"Gangsters On The Run" DF / VG / Logic / Original

Started by Zummooz-fgn, September 09, 2010, 06:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz-fgn

Hi  all

Song  title    "Gangsters  On  The  Run"    Original  /   5.29  min
Not  sure  what  style  you  call  it , to  many  to  choose  from , you  tell  me....

I  started  with  that  kind  of  U2  style......Then  went  totally  off  track.
Suppose  it's  sort  of  a  'Guitars   V   Synths'  is  the  best  way  to  put  it.
57  tracks  all  up  so  far , So  I  won't  be  going  though  all  of  these.

Recorded  in  my  home  studio  with  Logic 9  +  iMac  10.5.8   2.4 Ghz  4Gb  using 
Dark Fire  into  VG-99  into  Zoom  Multi / Track  for  added  efx's ,
Just  recorded  simple  riff  loops  of  guitar  &  bass  &  placed  here  &  there  like  a  puzzle.

Also  using  different  Synths.....Virus Ti , Kore 2 , Crystal  &  using  Maschine  for  drum  tracks.
Did  some  'guitar  to  midi'  bits  as  well , here  &  there.

Didn't  use  normal  drums  as  such ,  kept  to  using  just  Djembe's  /  shakers  &  other  types.
I  can't  sing  so  thats  why  I  use  synths  etc  to  fill  it  in. Also  used   some  sound  efx's  from  logic.

Done  a  little  eq  &  panning  &  Vol  automation , very  little  insert  efx's
Is  NOT  a  finished  song  as  yet..........But  wanted  your  thoughts  so  far.
I  know  some  vocals  would  be  nice........But  not  sure  what  else  it  needs.........If  anything !!

I  would  like  you  to  listen  to  this  with  headphones  if  possible  as  it  might  come  across  better , ie:  Diff   sounds / efx's
But  there  again  I  just  pump  it  up  loud  with  my  monitors.
I  personally , really  like  the  drum  tracks  that  I  put  together  in  this  song !!  Has  a  nice  punch  to  it.

Any  thoughts , idea's , comments  from  any  direction  gratefully  appreciated.
Thank  you  so  much  for  listening  hope  you  enjoyed  it.   

Zummooz
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

shawnb-fgn

The drum tracks are impressive.   

I'm trying to place it, though very unique, it reminds me of some of the old Space Pirate Radio.

Perhaps Gunter Schickert?....

Perhaps Jean Michel Jarre's Zoolook (featuring Adrian Belew & Laurie Anderson)?

No, this stands on its own.  Very good. 

I don't think I've ever heard quite so many random sounds used in a piece.   Yet it still works.   
Excellent mix, nothing muddied up despite all the layers, the samples sound very, very crisp & clear.
Many of those samples are awesome. 
Automation is tastefully done.   Would have been easy to overdo it here.  Admirable restraint.   

Yes, I liked it quite loud myself! 

Sorry I missed this back in Sept...
This is one of my favorite topics on FGN, tragically haven't visited in a bit.

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

MCK-fgn

Amazing!!! I totally missed this gem as well. I fully agree with Shawn's comments up above. Very tasty. I can see you doing film scores for certain genres with ease! Keep it up!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zummooz-fgn

Thanks so much guys, for your very kind comments.

Got a smile on my dial  ;D  and a rather large head now...thanks

This was a type of test-run, using as much of my gear at once, just to see how much my iMac / logic could handle
playing back, before having to 'Freeze' something or record some Midi into Audio 1st etc.
Finished with 57 tracks (some only have small bits thou).....But all 57 were right at the peak in CPU use (Just about cracking-up)

Did have about 5 other tracks, deleted those, as it was just way too much. Getting muddled & killed the CPU anyway.
Virus Ti user's bugger all CPU. It's the other stuff like Kore 2 & Crystal etc.
9 tracks were...Drums, Djembe Shakers etc all out of NI Maschine, most sounds edited in some way to get what needed.

By having so many tracks was a nightmare panning wise, thats where 2 screens come in handy !
Monitored though monitors, but used the headphones for close up panning & crucial bits.

Didn't really need insert effects to add in as such, as each instrument was setup with effects before recording.

Correct.....I did restrain myself on automation etc as there was so much happening.
So right....That to much auto / efx's could have completely killed the song so very easily. It was a another leaning point for me.
Would love to here an expert's mix on this thou, I mean by a pro. May-be one day.

I do know that (Jean Michel Jarre's) use's a Virus Ti, that maybe the sound your thinking similar.
(But thats a high rung on the ladder to compare this song to).........But, Gee Thanks
As dose Hans Zimmer (ex Buggles, 'Video killed the radio star') the great music / film composer. Name any film.
Here I'll save you....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001877/bio
Have a read of his Personal Quotes......Here's a sml quote from it.....
I wake up around noon, light a cigarette, get a cup of coffee, sit in the bathtub for an hour and daydream,
and I usually come up with some ideas... It's a very irresponsible life.
The only decisions I make are about the notes I'm writing.

Oh my, what a life!  ;)

A lot of my stuff is that sort of, sound-track / film-score / adverts / doco's / background music.
Kind of happens when ya can't sing.

Thank you so much again for your very kind words.
Very much appreciated ......Thanks & Cheers  ;D   
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

dreambig33-fgn

I love the atmosphere on that. I can visualise your gangsters in a whole world of pain. Were they being chansed by Helicopeters at one stage? :) Really good. With a scope like that, you hardly need video :)

My DF went into be repaired and they are sending it to Melbourne :( Will it ever be seen again?

Andrew