FTP Mac install issue

Started by drbill-fgn, April 16, 2013, 01:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbill-fgn

After installing everything, the FTP software couldn't find Kontakt. Service Center also did not see anything that needed updating (I already had an up to date Komplete 8 install). I install the samples & loops under /Users/Shared and the NI programs have no problem with that, but Fishman support thinks that's the issue.

If someone could post where the stuff normally would get installed, I could make some links and everything should work.

thanks

drbill-fgn

Problem solved. I made soft links from my install location to the Application Support/Native Instruments for Kontakt Factory Library and Kontakt Elements Selection R2 Library folders, reinstalled the FTP software and all is good.

Elantric-fgn

QuoteProblem solved. I made soft links from my install location to the Application Support/Native Instruments for Kontakt Factory Library and Kontakt Elements Selection R2 Library folders, reinstalled the FTP software and all is good.

Glad you figured this out. I searched the NI customer service knowledge base for days, then called NI customer service in LA (was on hold for 33 minutes), and nobody could supply an answer to What is the preferred location /directory / folder to place the NI Sound libraries for Reaktor, Kontact, Battery, etc.

All I kept hearing was "The N.I. Service Center App does all that for you!" - NOT!

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

dicb1

Quote"nobody could supply an answer to What is the preferred location /directory / folder to place the NI Sound libraries for Reaktor, Kontact, Battery, etc."

On the Mac they're in Users/Shared.

-- Dick
Many friends were there.
Dusk preceded piano.
Voice lifted in song.

Elantric-fgn

Problem is on my Mac with OSX 10.7.5 the NI Service Center with my FTP Beta placed NI Sounds like this:

Some in:   >Users>Shared

Some in:  >Library> Application Support>Native Instruments (Note the OSX "Library" Folder is hidden on OSX10.7 Lion)

Some in: >Library > Audio > Plug-ins > Components >

Some in: >Documents>Native Instruments>

Some in:  >Applications>Native Instruments>

This is on a 2011 iMac machine that NEVER had ANY prior N.I products installed  - and nobody at N.I. Customer support ( nor Fishman) could tell me how to "fix" this situation so my NI products can locate their sounds.

Its extremely confusing, and remains a problem for me today.

So much for the concept of "Macintosh's dont need a user manual" - this is definitely NOT my experience, (25 + years with Windows machines, only 5 years of occasional Mac use here.)  yet when I make basic inquiries with Mac Folks- Bulk have zero answers on how to solve problems.

I can not believe that in the ENTIRE N.I Knowledge Base, I see Plenty of tips for Windows folks, but Zero help for Macs and OSX - 

Native Instruments NEVER mentions what is the default or preferred directory to install the N.I Sound Libraries for OSX.
And the N.I. Service Center only prompts for a download folder name for ALL product downloads.

If I had more time - i might get this working once day. until I find a solution its trial and LOTS of ERROR.

http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/categories/Installation+&+Configuration/
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/1355/Where+can+I+download+my+Native+Instruments+software%3F

Best I can see is this document

http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/456/How+to+Uninstall+Native+Instruments+Software+and+Drivers+from+a+Mac+OS+X+Computer

How to Uninstall Native Instruments Software and Drivers from a Mac OS X Computer

Sometimes it is necessary to uninstall and reinstall your Native Instruments software as a solution for technical issues.

You can use the Mac OS X Uninstaller Utility to automatically uninstall an NI application from your computer. It can be downloaded in the Utilities area on the NI Drivers & Other Files website. Check the What's this? section next to the download link to make sure the utility works with your NI application.

In order to uninstall your NI application manually, you need to remove the following files and folders:

Macintosh HD > Applications > Native Instruments > *Product Name* (folder)

Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences > com.native-instruments.*Product Name*.plist

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > Components > *Product Name*.component

Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plug-ins > VST > *Product Name*.vst

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Plug-ins > *Product Name*.dpm

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Native Instruments > *Product Name* (folder)

Macintosh HD > Users > *Your User Name* > Library > Preferences > com.native-instruments.*Product Name*.plist

Note: On newer Mac OS computers where 10.7 (Lion) or a later version is installed, the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on the task bar entry Go and press down the Alt key. The Library entry will become visible in the drop-down menu and can now be selected.

