Using my guitar and the VG-99 ~ No hex pickup

Started by Azi, October 21, 2021, 02:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azi

Hello VG-99 brethren!  I hope you are all safe and protected from COVID-19.   :)

Several years ago, my living situation required me to place my VG-99, GR-55, and GC-1 Roland Strat in storage.   ...but now I've moved and have my own music room!

In unpacking things, this subject came up:  is it possible to run a standard guitar into the VG-99 and use its effects like chorus, delay, etc.  I know that the VG-99 is in a class on its own, so why would anyone want to bypass so many of the cool things it can do, right?  ...and yet, I ask if it can be done.

Assuming that it isn't sacrilegious to ask for help for such a request, can someone provide a step by step instruction?  Thank you all in advance!   8)
Looking to take off my floaties and go into the deep end of the VG-99 pool!

Notice how some need inspiration for music while others need music for inspiration?

mooncaine

Yes, go right ahead.
Some effects won't work, and of course the COSM models won't be available. The Poly FX to the left of the FX section, on the front of the VG, are examples of things that won't work.
But it's fine to use with a poor ol' normal guitar. I have a few patches I use to check any guitar's sound, sometimes use em, but rarely, because I use alt tuning FX a lot.

Azi

Quote from: mooncaine on October 21, 2021, 02:45:39 PM
Yes, go right ahead.
Some effects won't work, and of course the COSM models won't be available. The Poly FX to the left of the FX section, on the front of the VG, are examples of things that won't work.
But it's fine to use with a poor ol' normal guitar. I have a few patches I use to check any guitar's sound, sometimes use em, but rarely, because I use alt tuning FX a lot.

Thanks for the encouragement!

...so I'm hoping for some step by step instructions from anyone.   :)
Looking to take off my floaties and go into the deep end of the VG-99 pool!

Notice how some need inspiration for music while others need music for inspiration?

pasha811

Welcome Back in VG99 Land

VG99 has a Guitar IN on the backside.
Use that as any other Multi-FX unit to input your guitar with a normal cable.
In the front Panel you have COSM GUITAR, PolyFX, FX, COSM AMP, MIXER
Simply select those AMP / FX Combination that you prefer and gets along with your guitar.
Sometimes some patches has NORMAL guitar out to zero and you won't hear nothing.
Enter COSM Guitar and scroll right until you reach Tab 7. You will find COSM GUITAR and NORMAL PU Volume.

I use VG99 a lot with normal guitar sound, GK enters only when I need special solos or paddish sounds and some Acoustic.
There's a lot you can do with VG99 with a normal guitar. Two channels, different AMPS, Delayed channels for dramatic chorus like effects..
But.. If you have a GK3 / GK2A around or if you can get one used in working condition (check all the mounting stuff) get one. You won't be disappointed to have a look at the HEXA Side. :-)

Enjoy
Pasha

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/