if you are in memory mode, and using e.g. patch No. 3, you cannot use No. 4 button to trigger the internal pedal.

Matthias K.

Quote from: Boisdelac on November 27, 2022, 02:59:35 AMTrigger the internal pedal ... does´t it work when assigning a No.-switch as a trigger???

No, it does not. You CAN select any number switch as a trigger but it won't do anything. The role of the number switches in Memory mode should be entirely separated from their role in Manual mode. Like in Pedalboard mode. Right now this is not the case and what they do in Manual mode feels a bit like an afterthought.

Boisdelac

In my oppinion, leave the assign options like they are.
Most users don't complain about the current state of the assigning options, and they would have to adapt if your preferences for the type of mapping were adopted.

Another hint ... use the GT1000 in "Helix-Snapshot-Mode"

Set the GT1000 in memory mode. Leave the bank up/down and the control buttons in default settings. Copy one patch (in Helix --> Snapshot) to bank x1..5 and make the different settings for each patch. So you have 5 different sounds based on one base-sound and in addition 3 control-buttons to modify these sounds. The time it takes the device to switch between two patches is so short, that you won't notice the switch while playing.

Matthias K.

It's just that inconsistency in behavior never makes for a good user interface. In Manual mode as well as in Pedalboard mode the number switches are "second class citizens" without any indication or apparent reason.

What I'd like to see doesn't take anything away from other's approaches but just adds expected (and in tone studio wrongly offered) abilities.

Thanks for your tip. My three default patches work just like this — the same basic setting plus different ,,patches-as-snapshots". Even spillover of long delay trails works nicely here. Nevertheless I like to craft fairly complex patches (always running out of assigns) that give me the option to combine as many interesting combinations as possible freely in a live situation — each patch a glorified pedalboard in it's according sonic world.

Different folks, different strokes I guess.