An introduction to Sympodius

Started by Sympodius, May 26, 2009, 09:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sympodius

The first live action film that I ever saw at the cinema was Back to the Future. I think I was about four or five at the time. And I remember thinking that Marty McFly was about the coolest thing ever... and always would be. And a large part of that feeling was seeing him play Johnny B. Goode. It was at that moment that I fell in love with the guitar.

Not that I told anyone.

I learned to play violin and piano (largely because my sister had learned both already) but never really took to them. One year when we brought down our fake Christmas tree from the loft, my Dad also brought down an old 'Kent' electric guitar. I didn't even know he could play guitar. He showed me some stuff and let me play with it, but when the tree went back in the loft, so did the guitar. I don't think I expressed clearly to my father that I would have liked to continue playing with it, and I don't think he realised my interest was genuine.

The next year, I made sure that everyone understood.

I taught myself over the course of 6 months and was surprised to get a shiny new guitar for my birthday. My parents had been so impressed at my progress that they wanted to get me an upgrade. I got a Jim Deacon 'Les Paul' Copy. And that was when I knew that I wanted a real Les Paul before all other guitars.

The following year I came third in a music festival at my school. The two people who beat me had Grade 8 with Distinction from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (my sister actually won). Having only been teaching myself for just over a year, I was delighted. That gave me a real boost and I decided to start a band called, "engeo." (http://www.engeo.co.uk)

I think that's about as much of my musical background as anyone would want to know. I am a mediocre musician at best, but I play for my own pleasure. Music forms a large part of my life, but does not dominate.

I spend most of my time studying to get a Ph.D. in Computing Science from the University of Glasgow. I have lived in Scotland all my life, but I frequently travel abroad.

It's great to be part of this community and I thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful.
Time is not now; space is not here;
thoughts are not existence; and life not always clear ...

Gibson SG Voodoo (Serial: 00294552)
Gibson Les Paul Dark Fire (Serial: DF 0683)