If you are uninstalling one of Native Instruments' sample-based programs, i.e. KONTAKT, BATTERY, AKOUSTIK PIANO or ELEKTRIK PIANO, there is also a sample library that can be deleted. It is located in the directory you chose during installation. Please note that it is NOT necessary to uninstall the library in most cases to fix common issues with the software, you can safely leave this alone in most cases unless the problem you are having is related to the library content itself.

By contrast my IK MultiMedia apps are a breeze and work , and I get excellent Customer Support from IK Multimedia.

Elantric-fgn

I will try the tips in this link
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/551/Can+I+move+my+Native+Instruments+software+or+Libraries+to+another+location+on+my+computer%3F

At the heart of my issue is on OSX, the only prompt supplied by the N.I. Service Center Installer is "What is your preferred DOWNLOAD Folder for ALL FILES?

I never saw any mention or prompt for a choice on "Where do you want your Sound Libraries?" - and as a result, by default, they are scattered to several different folders all over my Hard dive  and 80% non functional / non-accessible when I launch any N.I. App.

shawnb-fgn

Very sorry...   
I'm sure participation in the beta opened you up to some rough edges, here...   
Thanks for that, btw...
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Elantric-fgn

QuoteI'm sure participation in the beta opened you up to some rough edges, here...   

The hardest part of being both a Forum site administrator AND a FTP beta tester was adhering to the Non Disclosure gag order, and seeing several FTP posts back in March 2013 which I legally was not allowed to answer. ;)

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on April 17, 2013, 12:57:23 PM
Problem is on my Mac with OSX 10.7.5 the NI Service Center with my FTP Beta placed NI Sounds like this:

Some in:  >Library> Application Support>Native Instruments (Note the OSX "Library" Folder is hidden on OSX10.7 Lion)

Yep thats where all my NI stuff has ended up for years and I'm on 2007 imac intel-core 2 duo, 4GB, 10.6.8.
It's like ..... lets just toss it anywhere for them.  ::)

Anything thats ended up in there, I have ended up moving. (with no drama)

That's where all different type of crap goes, that relates to all NI products.
(I wouldn't move anything around there)

Yep, normal place for those.

They are for storing / saving your own settings / adjustments etc etc made on any NI product.

Your lucky now that it just one folder there.
Use to be all individual folders for all products in the apps section.

You left out one  ;D  ... User > Lib > App Sup > NI >
Just more crap.

Other than that ... I have,
All my NI Libraries are on a separate HD .... runs much better that way for me.
That includes any extra bought product packs for Kontakt etc, like Evolve Mutations 1 & 2 etc.

If your having trouble locating sounds, might need to re-scan / locate them / point it to, where they are in each NI unit.
Inside the preference window of each unit.

Some times there is an option when installing, to send the Libraries to where you want them.

BTW .... whenever an up-date has been done on ANY NI unit, it must be run 1st in stand-alone mode.
If you have Kore Player or Kore 2 (old units now) or Maschine, best to do those last.
As they hold lots of the other products in them.

Then when you next open up your DAW (for me thats Logic) it will scan those new up-dated products.

Quote from:  Elantric on April 16, 2013, 01:32:50 PM
nobody could supply an answer to What is the preferred location /directory / folder to place the NI Sound libraries for Reaktor, Kontact, Battery, etc.

A separate HD is best.
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elantric-fgn

Thanks Zummooz!

Well - the latest Tripleplay update (which I was delayed in installing) solved my NI Komplete Library issue.

No other changes, nothing moved - Yet.

