Original instrumental, "Sword Runner", Sonar, Progressive rockish

Started by Germanicus-fgn, October 21, 2009, 01:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germanicus-fgn

http://www.myspace.com/steamtheory

Its the first tune listed in the playlist, "Sword Runner".

I used Cakewalk Sonar to record.
All guitar parts done with a Godin LGXT's 13pin output into a VG99. The electrics, acoustics, sitars, basses, are all vg99 patches (mostly homebrewed).
I used the vg99's midi converstion to drive Kontakt for some orchestral parts (Project Sam truestrike, some Vienna SL horns and strings) and Gmedia's M-tron (mellotron bank emulator/sampler).

Drums are EZdrummer.

Comments/criticisms/advice welcome.

Thanks!
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

The_Fuzz22

Particularly enjoy the first surge of orchestral sound and the same goes for the percussion, the introduction really builds up to them very nicely.

I think the feature that really makes this instrumental so listenable is the noticeably extensive variation throughout, you never lose interest in an entire 10 minutes. It plays out like a well-structured piece of classical music.
A sterling effort, thouroughly enjoyed.
Granted I'm studying English and Philosophy... But this is what I actually DO:
www.reverbnation.com/jonnyvaughan
www.myspace.com/jonnyvaughan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jonny-Vaughan/49440122683

shawnb-fgn

This is pretty impressive.  I like the straight-up guitar in the last 25% of the work. 

Other than EZ Drummer, was everything else guitar?     
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Germanicus-fgn

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Shawnb: The 'orchestral parts' (choir, bassoon, pipe organ, and string pad) are from a soft sampler (m-tron - a mellotron emulator plugin from g-media, a godsend little app that includes a few gigs of original mellotron sound banks). I recorded the orchestral parts with my guitar, using the vg99's midi conversion output into a midi track in Sonar. I also used some french horns from VSL's Epic Horns Library. The little orchestral percussion at the end is from Project Sam's True Strike library.  Many folks arent thrilled with rolands midi conversion output, but ive been pretty pleased with it as long as I dont go too crazy and try to play to its limitations (no speed runs on lower strings).

The acoustic guitars, sitar parts, electric leads, bass guitar and synth tones are straight out of the vg99.

Thanks again for the listen.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

alexbird-fgn

Nice interesting prog!
I like VG99's tune here and m-tron parts is amazing!

Elboy

i have had to listen to this one a few times.  its not my type of music but i fully understand what you have done on this. Its well thought out and well produced.  I listened to Slippy as well, i thought it was more accessible  and i liked the jazz touch in it.  Keep it up and keep posting.
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp