Boss GX-100

Started by admin, February 27, 2022, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

GX-1000 is a skateboard brand too.

mantra

Hi
just watching several videos about it

for the price is really a great multi effects , i don't see limits like other brands

about the amp simulations are really the same of the gt-1000 , because i have never liked a lot gt10 ,gt-100 and gt-1000 pre amps simulations , about the gt-1000 are 3 or 4 amp simulations that are convinced for me

but always loved the effects of the boss multi effects

when i have seens it  the first time , I thought immiatly about the touch screen , do you think could be very fragile seen there is no protection ? and it's position
i guess i will enough a foot pression to break the touch screen
what do you think seeing it's a touch screen ?
some smartphones do soffer for a higher perssion of the hand and fingers
thanks

memorex

I love the sounds I've learned to coax out my GT-100. If they've corrected the things I hate most about GT-100, I'll buy it. What do I hate:

The clumsy foot switches. OK, they fixed that, it's a big + for me.

The pitch shifter. I use it to create polyphonic octave effects like 12-string Rick, and I have a pretty good patch actually, but on some chords, it sounds like ground dog meat. They have to improve the pitch shifter, or harmonic effect for me to buy this.

The Tone Studio software. It's a sluggish, bug-ridden piece of junk. It takes forever to save a patch, you can't compare (A/B) edits with the original stored patch, and I usually have to restart the Tone Studio once or twice when I'm editing because it freaks out and loses sync with the unit.

Another important issue for me is how easily I'll be able to recreate my GT-100 patches on GX-100, I'll wait and see what others say about that.

mantra

Quote from: memorex on March 08, 2022, 10:13:01 AM
I love the sounds I've learned to coax out my GT-100. If they've corrected the things I hate most about GT-100, I'll buy it. What do I hate:

The clumsy foot switches. OK, they fixed that, it's a big + for me.

The pitch shifter. I use it to create polyphonic octave effects like 12-string Rick, and I have a pretty good patch actually, but on some chords, it sounds like ground dog meat. They have to improve the pitch shifter, or harmonic effect for me to buy this.

The Tone Studio software. It's a sluggish, bug-ridden piece of junk. It takes forever to save a patch, you can't compare (A/B) edits with the original stored patch, and I usually have to restart the Tone Studio once or twice when I'm editing because it freaks out and loses sync with the unit.

Another important issue for me is how easily I'll be able to recreate my GT-100 patches on GX-100, I'll wait and see what others say about that.
hi memorex
that's funny how everyone has different felling with these units
for example I miss on the gt-1000 the gt-x or gt-100 foot switches , i like them bigger  more easy to push on live 
Have some issues with the footswitch on the gt-1000 , too sensible and small
about the effects , I guess they are all great , i mean i guess have the same quality , boss it's synonym of high quality effects
about the gt-1000 (for sure the gtx-100 seeing the share the same/almost tecnology  ) I like the bright transparent cryspy amp simulation , what i really don't like on the gt-100 too dull and dark for me , instead I don't use them , I like more the gt-10 preamp compared to the gt-100
what i miss is Fx Floorboard ,the gt-1000 could be edited with the smartphone or tablet wireless ,for the gtx-100 too if you buy the receiver ,but I agree with you  , i don't like boss tone studio at all

gumtown

My GX-100 searches still bring up a lot of 3HP Honda GX-100 motors.  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Magic Russ

The GX-100 has a new polyphonic octave effect.  I don't know how well it works, but it sounds like it might work.

It's not going to be apples to apples.  The manuals and parameter lists for the GX have been online so you can do a comparison and see for yourself what you can carry over from one box to the next.

ChrisX

This will be a great product for Boss, and finally gets away from the notion that you need to spend 1K+ for a "flagship" modeling device.

Decades of buying Boss "flagship" effect boards for $500.  When the Helix and LT appeared at 1600 and 1200 dollars, I thought they were absolutely crazy, and it seemed to be the direction the industry went for a product cycle.  The Helix team over at TGP claimed that the $500 price point was a thing of the past with increased manufacturing costs, etc.  They tacked tons of bells and whistles onto mediocre amp models and tripled the price no thanks.

Later they came out with the Pod Go, which while affordable, was very feature deprived.

Now we have the GX-100 which is roughly at the $500 price point, has similar feature set as the old flagship GT100, new touch interface, and has the AIRD amp models.  What's not to like?

