Is it too early for an update prediction/wishlist thread?

Started by Magic Russ, July 30, 2022, 10:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic Russ

I have heard on other forums that BOSS is working on fixing the IR issue.  Any guesses as to what comes next?  Or what you are hoping comes next?

gumtown

Just bug fixes for the near future.
When adding new features, Boss will also have to update and test the Tone Studio editor across 4 different operating system platforms, so I don't see them doing any new features until (if at all) a major version update (v2.00 ?)

But Boss, please prove me wrong. :-)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Magic Russ

In terms of features, one thing I would like is if you could program the bank up and bank down pedals in manual mode. 

As far as components, something like a Tone Bender would be top of my wishlist, although I would probably predict we will see some of the "lost classics" like Slicer brought back first.

Speaking of Tone Studio, even though it's pretty good, there are a few things I might want to change in it, but I'll have to save that for another post.

Magic Russ

It also wouldn't hurt if they improved the speed transmitting from GX-100 to BTS.  I've heard the bluetooth transfer is pretty bad, but even over USB it is still not quick.

admin

Quote from: Magic Russ on August 03, 2022, 12:06:19 PMIt also wouldn't hurt if they improved the speed transmitting from GX-100 to BTS.  I've heard the bluetooth transfer is pretty bad, but even over USB it is still not quick.

Agreed

True there are many parameters in the GX-100 and GT-1000

But the Boss Tone Studio User experience is extremely slow, and taxes the CPU.

By contrast I've been using Wireless BLE control with native apps for Fender GTX-100, Marshall CODE 50, Line-6 Firehawk FX for years.

All those provide instant wireless  patch changes, instant bi directional editing of patches- I just assumed Roland/Boss in 2022 could match or compete with those wireless editing user experiences provided by competing products since 2015.

Sadly the sluggish responding Boss GX-100  wireless mobile Boss Tone Studio app spoils the fun.
( no wonder GX-100 youtubers never demonstrate the BTS Mobile for GX-100 editing, or worse simply state "I can't see why you would ever use  a wireless editor at a live gig"  ( which is insider speak for " don't reveal the shortcomming of the unit pre-sale.

HELLO- in a cover band I'd use an iPad to make a real time FX tweak mid song on my Kemper Stage - works fast and efficiently
 Can't do that with GX-100

Might as well learn to edit everything on the unit without Boss Tone Studio

gumtown

One strange thing I have found while developing a custom Bluetooth BLE interface with my FxFloorBoard editor software,
 is while using the WIDI  uHost plugged into the Katana USB port, is I get lightning fast data transfer, at least 5 x faster than midi.
It seems to me that Roland/Boss has crippled their systems by imposing the speed restrictions from within their USB driver software, and the hardware is capable of much fast speeds over USB.
Same could apply the the GX-100 and GT-1000, yeah, I get that to have compliance, your "midi" connections should be set to 31.25kHz, but I don't see why they have to impose this data rate restriction across the board.

The hardware (it seems) is capable of much faster data speeds, but is limited by self imposed conformance to a 35 years old rule (midi 1.0 spec) they helped design themselves.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: gumtown on August 03, 2022, 05:32:25 PMOne strange thing I have found while developing a custom Bluetooth BLE interface with my FxFloorBoard editor software,
 is while using the WIDI  uHost plugged into the Katana USB port, is I get lightning fast data transfer, at least 5 x faster than midi.
It seems to me that Roland/Boss has crippled their systems by imposing the speed restrictions from within their USB driver software, and the hardware is capable of much fast speeds over USB.
Same could apply the the GX-100 and GT-1000, yeah, I get that to have compliance, your "midi" connections should be set to 31.25kHz, but I don't see why they have to impose this data rate restriction across the board.

The hardware (it seems) is capable of much faster data speeds, but is limited by self imposed conformance to a 35 years old rule (midi 1.0 spec) they helped design themselves.

If you can get 100& compatibility and 5x faster data transfer speed using third party WIDI UHost, I'll spread the news everywhere and hopefully folks will contribute

gumtown

As far as I'm aware, the only "non-compliant" device the uHost supports is the Katana.
Might be worth while asking the folks at CME Widi if they can extend the USB Host support to other Roland/Boss products.

admin

Quote from: gumtown on August 03, 2022, 07:24:25 PMAs far as I'm aware, the only "non-compliant" device the uHost supports is the Katana.
Might be worth while asking the folks at CME Widi if they can extend the USB Host support to other Roland/Boss products.

I understand it also works with GT-1

Magic Russ

One thing I miss from earlier GT units is the Effect Presets.  It would be nice if BTS could handle something like that.

Magic Russ

Here's another nice idea for BTS - In the assigns page, instead of having to scroll through the dropdown, it would be nice to be able to point on the image of the component.  That will save time and probably avoid confusion if you have multiple components of similar types in your chain.

Magic Russ

Quote from: gumtown on July 30, 2022, 04:22:14 PMJust bug fixes for the near future.
When adding new features, Boss will also have to update and test the Tone Studio editor across 4 different operating system platforms, so I don't see them doing any new features until (if at all) a major version update (v2.00 ?)

But Boss, please prove me wrong. :-)

By this point in the GT-1000 life cycle they had a far amount of updates.  I'm starting to think next update comes in January-March.

Magic Russ

Now I'm thinking April.  It seems that is their big month for updates so they can show new features at NAMM.

gumtown

Quote from: gumtown on August 03, 2022, 07:24:25 PMAs far as I'm aware, the only "non-compliant" device the uHost supports is the Katana.
I have tried the CME Widi uHost on quite a few Roland and Boss device USB ports, and seems to work on all so far.

admin

Quote from: Magic Russ on February 28, 2023, 01:56:01 PMNow I'm thinking April.  It seems that is their big month for updates so they can show new features at NAMM.