When things break - they break large , lets hope this was just a  last legacy of the FTP Beta Test code that finally is purged out of my machine with the latest FTP update.

TriplePlay GUI reports:

Software Version: 1.0.2402
Receiver Version: 1.72
Controller Version: 1.90

Daggilarr

I have noticed some ? about 64bit plug ins. Is this an issue with MAC AU plug ins ? all my stuff is 64bit now

shawnb-fgn

Quote from:  Daggilarr on April 19, 2013, 08:00:43 AM
I have noticed some ? about 64bit plug ins. Is this an issue with MAC AU plug ins ? all my stuff is 64bit now

The FTP app does not directly support 64-bit plugins.  There are a couple of ways around this, covered in this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33210.msg246073#msg246073

A 64-bit plugin can be fed FTP Midi data by simply plugging in the FTP receiver and using its MIDI port. 

OR, you can use a "two-track" method in your DAW.  Create two tracks in your DAW, one with the FTP VST configured to drive a hardware device (so it simply outputs MIDI), and the second track with your 64-bit plugin, using the first as its MIDI source.  This method provides access to the FTP app's enhancements, which include better control of dynamics. 

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Elantric-fgn

QuoteI have noticed some ? about 64bit plug ins. Is this an issue with MAC AU plug ins ? all my stuff is 64bit now

Orren Merton wrote>
Hi all,

Okay, I found the solution. The issue is that {Apple} Logic Pro will not validate the 32-bit TriplePlay AU plug-ins in 64-bit mode _AND_ once you have opened Logic Pro in 64-bit mode, it marks the TriplePlay plug-ins as "not validated" and even when you open Logic Pro in 32-bit mode, it will not see the TriplePlay plug-ins, you have no choice but to manually scan them.

So here are the steps that worked for me:

1) Select Get Info on Logic Pro in the Finder and check "Open in 32-bit mode."
2) Launch Logic Pro
3) Open the AU Manager
4) Select TriplePlay and TriplePlay FX and select "Reset & Rescan Selected" <— they will pass AU Validation and be available.
5) Quit Logic Pro
6) Select Get Info on Logic Pro in the Finder and uncheck "Open in 32-bit mode." Now it will be available using the 32-bit bridge in Logic Pro 64-bit.

This information is not obvious AND MUST BE IN THE FINAL USER MANUAL. Many users use Logic Pro in 64-bit mode, and this will bite them. The manual instructions need to include the information that "Before running Logic Pro, make sure you are in 32-bit mode in order for the plug-ins to be scanned" and then the additional information that "if you have already opened Logic in 64-bit mode and the TriplePlay plug-ins are not available, follow these six steps" and include the steps that I give above. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of Logic Pro users who try to run the software in Logic Pro, but don't see them even with the 32-bit bridge.

Orren

Quote from:  Elantric on April 19, 2013, 04:56:30 PM
QuoteI have noticed some ? about 64bit plug ins. Is this an issue with MAC AU plug ins ? all my stuff is 64bit now
Orren Merton wrote>
Hi all,

I would just add that IMO the lack of a 64-bit AU is the single biggest show stopper on the Mac OS X side of things.

Orren

Elantric-fgn

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/message/35307

mnfraga wrote>
ST and all,

> -tried using it with Logic Pro, got notes hanging everywhere and faders were
jumping up and down;

This is not a TriplePlay issue, but a Logic well known and documented bug. It
was the subject of long conversations I had with Fishman people prior to NAMM
2012 and after. The reason for those glitches is Logic's poor midi
implementation -- a post Apple and post version 8 issue, since version 3 had it
all there working fine. Initially, Andras Szalay had implemented CC message #123
to make all notes stop playing. Logic simply ignores CCs 120 to 127. I then
built a workaround for them, so that their first public display of FTP wouldn't
be a disaster due to Logic's bugginess.

