looking for a Roland GR BASS pickup/driver replacement/spare

Started by commds, August 18, 2022, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

commds

I managed to get a set of internals from a roland GR bass synth, an almost pristine looking PCB, complete with the 24 pin connector, but its missing the actual pickup/driver portion of it. Anyone got a spare theyd be willing to sell? Or is there maybe any way you can wire in a replacement, like a gk3B pickup, or even a dirty replacement like one of those GVOX midi pickups? Its funny because I also have a G77 floor unit that for some reason only gets sound out of one string (going to send to synth spa at some point), its almost like im building the worlds worst frankenstein Synth bass setup....
You cannot view this attachment.

chrish

G33 Bass looking for parts.No hex on it. Just wood.

https://reverb.com/item/5098
2822-roland-g-33-bass-guitar-1982-walnut-body-and-neck-husk-synth-controller-fujigen-greco

chrish

commds

LOL, yep, thats the guy I got the guts from. He posted the torn up synth bass, one piece at a time ALONGSIDE a fully functional one with the floor pedal and everything. Sadly I missed the pickup by a day or two. Just installing a 13 pin isnt what im looking for for this particular project. Would rather restore this board for use with its intended hardware.

chrish

Quote from: commds on August 19, 2022, 02:49:53 PMWould rather restore this board for use with its intended hardware.

I was thinking the hex pup
 from the GK internal kit could be used for 24 pin board. Or you can do both 13 and 24 pin out.

That's what I do with my Roland G505 guitar.

commds

Do you think that could work? Like say get a gk3 bass pickup kit and splice the driver to a home made ribbon cable? And if so, any sort of idiot proof guide out there on how to do it? Im a caveman at best with a soldering gun, though I succeed more times than fail. Cant read wiring diagrams yet, unless theyre literally picture books, lol.

chrish

Quote from: commds on August 20, 2022, 09:47:32 AMDo you think that could work? Like say get a gk3 bass pickup kit and splice the driver to a home made ribbon cable? And if so, any sort of idiot proof guide out there on how to do it? Im a caveman at best with a soldering gun, though I succeed more times than fail. Cant read wiring diagrams yet, unless theyre literally picture books, lol.
Same here. My G505 has  an external GK3 mounted and the two hex (13 pin and 24 pin) pickups are mounted together with double sided sticky tape.

I have another G505 that I took the hex pickup off to put on a G303, which I decided was too heavy and awkward so I sold it. That 505 will get a new replacement hex from a GK internal kit that I purchased from the UK.

The GK preamp from that kit will go into a G202 and I plan to split and route the existing hex pup signal off of the 24 pin ribbon connector. Think I can just insert the cable pins from the hex pup (after removing its connector plastic )into that 24 pin connector on the 24 pin board, so no soldering.

My only concern is I don't really know what I'm doing, but that's never stopped me before. Lol

drjoness2001

I have a NOS unused pickup from the BAK-1, this is the pickup for the Roland G-77 bass guitar synth controller.

commds

OMG, how much? Also, are you the man himself, Mr. Wayne Joness?  :o

commds

Just throwing it out there that im still looking for a driver/pickup....

Managed to send a couple messages back and forth with Mr Joness, but right after he quoted me a price, all contact ceased..... :'(  Really hope I didnt offend him or something, also hope HE is ok. Already feel like a creepy stalker with the three or four messages ive sent him with no response....

In case its something weird like my messages are being spam boxed, If you see my post on here Mr Joness (or if any other forum members who are in contact with him would be willing to shoot him a message maybe. Even if his response is "nah, hes weird, tell him to f off", I can take it, would rather that then being ghosted), reply to it and we can maybe figure out a different means of communication. I have the cash, can pay as soon as needed.

Otherwise....if anyone ELSE has a spare driver laying around....

commds

YES! Happy to say Mr. Joness is back in contact with me, so hopefully ill know by tomorrow if this thread can be listed as a success!

commds

New pickup on the way, so hopefully I have a complete set of synth bass guts. Now to find a new bass to install them in....any suggestions?