SY-1000 - Arkieboy sounds - an update

Started by arkieboy, September 30, 2021, 06:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

Been a while since I posted some sounds here, so I went through my SY1k and picked out those sounds that I think would make sense to a general player rather than stuff that it tailored to a particular song.

I've posted a lot of these before, but I continually tweak so I expect that many will be slightly different.  Apologies if you can't tell!!

Generally I use CTL3 for an alternate or modded voice and CTL4 as a hold/tap tempo pedal.  You might need to look at those assigns and customise them for your own setup.

---

Nylon Grand - IIRC I think this is essentially a transfer from the GP10.  There was a tutorial somewhere about how to get really good nylon sounds from that unit and I did my best to copy across some of the sounds I had use for.

Acoustic/Electric fusion - these are the 12string tuned to 5ths sounds from the VG99.

Howe-Coral - one for when you're Close to the Edge

POD Mellostrings - this is ASBs patch from the VG99 transcribed across

OSC Humana - I don't think I've changed this at all since I posted, included for completeness

Steve Lead - a simple saw lead I originally programmed into my GR700.  The original you can hear here @3:40.  Shame Craig was pointing at the other guitarist

SY-Soundtrack - an attempt at the classic D50 soundtrack patch.  I love the D50.  You may need to tweak the dynamic response a little to get the second voice to come in at the right picking intensity

Banks - a classic ARP mono synth lead of the kind Tony Banks used in mid-period Genesis

Oxygen Strings - an Eminent 310 through a pair of phasers and a delay line.  Play Gm, Fm, Cm, D7 fairly slowly and imagine that lazy Moog gliss every other chord

Mays - Lyle Mays flutey OB Four Voice sound from 'Its for You ...'

FantasiaArkie v1/v2 - these are variants on 'strings+bells' which I used to get from layering the GR700 and a TX81Z through a SPX90, but while I was in there first ;-) it was nowhere near as good as Eric Persings' D50 preset and was replaced with such as soon as I bought my D550.   Did I say I love the D50?  I sold it when I got a GR50 because it had essentially the same synth engine - I said goodbye at New Street Station in Birmingham and it went on tour with the Pet Shop Boys.  I regretted it ever since.  I did buy a D50 keyboard a few years later, but it needed TLC so I sold that to the keyboard player in my band who restored it to full working order and I got to enjoy it played beautifully for a year or so until the band split.

Hank - regular guitar input patch.  Plug in a strat, put on some heavy rimmed glasses and practice your square walk

BGCrunchLowGLP/St - regular guitar input patch, ST variant for Strat, LP for your Lester-like guitar - there was a GT1k tutorial on YouTube using the Bogner model to get some lovely crunch sounds which I've come to prefer to my normal Marshall models.  Unless you have FS switches on CTL3 (latch) and CTL4 (momentary) you will need to look at the assigns here.  CTL3 kicks a lead boost and introduces a slap back echo.  CTL4 is tap tempo for the echo.  CTL1 is a flanger on the LP variant and switches in the wah on the ST variant (tweak the response for your expression pedal, my Moog pedal is a bit odd) and CTL2 toggles between slap back and something longer for those guitar-hero ballad moments.  This is one of my 'do everything' sounds.  If the whole song is basically crunch/lead then its all under this one patch.  I'm playing with a single bank of sounds at the moment - a 12str model switchable to 6, a clean with chorus and tapped delays that can be switched in, this crunch/lead and whatever synth sound I need for the song.  We'll see if it lasts the first rehearsal - I reserve the right to go back to one-bank-per-song!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

Oh, and on the Bogner Strat variant, either s1 or s2 toggles a 500Hz 10dB mid boost for when you get your 80s Clapton on

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

Thanks for the updates to these!.   

I was seriously just considering doing a D50 soundtrack patch since I did one for the VG-99 and was thinking about how to do it right when I got sidetracked creating a big chorus patch and a few others. 

Can't wait to check these new ones out!

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

JiveTurkey

These are all great. Thanks for sharing! \m/

JiveTurkey

So the Uber model in the latest Boss stuff; if used thinking you will sound like an Uberschall; is terrible. ABYSMAL. The way you are setting the Uber up in the BG Crunch patch in this set, however; is perfect. It doesn't sound like an Uber but it sounds GOOD! I love the Uber in other platforms (where they actually take measurements of amps when modeling them and get it to sound like the real life amp in question) but the Boss has always been super disappointing in comparison. This preset with some very small tweaks sounds stellar to my ears. Because I am just forgetting about sounding like an Uber and just concentrating on sounding like a great gained up amp.

arkieboy

Quote from: JiveTurkey on October 15, 2021, 05:53:31 AM
So the Uber model in the latest Boss stuff; if used thinking you will sound like an Uberschall; is terrible. ABYSMAL. The way you are setting the Uber up in the BG Crunch patch in this set, however; is perfect. It doesn't sound like an Uber but it sounds GOOD! I love the Uber in other platforms (where they actually take measurements of amps when modeling them and get it to sound like the real life amp in question) but the Boss has always been super disappointing in comparison. This preset with some very small tweaks sounds stellar to my ears. Because I am just forgetting about sounding like an Uber and just concentrating on sounding like a great gained up amp.

Thank you!!

I have to say this mirrors my experience with the SY.  If I want realism its my Helix + 3rd party IRs every time.  But I find it much more easy to get something musical out of the SY, particularly if I stop looking at the labels and start using my ears.  I =almost never= use those modern high gain amplifiers, but this one at low gain is just awesome.

The video I mentioned was one of Leon Todd's

Antonuzzo

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 05, 2021, 07:41:04 PM
Thanks for the updates to these!.   

I was seriously just considering doing a D50 soundtrack patch since I did one for the VG-99 and was thinking about how to do it right when I got sidetracked creating a big chorus patch and a few others. 

Can't wait to check these new ones out!

One of the things that has given me huge amounts of pleasure in the last year is getting hold of a Roland D-05 and triggering it with the GR-55. Endless '80s indulgence!

arkieboy

Quote from: Antonuzzo on October 15, 2021, 08:38:20 AM
One of the things that has given me huge amounts of pleasure in the last year is getting hold of a Roland D-05 and triggering it with the GR-55. Endless '80s indulgence!

I just wish it had proper outputs and a proper IEC power socket!

I now have D50 GAS again.  It will take me months to recover!

aliensporebomb

The Soundtrack patch is pretty close.

The Bogner - it must be something with my setup, to my ears it sounds like a Mic'ed high gain amp where the amp is putting the output to a small speaker rather than full size. 
I'm not sure why, it's like something is lost in the low end.

I did get a nice high gain sound with a patch I created which was a variation on the UK Mod Stack but I'm still fine tuning it.

At any rate, this is a nice batch of patches to experiment with and enjoy.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 15, 2021, 01:52:39 PM
The Bogner - it must be something with my setup, to my ears it sounds like a Mic'ed high gain amp where the amp is putting the output to a small speaker rather than full size. 
I'm not sure why, it's like something is lost in the low end.

I did get a nice high gain sound with a patch I created which was a variation on the UK Mod Stack but I'm still fine tuning it.

At any rate, this is a nice batch of patches to experiment with and enjoy.

I think the strat version - I'm assuming that's the one your using - kind of got a kick in the gain saved.  If you look at the LP version I've set it to 22, whereas the Strat one seems too high in the 40s.  Pull it back to 26-28.  If that helps, I'll update the bundle.

And I don't think its meant to have =lots= of bottom anyway - its a 2x12 cab after all.  It always just puts a smile on my face when I hit an open G - rings in just the right way.

cafeTechne