External expression pedal response curve

Started by fuzzhead, February 03, 2022, 08:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzhead

Is there a way in the GT-1000 to define the taper / response curve behavior for external expression pedals. I have a MIDI Expression iO that allows you to configure this in software:

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I am currently using the MIDI Expression iO with the GT-1000 and it works great, but I would be able to free up one of its ports if I could adjust the curve for one of my external expression pedals directly in the GT-1000.

PAH

The foot volume effect block has linear and 3 other curves, but that is only for volume control.  There is no curve setting for expression pedals used for other purposes.

mooncaine

That's a great question. There must be a way, maybe more than one way, to do this with either another device, or an electronics mod, but it might not be an efficient or durable enough solution.

fuzzhead

Quote from: mooncaine on February 03, 2022, 11:18:08 PM
That's a great question. There must be a way, maybe more than one way, to do this with either another device, or an electronics mod, but it might not be an efficient or durable enough solution.

The MIDI Expression iO works really well for this. Once you configure the curve how you want it you can power it from a standard 9v power supply. It is really fantastic for this situation in particular. But...... that being said, it would be really nice to be able to set the curve on non-volume effects in the GT-1000 itself.

Boisdelac

That is a interresting question .... response curve????

I just developed a diy 6 button GT1k serial midi foot controller (bank up/down for U- and P-Banks, patch up/down for U- and P-patches, recall of the current patch with default patch settings, sending CC# 16,17,18,19 as momentary buttons and CC# 20 send from an external expression pedal, toggle between two adjacent patches). Patch- and bank-changes on the GT1k are synced back to the foot controller.

What kind of response curve should I implement to control the wahwah effect/volume effect from the remote control?

fuzzhead

Quote from: Boisdelac on February 04, 2022, 12:33:53 AMWhat kind of response curve should I implement to control the wahwah effect/volume effect from the remote control?

I think having at least 1, 2, and 4 from this graph would be useful. Also, a video (queued to the timestamp) that demonstrates how to adjust the response curve for the MIDIExpression iO:

Boisdelac

Thanks for the advice.

Linear is already implemented. I will try to implement the positive logarithmic curve as well. Video is not required as my pedal is only useful for GT1k as it is adapted to the 50 user and 50 pre-programmed banks and 5 patches per bank.

My goal was to have a true current patch recall button and have the ability to select all patches in memory mode to free up all the internal knobs to toggle functions and effects on and off. Which i already achieved.

In the future, however, my pedal could also be adapted to the number of only 128 patches specified by the MIDI standard. But I don't want that at the moment. The GT1k specific features are more important to me at the moment. Maybe a button for tapping the BPM or a possibility to select the MIDI-Channel and store it.