Right after NAMM, my own opinion was that FTP should NOT be released until a
steady package of softsynths and a midi-compliant DAW was found. I believe this
is one of the reasons for long wait, other than FCC compliance requirements.
Fishman chose Kontakt, Sample Tank and Studio One for this exact reason. I did
some testing on my own (not requested by Fishman) and reported results back to
them. They picked the ones that worked well and belonged to companies that could
provide satisfactory support. I suggested one other option for DAW, but the
company is too small and perhaps would not support it the way they wanted.
Likewise, their initial choice of instrument -- a very nice, flexible and fully
compliant synth -- belonged to a company that is almost inactive.

(DISCLAIMER: I've assisted Fishman and Andras Szalay in a voluntary basis and am
not affiliated with that company.)

> -with Gtak--an app with ZERO support--and Kontakt 5 I had problems
everywhere... (using Kontakt without Gtak and creating 6 instruments for each
patch I had no issues);

Did you try contacting their support directly? I see their forum is not very
active, but Costas was always good getting back to me. Also, if you have Gtak4
and Kontakt5, there are special procedures to make them work tegether. Check
their website.

> -with Omnisphere and Trillian, you have to do a LOT of work for things to work
well--specially concerning pitchbend messages screwing with other channels;

Same as Logic, although not so bad.

Marcelo

Elantric-fgn

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/message/35309
mnfraga wrote>
ST and all,

> Well, I guess we're tied to whatever software they give us use
> then...

No, you're not. You can use it with any DAW and synth you'd like. It just takes some work and you'll have dig information about their limitations and, most importantly, their midi implementation. Which, in most cases, is faulty. Then you also need to understand midi in more depth. No need to become an expert, but you'll need to understand the messages and how they work.

What Fishman did for all users was to spend a lot of time testing software and negotiating with vendors to supply a stable, reliable group of instruments and sequencing software. But you're not "tied" to them, you can expand your instrument landscape at the cost of flexing your midi-knowledge muscle.

I mentioned Logic Pro because I used it extensively until a few months ago. It took me one week to set up my guitar and the Axon, then it took me 6 months to get it to work properly with Logic. Up until the 90s, there were several modules, samplers, and even music software that were fully compliant with the midi standard. Nowadays, most DAWs have some part of the standard omitted for some reason. Logic's case is maddening, because part of the overall midi functionality was stripped off of it after version 8. For instance, Program Change messages on channel 1 are completely ignored. When you load a plugin with 16 channels and toggle a program change in your controller, all patches change except for channel 1. That's because Apple has created what they call "channel strip settings" -- presets that you can load and save containing all the filters, EQs, effects you want for a certain strip -- and they respond to PC messages on channel 1. Therefore, they subtracted PC on channel 1 from their software. So, back in January of 2012, I built a channel "shifter" inside of Logic for Fishman so they could demo TP. Burr Johnson was also getting those evil hanging notes all over the place, and I sent him something that would send a bang and silence all 128 notes in all 16 channels. That was a pretty cumbersome button that would generate 2048 note off messages!!

And none of this was TriplePlay's fault. :|

Bear in mind that these software limitations apply to all guitar to midi converters, so if you were using a Shadow, MidiAxe, GR55 or an Axon, you'd run into the same problems.

Marcelo

Spider-fgn

1. Should FTP factory patches works with Komplete 8/9? or I should install Elements which I have too (part of Kompete Audio 6).
2. May someone could share preset with Logic's "channel shifter" or preset for MidiPipe? I is only free idea. When I will have FTP I probably prepare some settings for MidiPipe.

Zummooz-fgn

Hi Spider   ;D

Quote from:  Spider on May 06, 2013, 03:40:03 AM
1. Should FTP factory patches works with Komplete 8/9? or I should install Elements which I have too (part of Kompete Audio 6).
Don't believe so.
OK some FTP patches use both IK and NI for there patch sound.

