Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

Not so high tech - but a lot of fun.

My surf band "The Dentures" 

Steve Conrad (me) : Guitar

Mark Ciccone: Guitar

Ron Saul: Bass

Tres Feltman: Drums

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

DF400-fgn

That was awesome, love the play-off. You blew the doors off the other guy though. Nice flat picking.

yzept

When I was a teenager and cassette players started appearing from Japan in the late sixties they almost all came with a demo tape with the same four tracks, one of which was an arrangement of Walk Don't Run 64 almost identical to this one. Really happy memories, I still like hearing it 40 years later.  8)

Melvin C

It doesn't get much better than that!  Congrats! 8)

Elantric-fgn

The gear

The Dipinto Galaxie IV guitar - it has rather weak single coil pickups (neck pickup for "Walk dont run" ) in the Dan Electro territory and  very wide frequency response  - no focused midrange like a typical gibson types.  supposedly designed by Bill Lawrence to be clones of the old Vox Phantom  / Italian Eko pickups. and the strings are 2 months old and dead Fender Super Bullets 10-46 ;) Fender Jazzmaster type floating tremolo and I modified the stock roller T.O.M type bridge, replaced with a "rocking" Jazzmaster type Bridge - only way to keep this guitar in tune with the tremolo bar use. (the stock roller bridge was a nightmare) . Planet Waves locking tuners .

Guitar feeds the stock 1962 Fender Tube Reverb (not a re-issue) - all controls at midpoint = "noon". This one has the original  Hammond 2 spring reverb tank - not the identical looking Accutronics version. might even have the original tubes !

then i feed a Barber Tone Press compressor - with the Vol on 8 , "Blend on 3 (gives pass through of straight clean guitar dynamics with only 30% compression effecting the note tails)  Sustain set at midpoint.

I use a Boss LS2 pedal  - simply as a 6 db clean boost for solos

then feed a Line 6 Echo Park - but i think this was "off" for this song. also in bypass is a Dan Electro tremolo pedal  - the little $30 plastic yellow one

then I use a stock 2006 Roland Cube 60 with its stock internal 12" speaker closed back cab, with the COSM Amp mode set to "BlackFace" - treat it like a Fender Twin i recall all knobs at midpoint Preamp Vol,  Master Vol, Bass Mid, treble, Presence. all at "noon" .

What i really love about the Roland Cube 60 is the internal delay  - which I tend to use 90% of the time .  - it adds delay AFTER the COSM amp modelling  - right before the signal hits the power amp.

You have to hear the Gretsch 6120 with this rig - it sounds identical to the "Who's Next" record.

But 90% of your tone is in your fingers.

The National Resophonic Guitar at the end is a prototype "ResoRocket" , as I am working with Don Young and his expert team of luthiers and craftsmen at National Resophonic Guitar here in San Luis Obispo CA to create a custom Resophonic guitar optimized for acoustic alt music. We have a few tricks and trade secrets for a future model.
http://www.nationalguitars.com/

Johnnyurq-fgn

Awwsome I love a cool bit of surf music.

Bill Ruppert-fgn

Dripping of great tone!
A++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And that is on a moving float!!!
If I was on the street I would have freaked out.
Bill

Zummooz-fgn

Amazing  never  seen  2  bands....Dueling  at  10  paces.

I  say  nice  work  to  ya.
Love  that  silver  guitar....thats  a  beauty

Thanks  for  sharing  your  long  weekend  with  us.
Just  made  me  feel  warmer  sitting  here......in  the  rain  &  cold....Down  under

Cheers 
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Vic1iful-fgn

I still love that music. Excellent job. Like that guitar at the end. Cool.  Was that you playing it?

Elantric-fgn

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I do play in a few different bands, but this Surf band is taking off with steady gigs. Yes that's me playing a prototype National ResoRocket guitar at the end. Hey it's all live and spontaneous, and fun. 

Elantric-fgn

Just learned that my surf band "The Dentures" is opening act for Dick Dale at the biggest club in San Luis Obispo, California on December 2, 2010..

Think I need to go clothes shopping today;)

http://www.slobrewingco.com/

Bill Ruppert-fgn

The Dentures rock balls!
You guys are great.
You will shake Dale up for sure.
Have fun and play loud!!!

Quote from:  Elantric on July 26, 2010, 09:40:22 PM

Not so high tech - but a lot of fun.

My surf band "The Dentures" 

Steve Conrad (me) : Guitar

Mark Ciccone: Guitar

Ron Saul: Bass

Tres Feltman: Drums

Zummooz-fgn

Well done Elantric
Nice gig, hope all goes well.... :)

Don't think a suit & tie would look right for a surf band.....May-be a grass skirt  ;)

Enjoy
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elantric-fgn

Just a heads up for anyone traveling thru the central California coast this Sunday (June, 24)

Free Surf music Concert this Sunday afternoon 1:00pm - 4:00pm
in Avila Beach, Ca
@
Salisbury Vineyards
6985 Ontario Road, San Luis Obispo, California 93405

I play guitar in The Dentures surf band and we are pleased to be performing this weekend with Mr. Paul Johnson (Duo-Tones, Mr Moto)

===
Surf's Up  - with The Dentures + Paul Johnson (Mr Moto)

This Sunday Afternoon June 24

Salisbury Vineyards in Avila Beach starts the season off right with the coolest surf band around - The Dentures! + special guest + Paul Johnson (Mr Moto)

KunFusion Kulinary will be here with their ultra fab food truck. Food and wine for purchase. Free admission.

More info at -
    The Dentures: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Dentures-Central-Coast-Surf-Band/140964392585361

KunFusion Kulinary: https://www.facebook.com/kunfusion.truck?ref=ts

Salisbury Vineyards
6985 Ontario Road, San Luis Obispo, California 93405

http://www.denturesurfmusic.com/bio.html
http://www.pjmoto.com/
http://www.pjmoto.com/news.html

Also we will be performing again on a float in the morning in the 2012 Cayucos California 4th July Parade

aliensporebomb-fgn

Gotta love Misirlou on a National resophonic!

Elantric-fgn

THANKS!

Same guitar now has a Bigsby!

Looking forward to a fun day of filling the streets with reverb drenched Surf guitar as we participate on a float in the 4th of July Parade in Cayucos California at 10:00am. with the Boogie Sisters  "Synchronized Boogie board dancing team"   

photonutalan1-fgn

Now that I have my eyeballs back in their sockets, and have relocated my brain to its former place...of course, what could be more natural for a demented surfoholic? That's just BRILLIANT, Elantric!!! It's the ultimate wave rave (I'd ask what possessed you, but I think I already know!)  Good for you; you own the waves!!! :D