Last year when I was in market to upgrade FX processors, I did a head to head between the GT1000 and Zoom G11.  I thought the Zoom wouldn't be able to hang sonically with the Boss, being only 24/44 and Boss being 32/96, but honestly that didn't make a difference.  I actually preferred the new Zoom amp models to the AIRD models (by a slight degree), and the interface was miles ahead, so I kept the G11.  The main problem with the GT1000 was that it essentially had the same UI as the old GT100, except at a higher DPI making it harder to read, so it was a step backwards from a usability standpoint.  Even if it was priced as low as the G11 at $600, I still would have gone with the Zoom.

Now the GX100 appears to fix the problems of the GT1000 interface, it retains all the "flagship" features (amp switching, MIDI IO, and long FX chains), and they cut the price in HALF!

Bravo.

admin

So far the deal breaker on GX-100 is its not USB Class Compliant - so zero integration as audio interface with an iPad

All the following can be connected via USB and record to iPad/iPhone /Android

Headrush

Helix

Ampero

Nux MG-30

Nux MG-300

NUX Amp Academy

Nux Mighty Air

Mooer GTRS

Mooer PRIME P1

Mustang GT/GTX

Boss IR-200 in "generic" mode

Boss RC-600 in "generic" mode

Boss could have accomplished USB Class Compliant "generic" mode on GX-100, but elected not to

Below is IR-200 USB Audio settings , "Generic" mode is USB Class Compliant mode -missing on GX-100

yotarzan

I agree, it's hard to believe that they ignored adding USB class compliance in 2022. Even more when they already had it done in other Boss units.

I was eagerly waiting for a new Boss modeler smaller than the GTK.  I have GT1 and GR55 and they are solid devices.
But for a bit more than the GX-100 I can buy a Mooer GE-300 with many more features and XLRs (come on Boss!!!)

I hope that Yoshi announces something interesting in a couple of weeks in the Boss talk stream.

Bear

Without buying anything, if you haven't already, try using the tone knob on your guitar, backing off the treble to try to leave the fundamental notes and minimize harmonics.  This can have a surprisingly big effect with faux 12 string settings, shimmer, octave fuzz, etc.  And if that isn't working, the cheap purchase is flat wound strings, which give less overtone hash.  When Joe Gore was running his Tonefiend blog he had a post on discovering that flats finally made the 12 string electric sound right because it gave space for the octave strings.

Okay, PSA done.  Don't let that stop you from buying something new, but that should improve results with most any device.

BROCKSTAR

Largol

I think I will stick to my GT-100 because of the sitar, because of the input jack, because of FxFloorboard (I hate windows on my personal computer only Linux).

At first sight the GX-100 was going to be a way to put cash on another multi-effect but the touchscreen looks like a very old Nokia thing :(

I'll wait for the complete list of effect of the GX-100 to do a real comparison with the GT-100 :)

Sure the feature of amp simulation is better on the GX-100 because of IRS and maybe extra parameters ?

After all I haven't made the whole tour of features of the GT-100 V2 :)

For the moment, it's a no go for me!

admin

QuoteI'll wait for the complete list of effect of the GX-100 to do a real comparison with the GT-100 :)

All are listed in GX-100 parameter guide
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34162.0

memorex

Another thing I've noticed. The GT-100 effect known as Guitar Sim, which lets you revoice S->H, S->Hollow, H->S, etc., seems to have gone away. I use this effect a lot. What is supposed to replace that?

admin

Quote from: memorex on March 21, 2022, 12:14:12 PM
Another thing I've noticed. The GT-100 effect known as Guitar Sim, which lets you revoice S->H, S->Hollow, H->S, etc., seems to have gone away. I use this effect a lot. What is supposed to replace that?

An EQ block

It's advisable to read the Parameter Guide for your future purchase, to review what's missing pre purchase

Likewise , GX-100 lacks the SITAR emulator  and mono GUITAR to MIDI on GT-100.

memorex

Quote from: admin on March 21, 2022, 12:15:14 PM
An EQ block

It's advisable to read the Parameter Guide for your future purchase, to review what's missing pre purchase

Likewise , GX-100 lacks the SITAR emulator  and mono GUITAR to MIDI on GT-100.

I never thought SITAR emulator sounded any good so no loss, I never used GUITAR to MIDI, so no loss. I didn't think Humanizer sounded any good, so no loss. But I use Guitar Sim on lot of patches, so I need someone at Boss to take the time to tell me how I simulate that on GX-100. Maybe I could sample it and create an IR, but I honestly don't know how to do that. And of course, there's still that PolyOctave. I haven't found a YouTube demo of it, and unless it sounds markedly better than the GT-100 Overtone, I see no reason to jump on this yet. I'm keeping my eye open.