Elements you already have in Komplete 8 / 9 ...... I wouldn't bother downloading the NI stuff at all. (unless you want the FTP NI patches)
I have Komplete 6 and other crap ... so I didn't bother with NI or anything else,
Only downloaded the IK stuff.
That was enough to give me an idea of what it does.
I just use all my already got NI stuff and other synths etc.

BTW .... will find a complete list of FTP patch names in (on an imac)
HD > Library > App Support > TriplePlayFactory > Patch Names

Again I wouldn't bother with the NI stuff if you already have that much in Komplete 8 / 9   ;)

Full List of FTP patches

IK
Violin
Flute
70'z Lead
Double Bass
Cello
Acoustic Piano + Strings
Blowing Cold
Planet TP
Desolate Plain
Phasey EP
Stage EP
Overdrive EP
Jazz Organ
Backup Acoustic
Old Twangy
6 String
Rock Kit
Alto Sax
Alto Flute
Horn + Wind Ensemble
French Horns
Brass Section
Trombone Staccato
Viola
Dramatic Strings
Staccato Strings
Pizzicato Strings
Legendary String Pad
Sitar
Bamboo Flute
Harmonica
Accordion
Acoustic Piano + Bass
Choir + Strings
Hanging Around
Tenderizer Bass
Morphing Lead
Mellow Pad
Minotaur Lead
Sand Castle Pad
Dance Pad
Brass Pad
Feels Electric
Trancelvania
Polyrific
Ghost House
Entering Phase X
Modulo Lead
Crunch Time

IK Plus NI
Acoustic Piano
Mark I Electric Piano
Organ + Bass
Guitar Rig + Bass
Acoustic Piano + Brass
Electric Piano + Choir
Electric Piano + Strings
Brass + Strings
Brass + Choir
Juicer Bass
Electro Bass + Trancelvania
Electro Bass + Planet TP
Electro Bass + Minotaur Lead

NI
Blues Organ
Brass Ensemble
Electro Bass
Zawinello
Nylon Guitar
Micro Lead
Harpsichord
String Ensemble
Rolling Deep Kit
Tiny Fuzz
Kora
Splendish
Deeper Blue Organ
Echo Flute
Sprite Pad
Big 5th Pad
Piano + Pad
Orchestral Pluck
Blue Organ
Toy Piano
Vital Organ
Fusionello
Cadaver Bass
Step Brother
Digital Piano
Electric Grand Rotator
Electric Bass
Groove Kit
Precious Kit
Electric Piano + Bass
Electric Piano + Chorus Guitar
Electric Piano + Rotatin' Guitar
Acoustic Piano + Rotatin' Guitar
Acoustic Piano + Delay Guitar
Acoustic Piano + Chorus Guitar
Synth + Organ
Filter Pad
Orchestral Pad
Rave Shave
Synthpop Lead
Deeper Blue Organ 2
Deeper Blue Organ 3
Organello
Fusionello 2
Vital Organ 2
Flux
Flux 4
Flux 4b
Brassy Bass
Ogre Bass
Stadium Lead
Prodigy
Purple Organ
Brash
Epic Lead
Epic Lead 2
Epic Lead 3
Morning Duet
Flute + Pad
Pull Some Strings
Astral Chimes
Lonely People
Step Mother
Step Brother 2
Splendish 2
Splendish 3
Brite Lites
Brite Lites 2
Bending Steel
Dirty Flirt
Electro Bass + Cat Filter
Church of Funk
Mystic Shore
Level Up
Synthony Orchestra
Bad Judgement Day Lead
Synth Guitar Lead

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Spider-fgn

Generally I have Sample Tank 2.5 too but I would like to check factory patches.

Zummooz-fgn

I've been in your boots, having all the other stuff in NI etc

So ....
Personally I would (when you get it) ... Just download the IK apps and the FTP app. As that part won't take long to download.
Setup you gear, play around in stand alone mode 1st for a feel.

Try / play around with those 40+ IK patches 1st in the FTP. (that will give you an idea of what goes on) ...... It's very simple really !!

