GX-100 Vs GT-1000

Started by Slartibartfarst42, March 04, 2022, 06:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slartibartfarst42

A while ago I asked if there was a cheaper option to the GT-1000 that would suit me and although the Pod Go looked a good unit, I just didn't like the Line6 modelling as the Boss AIRED stuff sounds so much better, especially the X amps in the Marshall territory. A quick look at the GX100 initially makes me think this might be perfect.

I don't need many amps, just very good ones that cover clean to Metal. I don't need a billion simultaneous effects, but overdrive, delay, reverb, chorus, boost, EQ and phaser/flanger will probably be used. That's well inside what the GX100 seems capable of doing. I'd probably like to be able to channel switch between amps or maybe go from one to both. I'd probably need 4 or 5 of those effects to be footswitchable. I prefer things to be simple to use rather than having a million parameters like my old Atomic. I'd need to be able to record, connect it to my IRT-X cabinet that I use as a monitor and I'd need to be able to connect it to the FOH. A looper would be good.

Am I missing something or will the GX100 do all of that just as well as the GT1000?

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Slartibartfarst42

A bit of a nerdy question this that is grounded entirely in my very limited knowledge.

Will the GX100 sound the same as the GT1000 in terms of tones. I see that the amp models and cabs are the same, but will the lower sampling rate make them sound different? I notice that the GX100 is 48kHz while the GT1000 is 96kHz but that means absolutely nothing to me. My old Atomic AmpliFire was 48kHz and that sounded better to me than a Helix but not as good as the GT1000, so does this difference make a significant difference in the real world? They all seem to use dual DSP which seems to be important so does the GX100 also have dual DSP?

admin

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Slartibartfarst42 on March 05, 2022, 05:55:55 PM
A bit of a nerdy question this that is grounded entirely in my very limited knowledge.

Will the GX100 sound the same as the GT1000 in terms of tones. I see that the amp models and cabs are the same, but will the lower sampling rate make them sound different? I notice that the GX100 is 48kHz while the GT1000 is 96kHz but that means absolutely nothing to me. My old Atomic AmpliFire was 48kHz and that sounded better to me than a Helix but not as good as the GT1000, so does this difference make a significant difference in the real world? They all seem to use dual DSP which seems to be important so does the GX100 also have dual DSP?
CDs are 44.1KHz 16 bits. The GX100 is 48KHz 24 bits. Should get you there.

gumtown

SY-1000 is 24 bit 48kHz and also with the GT-1000 amps.
No AIRD label on the SY, so the GX is going to be somewhere between an SY and GT.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Slartibartfarst42

So, although the higher spec on the GT1000 appears to be better for sound, in the real world it will make no difference and they will sound exactly the same. Having watched that video, the lack of XLR connectors seemed more significant and I imagine even then it wouldn't make much difference for pub gigs.

The more I look at this, the more the GX100 looks like a really good value buy.

Magic Russ

One of the things they didn't go into on that comparison video was the effects that were lost and gained.
Lost
- A few delay and chorus modes like DD-200, SDE-2000, and CE-1
- Less popular effects such as Humanizer, slicer, feedbacker, sitar sim

Gained
- Script phaser

Slartibartfarst42

Essentially there really doesn't appear to be much difference between this and the GT-1000. The amp models are the same, most of the effects are the same, the UI is actually better/easier on the GX-100 and it's a fraction of the price. You don't really lose too much and what you do lose, is stuff I'm not that likely to use or can work around. As long as I can get a really good tone for clean, crunch and high gain, that's me pretty much sorted for amps. I tend not to use a billion effects anyway so I suspect 15 blocks will be ample. I really can't see why I'd want to pay the extra for the GT-1000 so this morning I placed my order for the GX-100. I can't wait for it to arrive  ;D

Magic Russ

Also surprisingly it looks like they dropped the 2x2 Chorus and Auto Wah.

jozart

No Sound Hold in GX-100 - aside from the Tera Echo triggered "freeze" and the Looper

I can understand omitting Auto Wah and Slicer, as these can be created using a Wave Pedal assignment.

The GX-100 also has a few features in its favor that are missing from GT-1000:

1. In GX-100, bass effects are always available, whereas in GT-1000 they are only available in Bass Mode.

2. GX-100 manuals are online and searchable at the Roland site, for example:

https://static.roland.com/manuals/gx-100_parameter/eng/index.html

jozart

GX-100 input settings are organized more conveniently than GT-1000.

https://youtu.be/vvUlxQWYRGk?t=15m53s

Slartibartfarst42

I ordered the GX-100 last night and it should arrive at the end of May. That's fine with me as I'm out of the country until the end of July anyway, but I can't wait to try it out properly. I have no doubt it will be an improvement from my old Atomic AmpliFire 6. I also took the opportunity to order some Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm headphones. I've never tried them myself but a number of outlets all recommended them so I assume they are genuinely good. I really can't wait to get back to the UK as I also have a new LTD M-1000E waiting for me with a DiMarzio Super Distortion and Bare Knuckle Emerald ready to be installed. I'm counting down the days!!!

