Am I cursed?

Started by Welshman-fgn, January 08, 2011, 01:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welshman-fgn

First of all I ordered the DF and we all know what a process that was!

Then, I ordered the 2010 Standard which STILL hasn't shipped (that's why I eventually cancelled my order).

Now, after months of waiting for the AFD100, mine was one of the first 100 to leave the Marshall factory, it was despatched to me by my supplier on 20th December along with 1960AV and 1960BV cabs, dust covers for the cabs and a carry bag for my Mackie mixer. So far, all that the carrier (City Link) have delivered is the dust covers and carry bag. They have NO IDEA where the head and cabs are! I went to the local depot and the backlog that they had due to snow and Christmas was so large that, after 15 minutes of me looking with one of their staff, I still couldn't swear that the delivery wasn't there!

I'm not feeling terribly lucky at the moment :'(
If you find a cure for GAS let me know!!!!!

gumbo-fgn

Welcome to the world of (il)logistics..

..take heart from the fact that it also happens in other parts of the Ball  (like mine!!)     >:(

....good luck and pleasant dreams...

Zummooz-fgn

Oh Bummer Welshman.....not again.  :o

You haven't run over a black cat on a friday the 13th or something have you ?

Oh...man you could write a book on your delays & non arrivals.  ;)
You'd have better luck with the tooth fairy !

Sure hope the rest of  2011 improves for you.......Let us know what the out-come to this is !

Cheers  :)
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

MCK-fgn

Oh boy... There is one happy & loud delivery man somewhere out there...  :'(  Hope they manage to track that beast down soon Welshman. The full stack too... Wow!!! Please post photos when you get it back
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Johnnyurq-fgn

Nae luck at all Welshman. Time to buy some lucky white heather.  :(

I thought my luck was sucky but that is not good at all. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all, but that is really crap for you.

Here's hoping it all gets sorted out ASAP and you can enjoy your new GAS.

Elboy

i think you need the following:
Rabbits foot on your Key ring
Lucky white heather
Black cat
house shoe
4 leaf clover

Bad luck man.  On the bright side its there loss.  I have hard a tough time getting things delivered.  I had one parcel delivered to the correct house number but the wrong street 3 days before xmas.  The delivery guy thought it would be a good idea to put it behind a plant pot in the back garden.  We then had mega heavy snow.  Lucky the owner happened to see something sticking out and delivered it to me on xmas eve.  In the parcel £300 of pedals for both my boy and my xmas!
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

Welshman-fgn

City Link finally managed to find my consignment - it took MANY phone calls and three visits to the depot before I eventually got the amp.

When I get a moment, I'll post some pics - this thing is a beauty!

The power control is a thing of wonder - to be able to get the tones of a flat out Marshall stack at a volume level that you can talk over is just incredible  ;D

Mrs Welshman now DEEPLY unhappy - study currently has:
1 Mesa MkV combo
1 Mesa MkV head and 1x12 cab
1 Marshall stack
1 Roland drum kit
5 electric guitars
1 acoustic guitar (mine)
2 acoustic guitars (the kids)
1 mandolin
plus all the furniture, a TV, Wii, xbox, hifi and an iMac
It's getting a little crowded in there!

MCK-fgn

Congratulations!!! Glad to see it made it. Any damage?

Zummooz-fgn

Great news finally Welshman  ;D

Quote from:  Welshman on January 16, 2011, 03:05:26 PM
1 Mesa MkV combo
1 Marshall stack
1 Roland drum kit
5 electric guitars
1 acoustic guitar (mine)
1 mandolin
Sounds like you need to swap the rooms about......move the lounge room to the study  ;)  bingo.....problem solved !

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

MCK-fgn

Great way to approach the problem. Thats what I call thinking outside the box.... or the room!  ;D

Welshman-fgn

Thanks guys - yes, it is here and it is safe and sound! Mrs Welshman has been mellowing slightly and I've moved a couple of guitars and the Mesa combo up to the spare bedroom. As promised, here is a (slightly dodgy) pic of the AFD with my DF. When I get chance, I'll post one of it with my Appetite LP.
Do you think now would be a good time for me to mention to her indoors that I'm looking for an a/b/y pedal and a decent reverb, or should I wait a month or 10?

Current candidates are:
TC Nova NR1
TC Hall of fame
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail
Eventide Space

As for the a/b/y, the Radial Bones Twin City seems to be the one for the job - looking to put the cabs in stereo and then run the AFD through one side and the MkV head through the other. That'll give me a 4 channel amp with the ability to play two channels at once!

MCK-fgn

Great shot. For safety reasons I would urge you to remove the wheels on especially the top cab but even the lower cab. That thing has real killer qualities right now as its standing...

I use a Voodoo Lab Amp Switcher for AB/Y. It actually has support for 4 amps with individual levels controls + ground lift. Also a tuner out which allows you to go to a 5th amp if you really want to... Good unit.