Magic Russ

It is actually kind of confusing trying to sort out exactly which effects compare to which between the GT and GX units.

This is due to a difference in how the effects blocks are structured.  For example, with the GT units you have a Delay block containing all the delay modes available, as well as a few simplified Sub-Delay blocks.  With the GX you have Delay (comparable to Sub-Delay), Delay + (which contains about half of the modes in the GT-1000 delay), Analog, Space, Shimmer, Warp, Twist, and Tera Echo blocks.  The OD section is similarly restructured, with Boost, OD, Distortion, Metal, and Fuzz blocks, as well as bass versions of those blocks.

Also, the Table of Contents for the GX parameter guide could be laid out a little better.

When the GT-s came out, I liked the fact that you had a lot of modes and options for various effects.  It looks though like they are trying to move to the way Line 6 does things where you might have a model of a MXR chorus and a Boss Chorus and they are stored and programmed as two different effects and have controls resembling the original.  It's probably a lot easier for the engineers being able to add a new effect block than having to add a new mode to an existing block.

The manuals are out there though and they can answer your questions better than most of us here at the moment.

Magic Russ

Quote from: Magic Russ on March 11, 2022, 08:45:15 AM
The GX-100 has a new polyphonic octave effect.  I don't know how well it works, but it sounds like it might work.

Never mind, this is like the effect in the Katana.  It's a polyphonic octave down,  The nice thing about it is there is a range control which tells it which frequencies to create an octave for.  You might use this to have it play bass on your E and A strings and normal guitar sounds on the other strings.

BuleriaChk

I have a different use case than most users - I play an electro-acoustic Flamenco Guitar (Cordoba with the Fishman Aura pickup system), which is the best I have found to use with amps/effects.   My only change to all the presets in the beginning is to turn the bass down to zero, since the bass strings of the nylon string guitar have so much more energy than the trebles (which is why the (stock) Cordoba guitars with internal mics are less than satisfying - they are unusable for me.)

The feature I really miss is the ability so set each amp/effect as a "system" effect which retains its settings as one scrolls through the presets (both user and factory).
This (for me) gives a real basis for initial comparison, since (e.g.) all the presets can be set to use the same amp + settings as one auditions the presets.

Other than that, I am absolutely delighted with the GX-100 - while I highly respect Line 6's work in this area, for me, the Boss approach is preferable, since the amp/effects seem to be more articulate related to my techniques.  But I also (along with Line 6) am completely happy with my Positive Grid solutions as well....

Silly me..... :)

Smash

Is there any view in the HP under the bonnet yet I.e. at what point you run out of useful DSP?

gumtown

Quote from: Smash on March 29, 2022, 02:16:03 PM
Is there any view in the HP under the bonnet yet I.e. at what point you run out of useful DSP?
I believe it lets you use up to the full 15 blocks, and a limit of 6 of the same block, (with exceptions to the  2 x amp/cabs, 1 x S/R Loop, 1 x divider/mixer)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Magic Russ

The manuals do say that you can hit the DSP limits even if you aren't using all the available blocks.  They give specific  error messages for this as well as a grouping of effects by processing power.

I haven't heard anyone complaining about this, though.  Maybe this only happens if you are running 9 instances of Tera-Echo alongside your amps and a couple of reverbs.

mariosyjp

Hello guys, this is a very interesting discussion on a very cool product.

I think that it's been a very long time since I've seen such a good multi FX at a medium price point.

This looks like an exceptional amp modeller and FX machine, some recorded amp tones on youtube are indistinguishable from a real amp.

All the talk about what special features the competitors are offering and since when, to me is just gimmick hunting.
This thing probably offers the best tones for the money, and that's what multi FX units are all about.

jozart

Regarding connectivity with iPad (and Android), the new feature is the BT-DUAL add-on, which enables:

• Editing patches using BTS app for iOS and Android
  • Streaming audio FROM a mobile device to the GX-100

In addition, bidirectional BLE MIDI connection from/to mobiles is possible using BLE MIDI dongles such as CME WIDI.

jozart

Jack Gardiner demos a few (factory) presets that he programmed for the GX-100 and they sound pretty good:

14-1 Gravity Gains
14-4 SkyBlue Pink
16-4 Fusion Swells
17-1 Lo-Fi Clean
17-3 1993