Can i install Roland GK3 at an angle?

Started by Dettroxx, May 25, 2022, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dettroxx

Hello,
i have multiscale 6-string headless guitar, and i want to set up roland GK3 Kit on it. Can i install it like on photo below. Yes or no and why (please describe it, thanks)

You cannot view this attachment.

admin

Sure

Just set individual string distances on GK Settings on your GK processor

Dettroxx

Will angle (not perpendicular install) affect to anything?

admin

Just set your distances. To achieve correct voicing

Read this thread for other details on crosstalk ( too far from bridge )
Or diminished string levels ( too close to bridge)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13322.0

mooncaine

It's a reasonable question. Of course, admin is correct. The answer is "Yes, you can!"

I have several guitars with the GK-3 or GK-2A slanted. I can't show you a pic now (forum got redesigned and I don't see a way to do it), but the good news is, you don't need a pic. The way you did it, as seen in your photo, should work.

gumbo

"I can't show you a pic now (forum got redesigned and I don't see a way to do it),"

...use the "Post reply" button, NOT the "Quick reply"...all the attachment stuff is still there..

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumbo

Essentially, the 'point' to the answer to the OP's question simply is:-

The (can-be-critical) distance for 'bridge to GK pickup' is ACTUALLY the distance from the SADDLE BREAK POINT to the GK pickup...

That is shown to be relatively consistent over all 6 strings in the OP's attached pic...so in this case, no problems!

HTH the OP and anyone else wondering about this...  ...just saying.. ;)

AND ALSO, since the OP has obviously reversed the GK pickup, he will have to either:
 a) Swap the wiring to the six pickups
OR
 b) Tell the synth unit (if it is capable) to expect six signals from a reversed pickup....

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Dettroxx

I will use BOSS SY-1000 and it supports reverse mode, but main issue: what to select in scale settings? they all for fixed scale. Or maybe it doesn't matter and i can choose for example 648mm and set offset from center of each humbucker in Roland GK3 pickup to appropriate bridge saddles?

mooncaine

Use the distance In other words string lengths of the g or d string to give you an idea what scaling you should put in. And feel free to change it cuz it's just a setting. So if you're playing and it sounds too weird or you just want to find out what it sounds like, change that setting.

My guitar is a 25.5 in scale so I just went with that for the setting and I didn't worry about it. Now it could be and I'm not getting the absolute optimal performance that I'm modeling processor can offer, but... Since I love the tones I'm getting, I find it's probably not a big deal either way.

My steinberger spirit has a GK2A pickup on it slanted quite a bit, so, sure, the low e string is probably 24 in long, and the height e string is probably 25 point something inches long. Seems to be working great for me.