Independent stereo inputs?

Started by leadFarmer, September 27, 2022, 01:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leadFarmer

Hi, wondering if anyone can help out on something... I've been trying to work out if the GT-1000 Core can suit my use case or if anyone has any alternative recommendations.

I'm a solo acoustic guitarist, my guitar has a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend pickup which is made up of a humbucker pickup and a cardiod microphone on a little goose inside the guitar body. If I use a TRS or Y cable then I can take these two signals out of the guitar independently and process them in different ways. This is helpful as the microphone will be prone to feedback and could do with its own EQ to tame the resonant frequencies of the body of the guitar.

I think the Core could potentially be used to replace a lot of the pedals I'm using at the moment and give me a lot of sonic options I don't currently have, but for it to work for me I would need to be able to run the two outputs of the guitar into the Core and have different processing and effects on each before they are combined. Nothing I've seen or read makes it clear if this is possible or not.

Can this be achieved either with the stereo input or perhaps by abusing one of the FX loop returns and if so, would there be any issues with doing this?

Also, does anyone have any thought on how the Core performs as an acoustic processor in general?

If it's not suitable then would anyone have any other suggestions for this use case?

Thanks.

gumtown

The Returns are high impedance so should be good for a second independent input, just arrange the signal chain to suit the two inputs being separately processed.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

leadFarmer

Thanks @gumtown, that's exactly what I needed to know.

dfalck

I use my GT1000 returns for feeding in my iPad synths. I run the stereo return block on a parallel path with my normal guitar signal. It works well so far.
My signal chain:

Guitar with GK3 pickup> Gp10 & Keith McMillan 12 Step foot keyboard >Midx20 Midi box> ipad running Korg Module Pro and SynthOne in AUM > GT1000 returns
GP10 outputs > inputs of GT1000.

Sorry for the text version of a proper flow chart.
VG/synth gear:
Fishman Tripleplay Connect, GK-2,GK-3,GK-5,GP-10, GT1000 Core, SY-1000, GM-800, Morningstar MC8, iPad with AUM and AUV3 plugins.

leadFarmer

Thanks @dfalck.

In case it helps anyone else, I've got the core now and it has been working fine for my needs. The stereo inputs can be processed independently by having a Div as the first block in the chain and then distinct effects in each of the two paths. It's also possible to mix in two more signals to the signal using the other Divs, Mix's and Send / Returns. It may be possible to do this with just the S/R's using the "Direct mix" mode of that block and free up the Div's / Mix's but I haven't tried that yet.

Overall, I'm super impressed with the flexibility of the unit. You need to invest a bit of time into figuring out how to do certain things but I haven't really found any significant blockers to any of the things I've wanted it to do yet. You get really powerful routing and processing that you can set up completely differently on each patch.