Recording of controllers

Started by RobB-fgn, May 10, 2013, 03:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobB-fgn

I've been recording FTP as a plug in in Studio One and the recorded clips have multiple lines through them which are controllers 29, 30, 31, 60.  Does anyone know what these do? 
I've removed them by selecting ''remove clip automation'' and it doesn't seem to make any difference. 
Am I going to break something?

Rob

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  RobB on May 10, 2013, 03:19:05 AM
I've been recording FTP as a plug in in Studio One and the recorded clips have multiple lines through them which are controllers 29, 30, 31, 60. 
Does anyone know what these do? 
Interesting ..... parameters or something maybe.
I'll record something in logic on the weekend (as I haven't yet) and see what happens in that, as I don't use the studio one.

Quote from:  RobB on May 10, 2013, 03:19:05 AM
Am I going to break something?
Well Ummmmm ..... Only if you put your fist thought the door or something crazy   ;D
In other words, NO it's only a recording, you won't be breaking anything.

What I always do with something new in my home studio set-up is, open a new project in logic, name it :ie  FTP Demo #1 etc
Keep it with all other Demo's that I've done.
Play around / record things / work things out etc in there.
It's so then I can make a template later when all is worked out with any new toy.
Plus saves me stuffing up any project that I'm working on, before knowing what it'll do.   ;)
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elantric-fgn

This list may be helpful

--
List of Standard MIDI Continuous Controllers (CC's)
Here is a list of the standard MIDI continuous controllers. Use these controllers to manipulate your MIDI data to make the music more expressive. You use these to add expressive devices like add vibrato, add abrupt or gradual volume changes, add and control the amount of reverb, tremolo, and/or chorus, and so on. The most commonly used CC's are in bold typeface

For most controllers marked (on/off) controllers, on=127 and off=0. For all others, the higher the value, the more intense the effect is.

Note: Not all synthesizers respond to all CC's. There should be a list in your synth manual. It's usually in the back and it is usually called the MIDI implementation chart. If you don't have the manual or can't google one, try a few to see if they work. If you find this page helpful, feel free to link to it.

CC number and Description

0 Bank Select (MSB)
(followed by cc32 & Program Change)
1 Modulation Wheel
2 Breath controller
4 Foot Pedal (MSB)
5 Portamento Time (MSB)
Only use this for portamento time use cc65 to turn on/off
6 Data Entry (MSB)
if you follow cc100=0 & cc101=0 this is pitch bend range
7 Volume (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc7 as you would the control on the amplifier - set it and leave it at the beginning of the MIDI track
8 Balance (MSB) Some synths use it
10 Pan position (MSB)
11 Expression (MSB)
Note: CC7 and 11 both adjust the volume. Use cc11 for volume changes during the track (crescendo, diminuendo, swells, etc.)
12 Effect Control 1 (MSB)
13 Effect Control 2 (MSB)
14 Undefined
15 Undefined
16 Ribbon Controller or General Purpose Slider 1
17 Knob 1 or General Purpose Slider 2
18 General Purpose Slider 3
19 Knob 2 General Purpose Slider 4
20 Knob 3 or Undefined
21 Knob 4 or Undefined

22-31 are undefined, available for use by synths that let you assign controllers.

32 Bank Select (LSB) (see cc0)
33 Modulation Wheel (LSB)
34 Breath controller (LSB)
36 Foot Pedal (LSB)
37 Portamento Time (LSB)
38 Data Entry (LSB)
39 Volume (LSB)
40 Balance (LSB)
42 Pan position (LSB)
43 Expression (LSB)
44 Effect Control 1 (LSB) Roland Portamento on and rate
45 Effect Control 2 (LSB)
46-63 may be in use as the LSB for controllers 14-31 in some devices, but I have not seen one yet.
64 Hold Pedal (on/off)
Nearly every synth will react to 64 (sustain pedal)
65 Portamento (on/off)
66 Sustenuto Pedal (on/off)
67 Soft Pedal (on/off)
68 Legato Pedal (on/off)
69 Hold 2 Pedal (on/off)
70 Sound Variation
71 Resonance (aka Timbre)
72 Sound Release Time
73 Sound Attack Time
74 Frequency Cutoff (aka Brightness )
75 Sound Control 6
76 Sound Control 7
77 Sound Control 8
78 Sound Control 9
79 Sound Control 10
80 Decay or General Purpose Button 1 (on/off) Roland Tone level 1
81 Hi Pass Filter Frequency or General Purpose Button 2 (on/off) Roland Tone level 2
82 General Purpose Button 3 (on/off) Roland Tone level 3
83 General Purpose Button 4 (on/off) Roland Tone level 4
91 Reverb Level
92 Tremolo Level
93 Chorus Level
94 Celeste Level or Detune
95 Phaser Level

It's probably best not to use the group below for assigning controllers.?
96 Data Button increment
97 Data Button decrement
98 Non-registered Parameter (LSB)
99 Non-registered Parameter (MSB)
100 Registered Parameter (LSB)
101 Registered Parameter (MSB)

It's very important that you do not use these no matter what unless you want to invoke these functions
120 All Sound Off
121 All Controllers Off
122 Local Keyboard (on/off)
You might actually crash your keyboard if you use this one.
123 All Notes Off

You typically don't want your synths to change modes on you in the middle of making a song, so don't use these.
124 Omni Mode Off
125 Omni Mode On
126 Mono Operation
127 Poly Operation

--

Also remember if during R&D debug sessions your FTP starts behaving bad, here is how to reset the FTP to factory settings.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33221.msg246138#msg246138
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

RobB-fgn

Thanks for info,

Won't be putting fist through door,  ;D experience has  been great so far, except if I forget and try and load a Sampletank patch and crash SO.

So from the list I can see that the recorded controllers are all undefined, so probably some FTP internal stuff which is great I can delete them without a worry.  I'ts just that the clips look messy with all the lines running through them so I wanted to delete them. 

Thanks again,
Rob