Guitar Pickup Tone Database & How does capacitance affect the tone?

Started by Elantric-fgn, September 01, 2009, 03:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

http://www.aqdi.com/cgi-bin/database.cgi

Go to the Link above!

Instruction and FAQ

How do I use this guitar pickup tone tool...

* ... if I'm a nontechnical guitarist?

Find a pickup in the left hand list that you are familiar with. Highlight it by clicking on it. Find a pickup in the right hand list you would like to compare the first one to and click on it. Click the Get Pickup Info! button. Click the links beside the check boxes to hear how they compare.
    * ... if I understand audio matters and some electronics?

Scroll through the two lists of pickups to find two that you are interested in, and select one in each list. Check the boxes that correspond to the cable setup you typically use. Click the Get Pickup Info! button. Listen to each pickup under a variety of cable and loading conditions by clicking the links beside the check boxes. (The links work whether the boxes are checked or not.) The graph shows a frequency response curve for each of the boxes you checked. Select the "expanded graph high end" check box to examine the differences between pickups from 1KHz and up, which is where most of the action is. More detailed technical information appears below. Now pop open your favorite beverage and think about what you see.

Our pickup comparison database lets you compare pickups technically and audibly. We have measured the responses of many pickups for you, new models and old, and have compiled this information into a free database that you can use in pickup selection decisions.

There are some big problems related to pickup selection. The first is that they are not cheap. Paying a hundred bucks or more for a single pickup is a risky venture. On top of that, it takes an hour or two to install pickups in an instrument. That makes it difficult to do a fast A/B/A/B/A/B comparison. Pickups also sound different in every guitar, being affected by the type of strings and their age, the shape and construction of the instrument, the type of wood, the temperature and humidity, and what the player had for breakfast. For more detail, see our article on The Guitar Tone Equation.

Another problem is that pickup tone is described in the press using the most wishy-washy adjectives imaginable: Brittle, strident, warm, gutteral, biting, smooth, etc. What do these terms mean? That depends on the reviewer's taste, or lack thereof. The fact is, if two guitarists use the same term to describe two different sounds then they mean nothing. Even the less silly terms like darker (less high frequency content) and brighter (more high frequency content) are relative to the listener's ear.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Zipidy-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on September 01, 2009, 03:32:36 PM
Another problem is that pickup tone is described in the press using the most wishy-washy adjectives imaginable: Brittle, strident, warm, gutteral, biting, smooth, etc. What do these terms mean? That depends on the reviewer's taste, or lack thereof. The fact is, if two guitarists use the same term to describe two different sounds then they mean nothing. Even the less silly terms like darker (less high frequency content) and brighter (more high frequency content) are relative to the listener's ear.

Well said! As someone who plays guitar alone, I don't have a lot of external reference with regard to tone, and I've always been confused by the myriad of descriptors.

Also, I certainly am a nontechnical guitarist (although since acquireing the DF I've had a forced crash-course in its technical side). And this site speaks at my level. Thanks!

I've noticed that the Gibson pups are selections # 75-82. Which among those listed are closest to the P-90 & BB?

MCK-fgn

Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

photonutalan1-fgn

Thanks, Elantric! This is most valuable on many levels to many different people; you've covered a lot of ground very succinctly (as usual)!!!

Elantric-fgn

The link below explains how the quality of the cable type employed will yield different results and sonic characteristics on passive high impedance signals, such as the Dark Fires TIP when feeding a guitar amp ( using a mono cable). also you have to factor in your age and your current audio frequency response. In other words - you might have to find a 10 year old who can help you "audition" cables - as their young ears and frequency response extension to 18kHz  - they can help you choose the right cable - ask them to help you pick which cable sounds "brighter".

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/cords/index.php

But realize there is another argument - I know some blues guitarists who use those old '60's style "spiral" guitar cords - the type that spring back - ( similar to what was used on old Telephone handsets). They love these type cables because they have much higher capacitance  - which in turn rolls off high frequencies ,and provides them a smoother, "less brittle tone. To thse guys, their guitar cable brand, type, and length is just as important as their Guitar Amp and Guitar Speaker type - all are chosen carefully for the desired tone, and subject to personal preference.

Elantric-fgn