Boisdelac

The GT1000 has more footswitches for the CTL function (3 vs.2) and also more footswitches for selecting patches in a bank (5 vs.4). This is a big advantage for me because I always work in memory mode and I use one patch per song with different additional functions controlled by the CTL buttons.

Magic Russ

Roland's take

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4508431369627-GX-100-Differences-between-the-GX-100-and-GT-1000

While it lists the number of effects types in the GX-100 as 154, vs 145 in the GT-100, this is misleading.  Many of the effects that were considered an effects mode are now listed under their own effect blocks.  For example Tera Echo used to be a part of the Reverb block and is now its own effect.

The following effects are in the GT-1000 but not in the GX-100:

Bass Drv
CE-1 Chorus
CE-1 Vibrato
Tape Delay (although you get that as a mode on other delays)
Warm Delay
Glitch Delay
Echoplex
Bin Drum Echo
SDE 3000
DD-20 Standard
DD-20 Analog
Auto-Wah
Feedbacker
Humanizer
Sitar Sim
Slicer
Mastering FX

The GX-100 has the following new effects
Poly Octave
Prime Vibrato

The GX-100 also has a few parameters on delay and reverb that are not there on GT-1000.  The same holds true for Phaser and Flanger.

Boisdelac

Boss GX100 is only compatible with MS Windows Version 10 and above

Boss GT1000 is compatible with Windows Version 7 and above.

Fremen

There is also a bug with IRs in the GX-1000 - like there was in the GT-1000 at launch, that was fixed later. Currently, if the same IR is launched in both machines, it sound way darker and muffled in the GX-100. Boss is aware of the issue, a representative contacted me about this, and it's going to be fixed.

I made a video about this. The settings are the same in both machines, including the global EQ, which is completely flat :

bxlgotham

Quote from: gumtown on March 05, 2022, 07:49:15 PMSY-1000 is 24 bit 48kHz and also with the GT-1000 amps.
No AIRD label on the SY, so the GX is going to be somewhere between an SY and GT.

SY-1000 does have AIRD: https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=196077

Magic Russ

Quote from: Magic Russ on March 15, 2022, 05:00:10 PMAlso surprisingly it looks like they dropped the 2x2 Chorus and Auto Wah.

One thing I noticed recently was that the non-prime chorus has a dual mode and within the dual mode, there are both high and low cutoffs for each chorus path.  If you were to set the high cut on the first and the low cut on the second to the same value, you would have something very similar to the 2x2 chorus on the GT units.  So going from GT to GX you lose a dedicated 2x2 chorus effect but you can still duplicate that functionality.

macman70

I would love to hear more from those of you that have tried both the GT1000 and GX100. I have the GT1000 and like it a lot, but I see a lot of guys saying that this GX100 sounds even more special. Any feedback would be great as I would love to build more GX100 presets for you all on here and the Boss Tone Exchange.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: gumtown on March 05, 2022, 07:49:15 PMSY-1000 is 24 bit 48kHz and also with the GT-1000 amps.

Gum the SY-1000 is 32 bit 48Khz.
So is the GT-1000. Makes a difference in overloading effects.
32 bit boxes like RV-500 reverb are great as its hard to distort them with the crazy gain staging we guitar players do.
The Pocket GT was 32 bit but the latest version is now 24 bit due to part shortage.

gumtown

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on February 18, 2023, 07:02:16 AMGum the SY-1000 is 32 bit 48Khz.
So is the GT-1000. Makes a difference in overloading effects.
32 bit boxes like RV-500 reverb are great as its hard to distort them with the crazy gain staging we guitar players do.
The Pocket GT was 32 bit but the latest version is now 24 bit due to part shortage.
Cool, thanks !!  :)

Boisdelac

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on February 18, 2023, 07:02:16 AM... the SY-1000 is 32 bit 48Khz. So is the GT-1000.

I thought the GT1000 is 32bit @ 96kHz.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Boisdelac on February 20, 2023, 04:44:39 AMI thought the GT1000 is 32bit @ 96kHz.

Ah you are right the GT-1000 is 32 bit @ 96Khz.
So is the RV-500 reverb.