GR-30 - *Very* simple mod to get Linear Velocity & Maximal Dynamics

Started by Guitarpolson-fgn, March 13, 2013, 03:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarpolson-fgn

Allthough the GR30 overall is a nice machine, a few quirky design features spoil the meal, but since it is half analog, many of it failures can be remedied.
I allready discussed the "stuck note bug" and its fix, the GR30 Pacemaker.
The second most obvious GR30 feature is the non-linear velocity, internally the velocity signal is compressed(!), probably to get a longer sustain with higher values for the aftertouch...
Now, the aftertouch (CC18) is mostly useless anyway, and dynamics are better left to the internal GR30 patch setting "playfeel".
I've noticed that, especially on stage, the dynamics of the gr30 were too low: when you play softly, the synth is dominating too much over the guitartone. I've ended up adjusting the volume of the GR30 for every dynamic setting..

But:...here's the fix!

Simply remove resistor R42 from the mainboard to get a linear response. It will be more sensitive ofcourse, but NOT in the lower velocity region.So you can play with openstrings that wont dominate and you can play the leading voice really louder in a polyphonic peace.
Beware that you'll have to adapt to the new dynamics, but in a few hours you'll see the light..

0) remove power from unit ( unit should be completely sedated while surgery takes place :)
1) remove the bottomplate.
2) remove the flexible shield
3) look at the picture below: find R42, and remove it.
4) check that there is no rest solder on the board.
5) mount flexible shield and bottomplate back.
6) power it up, adjust overall sensitivity, and then experiment with "playfeel" per patch

greetings,
Guitarpolson

PS 1: I havent mentioned softsynths here: now they really do shine with better dynamics!

PS 2: here you can hear the dynamic synchronicity between Kontakt 5 Steinway and my direkt guitar. It is not perfect, but allready a tremendous lot better as it was before.. The buffersize was accidentally on 512 while recording this, so actually the sound is a bit snappier than this, make a better movei when I've got the time..

PS 3: My GR-55 wont let me do this kind of clean midi, but I've used the GR55 as audiointerface here and the normal guitarsound on the recording is a cosm strat with just some chorus from the GR55.. so that is a nice pair, the gr55 and gr30 together.

http://youtu.be/3YTHFLfs9s40%

Guitarpolson-fgn

member Gaustu found a value of 500ohms for the resistor more suitable for his playing, so he actually increased his compression, that shows what you can do with this little resistor. thanks for the info Gaustu!
I'm sorry that I lost that his original message regarding this got lost as I removed this topic from the vguitarforumboard.

gumbo-fgn

Quote from:  Guitarpolson on March 13, 2013, 10:04:48 AM
member Gaustu found a value of 500ohms for the resistor more suitable for his playing, so he actually increased his compression, that shows what you can do with this little resistor. thanks for the info Gaustu!
I'm sorry that I lost that his original message regarding this got lost as I removed this topic from the vguitarforumboard.

...I don't DARE suggest that we should link this spot on the PCB to a remote pot in order to adjust the effect at will......    :o

Guitarpolson-fgn

Quote from:  gumbo on March 14, 2013, 04:12:55 AM
Quote from:  Guitarpolson on March 13, 2013, 10:04:48 AM

...I don't DARE suggest that we should link this spot on the PCB to a remote pot in order to adjust the effect at will......    :o
That is a nice idea, me and Gaustu allready mentioned that too, it is perfectly doable, but keep the wires short and tidy, because the wire will carry a multiplexed signal with rather sharp edges.
Gain for the compressor can be R39. So then you'll have 2 potis to adjust dynamics on the fly. "Gain" and "compression"
R39 needs a minimum of 10k for unity gain. To much gain will make the sound, but there's a fair deal of boosting you can do there.