I bet my bottom $$$$ that you will then decide NOT to even bother with the other NI stuff that come with FTP. (you have it all anyway)

By then you will be using all the NI stuff and whatever else you have anyway.
Absynth > FM8 > Massive etc etc etc etc  ... the list is endless.   ;D

Elantric-fgn

Quote1. Should FTP factory patches works with Komplete 8/9? or I should install Elements which I have too (part of Komplete Audio 6).

Factory FTP Patches that employ resources / softynths from Native Instruments MUST use the version of N.I. Komplete Elements provided by Fishman.

It may be possible to query the FTP "Patch" and re-write it to support your other version N.I Komplete  - but out of the box, the FTP does not support using any other version of N.I. Komplete.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/message/34583

mnfraga wrote>

Joe and all,

>> For instance, could one send a CC to the Triple-play to say, mute a string?

Even though There's no feature like this at the moment you can still do that either before data gets to TP's application (using something like MidiPipe for Mac) or inside the DAW, depending on which one you're using. There is the 3rd option of using another application like Max or Plogue Bidule to create whatever midi routings you need and create switches for muting strings, pitch shifting, loop triggering, etc etc etc. Max is pricey ($600) but very solid and flexible, Bidule's early bird license is currently $95 and I think it's an awesome piece of hardware.

Marcelo

My recent conversation with Marcelo is worth sharing below
--
Dear Steve,

Thank you for your kind message. Sorry for my late response. I used to know you as "sustainiac" over at Yahoo Midiguitar Group, didn't know you are the Elantric from Future Guitar Now. I've been a member there for about a month now, very pleased with that forum and the higher overall level of the discussion. :)

To answer your questions:

> I assume today instead of Apple Logic you are using Presonus Studio one now ?

No. I do not have a TriplePlay, actually. The reason why I'm not using Logic has to do with my health and being (hopefully) temporarily unable to play. All the work I did back then was using the Axon. In some respects it did not behave exactly as TP did, so I had them record midi files for me so I could test those workarounds in my computer. But that too had its issues, as they were not sending me the raw output of TP but a DAW filtered midi file. Burr Johnson too was requesting my collaboration before and after NAMM, but without a real TP -- even though I had several beta versions of their software -- it became too damn complicated to create the controllers he was asking me. I also had to drop out of that collaboration because of the above.

I received a message from Larry Fishman last Friday, and now my TP is finally coming my way. He didn't know I still hadn't received it, which is something he kindly offered to me after NAMM '12.

>I am contacting you directly because the Yahoo MIDI guitar group owner
>moderates and deletes my posts regarding Tripleplay

Did not know that. Shame on them. In any event, I'm just about ready to drop that group myself, due in part to the above.

> Also - I have taken liberty to re-post your info you posted at Yahoo MIDI Guitar Group
> at my site Futureguitarnow here
> https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33209.msg246218#msg246218

Feel free to repost anything you want, anywhere. I'm not a VGuitarForum
member because I thought it was dedicated to that specific hardware.
Which, by the way, I consider an excellent machine.

>We all love the Tripleplay, and many are selling their 13 pin gear,
>while others are working on a DIY method to use both
>https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8481.0

If one takes into account the midi side of things, I'd fully support that decision. However, if I owned a V system I wouldn't drop it, for a number of reasons. First, triggering midi synths with a guitar is very nice, but even with all of Andras's accomplishments, there's the limitation of the midi protocol itself. I think Roland's bet on modelling was wise in many aspects, specially in translating the overall playability of the guitar into a synth voicing. Midi guitar is very, very limited in that respect. In some ways, playing midi guitar affects/re-shapes your playing entirely, and I find myself sounding like a dry keyboard when midi stuff is not plugged in. I like and use midi a lot, specially when I do controller stuff in the guitar -- keyswitching, moving filters around, program changing, sending CCs that toggle and control effetcs, controlling parameters with velocity, and even PitchBend messages that make sliders go up and down. But with all the
refinements I have done on my own, still I can't make my midi guitar sound like a real, organic synth. The closest I have seen to that recently is KMI's StringPort, which among midi conversion and many other things has a synth engine that acts just like a GR300 or a synclavier. Not midi, though. Also, I have used a ton of guitar modelling software -- Amplitube, Guitar Rig, and even the much acclaimed Overloud, which is the best in my opinion -- but I still consider Roland's models to be quite nice sounding and better than every software I've ever used. And if you think that everything is contained in one box, I still consider VG/GR systems very good.

