Gk and normal pickup cable in one

Started by Vabass, October 10, 2023, 01:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vabass

Hello ! This is my first post here and i hope it is in the right section . I just ordered my Gk5 and Gm 800 ( I used to play with gr 55 and gk3 ). The only thing that I dislike that I am lokking for a solution is that I dont want to use two cables ( one for gk 5 and one for normal pickups) for setup ( using a wirless isnt an option for me also since i find it to risky for professional use ) . So the question I have for you is this : Is there a way to create one cable with two ends in one corner ( a ts and trs for gk5 and normal pickups) and two ends in the othe corner one for gm 800 and the other for my helix ?

Thanks in advance

Brak(E)man

This is a lazy/poor mans solution.

Back in the late 80s I made a cable to my Casio MG-510.
Three cables in one. Normal guitar cable, MIDI cable and a power cable.
These were enclosed in a shrinking hose kind of enclosure and secured at the ends with zip ties and a small cable hook to attach it to the strap.
It works fine to this day.

Btw the problem having to use 2 cables from the guitar made me choose a GK3 instead of a GK5 when getting a guitar built recently. And I don't see myself using GK5 unless the GK3 disappears from the market,
or a GK5 with both normal output and GK switches is released.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

IMH1234

In practice this will need two separate cables as the digital signal ends to be shielded from the audio signal - am fairly sure that there is nothing commercially available that has both properly shielded and integrated in a single sleeve. The most practical custom solution would probably be to use two separate cables of the correct spec and use cable braid and/or heat shrink to keep them together as a single cable. Cable braid with heat strink at each end to hold it together would probably be the best compromise to give the convenience of a single cable whilst still being somewhat flexible.

https://www.designacable.com/techflex-gorilla-sleeve-nhn-heavy-duty-expandable-sleeving-black.html

Personally I don't find two separate cables much of an inconvenience (I have always used two cables, even with GK2, GK3 and 13 pin Piezo setups) but I do not move around much and am using this gear in the studio not live. Whenever I have tried to join the two cables the flexibility trade off is a greater inconvenience but YMMV - possibly a thin guitar cable like say George Ls in the sleeved setup described above would work OK?

gumtownadmin

There is a woven hose available that is used for cable looming in large electrical cabinets.
When the length is compressed inwards, the hose opens up to 5 x its size to slide in two cables (guitar and GK),
The length of hise is then stretched out, and it reduces diameter to snugly fit the cables within.
Cable tie the two ends with the required amount of cables poking out.
A nice tidy solution which looks like  a single cable.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 10, 2023, 02:31:04 AMThis is a lazy/poor mans solution.

Back in the late 80s I made a cable to my Casio MG-510.
Three cables in one. Normal guitar cable, MIDI cable and a power cable.
These were enclosed in a shrinking hose kind of enclosure and secured at the ends with zip ties and a small cable hook to attach it to the strap.
It works fine to this day.

Btw the problem having to use 2 cables from the guitar made me choose a GK3 instead of a GK5 when getting a guitar built recently. And I don't see myself using GK5 unless the GK3 disappears from the market,
or a GK5 with both normal output and GK switches is released.

I completely agree, I've used a dual cable from my guitar forever
Now that I use the Blu-Coe GK wireless. I am completely wireless, but usually on;y when I'm giggling

Vabass

Thank you all for the advice ! I'll probably try to combine together two cables with the woven hose thing and see how it goes

philjynx

There's also this type of Spiral Wrap many suppliers and comes in a few colours and sizes

Elantric

Be aware the reason Boss states use the official BOSS SERIAL GK TRS twisted pair double shielded cable between GK-5 and GM-800 is because its internal "SERIAL GK" digital signal is a potential noise source that easily invades high impedance non buffered unbalanced guitar signal path, results as high frequency Hiss and noise on amplifiers with standard  1/4" high impedance Guitar Inputs.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sca_esv=572350337&sxsrf=AM9HkKkkqyeQ4qc4l2C3e2ohLyzr-SOQ8w:1696975415687&q=emi+noise+induced+in+parallel+cables&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjHseCGvuyBAxVrLzQIHWyAEyIQ0pQJegQIERAB&biw=1128&bih=1982&dpr=2.63