Question - Installing ghost loaded TOM bridge

Started by Maimroid, July 29, 2022, 08:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maimroid

Hello,
I'm installing a graphtech ghost loaded tune o matic bridge with all the wires coming out of it.
The instructions gives 2 ways to feed the wires into the guitar..
1. Cut out 6 notches out of the bottom of the neck mag pickup ring and run your wires into the body through that opening
2. Drill 6 separate holes in the bridge baseplate (under the bridge) and feed the wires directly into the body through those.

BUT...could I just drill 1 larger hole under the base plate instead of 6 separate ones and just feed all the wires into the body through the single hole? The wires would have to be bunched together to fit through. Would that cause any issues?

Thanks!

admin

Should read
1. Cut out 6 notches out of the bottom of the Bridge mag pickup ring and run your wires into the body through that opening

In theory it's possible using one hole for all 6 wires may increase crosstalk

Maimroid

Quote from: admin on July 30, 2022, 01:57:35 PMShould read
1. Cut out 6 notches out of the bottom of the Bridge mag pickup ring and run your wires into the body through that opening

In theory it's possible using one hole for all 6 wires may increase crosstalk

Right. The bridge pickup, totally. Thank you.
The possible crosstalk is the worry. Id assume that even with 6 separate holes the piezo wires would end up bundled and touching as they're snaked into the control cavity, in most cases anyway.
I wonder if I could use electrical tape to insulate the individual wires.
I may just go through the notches cut into the bridge pickup. I'm basically trying to make this as invisible as possible though.

philjynx

Insulation has no (significant) effect on induction, if it did, transformers wouldn't work.

Maimroid

Quote from: philjynx on July 31, 2022, 02:47:14 PMInsulation has no (significant) effect on induction, if it did, transformers wouldn't work.

Okay. Thanks.
I also just realized that the instructions to drill 6 separate holes into the bridge baseplate was in regards to strat style saddles. (w/ the metal baseplate)
With a TOM bridge there is no baseplate. I guess I'll have to do some more searching for vids/tutorials of someone installing a Ghost loaded TOM. My impulse is to drill a large hole from under the bridge, through the center block, at an angle, into the control cavity, bundle the piezo wires and feed them into the cavity that way.
If anyone has a link of someone installing a ghost loaded TOM bridge, that would be amazing.