Also concerning midi guitar, up until the 90s you had a plethora of synths and samplers what worked flawlessly with the guitar to midi converters. I owned an Axon NGC77 with the internal soundcard (Yamaha DB-50XG)

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/Yamaha_DB50XG/

and did almost anything I needed with it. Plugging that to a Roland module was easy. Even scoring movies was easy with PC software like Cakewalk (version 2!!). I also owned a Proteus 2000 and an Akai Z4 (the best hardware sampler ever made, IMHO), and using them was a breeze. But when Terratec re-launched the Axon, and now when Andras first contacted me regarding the issues he was having with TP (then called WGS6000), it became clear that midi guitar and current DAW and softsynths are a high risk marriage with no prenup! This is one of the reasons Terratec dropped the Axon (very poor sales overall and no market for their OEM kit, then called "Diguit" and used 5-pin midi and firewire ports, very nice!). This is the reason why Costas wrote Gtak to begin with. If
you consider that I spend 150+ hours just to find ways to have Logic behave properly when controlled by Triple Play, you get a measure of the problems. Ableton Live is not easy, though much more manageable than Logic. Cubase is better but far from perfect. Digital Performer is hopeless. So, when I visited Fishman's HQ in Andover last year, I engaged in the job of telling them not to release TP unless it could perform decently out of the box, or they'd screw it completely. And a lot of TP's shipping delay has to do with it, although not all -- but I can't disclose those details here, sorry.

Finally, there's the issue of playing live with a laptop/desktop computer. We see artists doing that all the time, but they play on big stages, with security nearby, far from beer spills. I had to first invest in a hard case for the laptop and a rack for the other equipment, then in locks for the laptop security hole and to tie the case itself to the amp handle, on top of a stand and a fan I had to use. When I almost got nuked by someone jumping on stage and nearly dumping all her beer into my laptop, I decided to get a bigger rack and house a mini desktop there instead, controlled by a 1 rack unit KVM keyboard and screen, which added another 35 pounds to my already heavy rig. So, being a midi guitar player with a laptop is not that easy or romantic. Mark Schonbrun himself -- playing in fancy East Coast jazz clubs -- said in his website that had to tie his laptop to avoid losing it.

So, I'd caution V guitar users to hold back on that and only switch completely when they reach a point where they can accomplish everything they want with a midi system alone. Also, if the guitar is piezo equipped, adding a TP won't cause the issues ShawnB has dealt with.

Sorry for my lengthy 2 cents. :)

Please let me know.

All the best,

Marcelo

Spider-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on May 06, 2013, 09:40:20 AM
Quote1. Should FTP factory patches works with Komplete 8/9? or I should install Elements which I have too (part of Komplete Audio 6).

Factory FTP Patches that employ resources / softynths from Native Instruments MUST use the version of N.I. Komplete Elements provided by Fishman.

It may be possible to query the FTP "Patch" and re-write it to support your other version N.I Komplete  - but out of the box, the FTP does not support using any other version of N.I. Komplete.

FYI:
Costas (creator of software for FTP) wrote me: "if you have Komplete 8 you do not need to install elements, the factory patches will use the full version. You need to install Sampletank."

Correction from Costas:
We must  run the Elements installer, it will not install the elements versions of kontakt, reaktor and guitar rig, but it will install the library which you do need.