Johnnyurq-fgn

Awesome setup Welshman, you will be able to make small things around the house move with that. Maybe MCK is correct with wheels it may move when you play a power chord (Elf & Safety and all that). :)

Elboy

Surely it is a study, to me it looks like you study the science of Rock n Roll is that not what the room is for?????  Brill set up and glad it turned up. From an Elf and Safety man such as myself, you do need to take that wheels off  ;D

1 Mesa MkV combo
1 Marshall stack
1 Roland drum kit
5 electric guitars
1 acoustic guitar (mine)
1 mandolin
[/quote]
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

Zummooz-fgn

Very nice Welshman.  ;D
That'll get the lounge room a rocking & a shaking.....sorry....so called 'study'  ;)

I've seen what happens after a plasma screen has topple on to a small kid......Not pretty !
Hate to think what that would do to a small child.....Get rid of those wheels.

What to get next......May-be a sewing machine  ;)

Welshman-fgn

Right guys, let's get one thing straight, it IS a study - it's got books and a desk int it ;)

As for the rickety cabs, the top one has gone back and been replaced today - I was so excited when it finally got here, that I didn't realise that they had sent me a 1960A instead of the 1960AV that had been ordered. I've stuck it back on minus the wheels and I must say that there's hardly any difference! The wheels locked quite nicely in the bottom cab and it wasn't that much more rickety.

Just to keep you guys happy, I've left the wheels off for now!

When I get a mo, I'll get another couple of pics of it with the Apetite LP.

If you look at the AFD100 website, all the customers in the US are moaning because only 100 have been shipped so far - all to the UK and there's little or no info coming out of Marshall as to when shipping will start to the US. It's nice for us in the UK to get something first for a change ;D

Welshman-fgn

Being a Science teacher, I just HAD to check out this safety issue with the wheels! ::)
Believe it or not, the stack is MORE stable with the wheels - they lock in to the little troughs and hold the cab steady. With the wheels off, the plastic feet actually allow the cab to slide across the bottom cab. So, sorry guys, the wheels are going back on!
Anyway, I promised some decent pics and here they are - one is how I've modded the AFD to have a clean channel  ;)

Johnnyurq-fgn

Very nice indeed, looks like an awesome setup with or without wheels (I was only taking the mick).

MCK-fgn

Quote from:  Welshman on January 22, 2011, 12:31:09 PM
Being a Science teacher, I just HAD to check out this safety issue with the wheels! ::)
Believe it or not, the stack is MORE stable with the wheels - they lock in to the little troughs and hold the cab steady. With the wheels off, the plastic feet actually allow the cab to slide across the bottom cab. So, sorry guys, the wheels are going back on!
Anyway, I promised some decent pics and here they are - one is how I've modded the AFD to have a clean channel  ;)

Glad to hear you looked into this with a scientific eye. Hearsay is a powerful phenomenon. My experience with the wheels is that after few years of getting pushed around the ball bearings wear out a little and the wheels get sloppy on the vertical axis. This adds to the wobble factor for the cab. If you keep at home and don't push the things around too much your mileage probably will vary!

Great looking set though. I also liked your clean channel solution. Good going.

DF400-fgn

Great Rockin' setup. Bet you can make your neighbors' ears bleed! Love that Slash model.

Welshman-fgn

Thanks guys, yes MCK adding the MkV for a clean is a great solution, but I now need a better a/b/y pedal - I've been looking at the Tonebone twin city which looks pretty promising. The only problem is where to put the MkV because it is much deeper than the Marshall so the feet don't sit fully on the top of it. I'd either have to put some sort of stand or table next to the stack or put the cabs side by side and have a head on each - spoils the look of it though :-[

DF400, that Appetite LP is something REALLY special - the AFD sounds great with every guitar I've put in front of it, but it is somehow even better with that one - maybe it's the extra output from those Slash Seymour Duncans, but it has a marked effect on the sounds from the amp.
As for the output, the power soak is superb and it retains its tone almost all the way down to 0.1Watt - even then you can compensate with the amp settings and still get it to sound like a stack (just one that is a long way off  ;D).

Has anyone else seen the new Mesa? The Atlantic range has a new 100Watt model that has footswitchable power soaks (one for each channel). It only has 5 positions per channel, but it will take the amp down to 3W without killing the tone. I'm already thinking of offloading my MkV combo and giving it a try now I've got cabs with wheels ;)

Johnny, don't worry about taking the mick, it's my hobby! Sarcasm my be the lowest form of wit, but it's my favourite!!!

Johnnyurq-fgn

Quote from:  Welshman on January 23, 2011, 01:32:29 AM
Johnny, don't worry about taking the mick, it's my hobby! Sarcasm my be the lowest form of wit, but it's my favourite!!!

LOL, also I don't know about your day to day work but the old Elf & safety mob are the bane of my existence, barstewards that they are.

Welshman-fgn

Quote from:  Johnnyurq on January 23, 2011, 08:56:29 AM
LOL, also I don't know about your day to day work but the old Elf & safety mob are the bane of my existence, barstewards that they are.
In teaching, EVERYTHING is ruled by health and safety - we have to create risk assessments for everything short of breathing! The world has gone MAD ::)

MCK-fgn

Elboy

I thank the lawyers every day!!  I am a Health and Safety Director for the largest Subsea construction company in the world and they just bought me a very nice computer woop woop.
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV