Amps

Started by Tramontana, July 21, 2022, 06:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tramontana

Hi
after 10 years I started using my vg99 again.

the digital world has all changed.
is the vg 99 still good as an amp simulator?

have they made loudspeakers / amps that sound good like guitar and synth?

I need to hear without using the PA

Antonuzzo

Does it compare to the likes of the Helix or the Kemper? Not really.

Is it a good amp sim? Hell yes.

The VG-99 was pretty much the pinnacle of that tech when it launched and it still sounds fantastic today. Later units have got better, no doubt about it, and compared to those (or real amps), it doesn't have the same response or sense of life. But it's good enough for probably 95% of applications and some of the models still hold up very well indeed.

Headless68

I've had Helix / Kemper / Fractal / Quad cortex, yet I still use the VG99 more than anything else & live gigging with it several times a month  - it aint dead yet :-)

Tramontana

you are right ... the vg 99 is still an amazing machine.
I did not remember how good it sounds, I don't feel need for a tube amp.

i am deciding which amps fr fr to buy.

those dedicated to guitars have an input ...
 but I would also like to mix a 33 gr.

better to divide the 2 signals?
vg 99 to the amp and gr 33 to the mixer?
 to choose an amp guitar fr with 2 inputs?
a keyboard amp?
a fr fr guitar amp with just one input and a small mixer?

at home I use a small mixer but it seems to change the tones a bit

aliensporebomb

Recommendation: if you have a VG-99 you can add the Flamma FS07 to it in order to add IR capability to it in stereo.  I'm surprised at how it improved the "guitaristic" aspects of the box.

As far as FFRR - I've been using my studio monitors from home during rare post-Covid gigs.  They are not really designed for the live gig environment and I know there are FFRR live units to use but I haven't sprang for any as yet.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Tramontana

I'm gearing up to take advantage of vg 99 and gr 33 ..
I'm playing with the Headrush ... I ordered a flamma cabinet simulation, better to connect it in send retur or directly output vg 99 and then amp?

I have a crazy idea .. I would also like to connect a valve pedal in addition to the vg. 99 to the flamma

admin

Quote from: Tramontana on September 15, 2022, 02:53:10 PMI'm gearing up to take advantage of vg 99 and gr 33 ..
I'm playing with the Headrush ... I ordered a flamma cabinet simulation, better to connect it in send retur or directly output vg 99 and then amp?

I have a crazy idea .. I would also like to connect a valve pedal in addition to the vg. 99 to the flamma

No FX Loop on VG-99, so Flamma CAB Sim connects to VG-99 Output

aliensporebomb

That's what I do: VG-99 to Flamma in stereo.   Quite interesting.  Produces some dimensionality and "real-ness".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Headless68

my experience with Flamma FS07 with the VG99 - it sounds 'different' but, when I tweak the mic / EQ on the VG99 using stock cabs I can get sound to be like whatever the Flamma is doing, so, I decided to just use the VG99 as is, infact my only addition at the moment is a looper as that is one thing the VG99 just can't 'really' pull off :-)