I'm thinking instead of firmware - they  release a color touchscreen "GT-1100" new flagship instead

The GT-1000 is 5 years old

Magic Russ

They are still selling the GT-100 which is 11 years old.

gumtown

Quote from: Magic Russ on February 28, 2023, 06:21:45 PMThey are still selling the GT-100 which is 11 years old.

I imagine a 6 square acre warehouse stacked full of them, from over production,
 as the price has not moved much on these over the years compared to new units under new production costs.

gumtown

Boss only have a limited size development team,
 and not seeing any GT-1000 or GX-100 updates as promised, as far back as a year ago by Yoshi in one of has last videos on the GT-1000,
 makes me think they have moved onto bigger and better things yet to come.

I think Boss now realize the GT-1000 U.I is dated, and the peak purchase wave has passed,
 the GX-100 seems more popular for less effects/features,
  the color touch screen user interface being the attractive feature,
 which is winning over the buyers more than the actual internal effect set.

Magic Russ

Quote from: gumtown on February 28, 2023, 07:08:43 PMI imagine a 6 square acre warehouse stacked full of them, from over production,
 as the price has not moved much on these over the years compared to new units under new production costs.

They are both selling for $599 at most US retailers.  Or I should say they are both on sale for the same price.  I have no real idea how well they might be selling.

Magic Russ

Quote from: gumtown on February 28, 2023, 07:12:46 PMBoss only have a limited size development team,
 and not seeing any GT-1000 or GX-100 updates as promised, as far back as a year ago by Yoshi in one of has last videos on the GT-1000,
 makes me think they have moved onto bigger and better things yet to come.
Definitely wondering what that could be.

Quote from: gumtown on February 28, 2023, 07:12:46 PMI think Boss now realize the GT-1000 U.I is dated, and the peak purchase wave has passed,
 the GX-100 seems more popular for less effects/features,
  the color touch screen user interface being the attractive feature,
 which is winning over the buyers more than the actual internal effect set.

It's about half the price for all the amps, 90% of the effects, fewer connection options.  In some ways you have more flexibility with one, in others more flexibility with the other.

I'm not sure the touch screen interface is pulling people in.  I use BTS instead.  If I'm not on my computer I can use it on my laptop or cell.

aliensporebomb

Some good questions.  As example the SY-1000 recently had a bugfix for a problem that actually introduced another (acoustic guitar models produce undesirable random clicking in the audio path) and word was this bug was confirmed by Boss, some of us are waiting for the fix for that.

Thinking - it must take a while to do these things and maybe the decision to continue development on shipping products is based on how well they sell.   

I don't think we've ever gotten any kind of report on how well these things sell.  I do know the GR-50 sold sufficiently well that it's still in production years after it was produced.   The GT-1000 also got several MAJOR feature updates over time which tells me that must have sold well too.  I suspected the GX-100 was a subset of features in the GT-1K.

After Yoshi stepped down from his position to retire and then a major player in the team for these systems actually passed away I have no idea who the stakeholders for these products is now. 

I don't know if Admin here even knows and how well they understand english since most of the folks behind these are based in Japan. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

QuoteI do know the GR-50 sold sufficiently well that it's still in production years after it was produced.

GR-50 is long dead 1989-1994

GR-55 is still in production (2011 to present)  as it's their only Guitar to PCM unit which triggers it's internal PCM Synth sounds faster than Guitar to MIDI

QuoteI don't know if Admin here even knows and how well they understand english since most of the folks behind these are based in Japan.

Yoshi cultivated a culture at Roland/Boss to continue Guitar synth products , and within the new regime, some speak English very well. A few of us here at VGUITARFORUMS were introduced to the entire Boss Guitar Synth development team from Japan when we had our SY-1000 summit at NAMM .  They do check in here to read and monitor their users experience

Most of them are on Facebook and accessible.  And Yoshi continues to be a resource for Boss on a periodic basis

Sadly in 2023 it seems most of the people interested in all the products we feature here have all migrated to separate splintered  Facebook groups , with their redundant same 6 questions every week , to a world who cant use search engines - the Facebook Katana group is larger than VGUITARFORUMS-( despite all the best info being right here).

We remain not even considered as a destination for gaining knowledge by  guitarists at large , mostly due to the disdain for the  concept of adding divided pickups to a guitar, because there remains negative cultural stigma in the guitar world for that activity

Can't please everybody,  and many see guitar  forums as the location to enforce closed minded  group think - and berate those who deviate from their personal developed mindset on their own perceived " correct path " forward- in a world which it's obvious personal hardship occurs to those who break the rules.  The Canon fodder has been groomed and ready for action

aliensporebomb

Sorry - that's what I meant.   GR-55.  I'm not surprised it's still in production.   If they knew how well it would sell you would think they might have updated it from time to time.   But no!
And the whole "We'll let third parties create apps for it" thing.   It's great Gumtown created apps for various Roland gear but it's not like he was on their payroll.

Right, I just had someone ask me on my facebook page about guitar synths that don't require a GK pickup.  Face it, people with vintage guitars don't want to bolt one on.  I get it.  But Maghex is the way to go if you want certain things.   As I do.

Magic Russ

The weird thing is that even though I have never been a big IR user, and am perfectly happy with the stock cabs, I am really annoyed that IRs are muffled in the GX.  If they didn't include an IR loader I really would not have cared.

I'd much rather see them add a new fuzz.  Granted they have been including only the same three for almost 30 years, so that might not be the most likely improvement.

I'd also like to see them add back the slicer and feedbacker.

But for some reason the IR bug just bothers me. 

aliensporebomb

So third party IRs sound muffled?   Do you have an audio example?