Tripleplay pickup vs Jamstik Studio

Started by vtsaran, September 14, 2021, 10:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtsaran

Hi.
I do not mean to start any flame wars, but am genuinely curious as to how well Tripleplay tech compares to that of Jamstik in terms of tracking, presence of ghost notes and overall reliability as well as the friendliness of the accompanying software / plugins.
I searched Youtube but could not find any interesting demos. Is such a comparison even reasonable?
I would appreciate any thoughts, pointers or links to previous posts on this topic.

Thanks a lot.
Vic

admin

Ive played both.
Tripleplay has lower latency.

But Jamstik Studio Pro embraces latest MPE standards, has USB and 5 pin MIDI out and includes a guitar

About same cost as Tripleplay Wireless + FC-1 USB host to 5 pin MIDI Converter/foot pedal

vtsaran

Thanks for such a fast response.
I just realized I posted this into the wrong sub-forum, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to move the topic to a better one. So, apologies for this.

I will be getting a Jamstik Studio tomorrow and so am looking forward to testing it alongside my Godin Custom Session guitar with built-in FTP.
Again, thanks for the heads-up!

admin

Quote from: vtsaran on September 14, 2021, 11:36:25 PM
Thanks for such a fast response.
I just realized I posted this into the wrong sub-forum, but it doesn't seem like there is a way to move the topic to a better one. So, apologies for this.

I will be getting a Jamstik Studio tomorrow and so am looking forward to testing it alongside my Godin Custom Session guitar with built-in FTP.
Again, thanks for the heads-up!

Please work with them for a while, and post your A/B test opinion Tripleplay vs Jamstik MIDI Studio Pro

I played the 1st example of JamStik Studio Pro at 2020 NAMM show -and they have updated the firmware since.

Dalai_llama

Hi,

I've also played both, and like @admin I tested the Jamstik at NAMM '20. (And I also own a Godin Session TP, by the way.  ;D)

Regarding overall tracking/response, Triple Play is a winner, both in accuracy and speed. To my taste, even the tracking of the Axon is already slightly better than the Jamstik -- though bear in mind I didn't play them side-by-side.

Now the Jamstik is more flexible regarding outputs and I find its software to be really smart. If you adapt well to the guitar, it is a winner price- and feature-wise. Worse case scenario, you can remove the system and build a guitar to your liking and install it there (which is what I would do since my hands are huge and I always need a custom neck anyway.)

Also, with a good wireless midi -- such as Pandamidi's Midibeam -- you get the mobility of a TP-equipped guitar through 5-pin midi output.

Finally, take into account Fishman's and Jamstik's support. I've opened support tickets at Fishman that were never even acknowledged, much less responded to. I actually found an answer to my problem here at VGuitarForums and a person from Fishman responded to my question here, but I had absolutely ZERO support directly from them. When I bought my Fender TP, the original owner also needed support from them and had a similar (non-) experience.

I too would be interested in your findings. I love my Godin's play and feel, as well as my Fender TriplePlay (but sadly one or both will have to go due to unemployment...  :'()

vtsaran

Well, I guess my comparison and review will have to wait.
Just got the Jamstik Studio in the mail yesterday only to find that the guitar would not charge and the gig bag had no items described on the website. The only part of the guitar that worked was the non-MIDI portion. I have to say I really love the sound of their pickups.
Anyway, just ordered a new guitar and hope the second try will be more successful!

Dalai_llama

Well, I guess you'll get to test Jamstik's support up front!

Please let us know how it all goes.

vtsaran

OK, coming back to this topic after quite a while. :)
Finally, received my new Jamstik and having been playing with the guitar for nearly a month now.
1. Jamstik support is really great. They are a tiny business and definitely lean in all the way to hear what you have to say and try to be as helpful as possible. Perhaps all businesses should be small?
2. The instrument is very well made. I wasn't quite sure about the back cover -- it has a funny shape as in the corners do not align with the body of the guitar, but perhaps this is by design. When you unscrew the cover, underneath are the batteries and the electronics, I assume.
3. I did not find Jamstik any less performant in terms of tracking than Fishman Tripleplay. Pitch detection seems to be better with Jamstik than wireless TP, but I guess everyone already knows that!
4. I think as of this writing, FTP's software is much better than what Jamstik offers. With FTP software you can create sophisticated patches, plus the sample libraries available with Tripleplay are way better than what Jamstik offers, in my view.
5. I feel that Jamstik targets more of a beginner / intermediate player, with a bit more hand-holding and all the exercises one might need, whereas FTP is geared more toward advanced players who might want to spend more time on tweaking the system rather than practicing chords.
6. I find that both FTP and Jamstik perform best when used within their own software. The minute you go outside, e.g. running directly into other synthesizers loaded in the DAW, things get unpredictable and inconsistent. Obviously, MPE vs single-channel modes play a lot into that and lead to a lot of second-guessing.
At the moment I am not actually sure whether I gained much as a musician by substituting wireless FTP with Jamstik Studio. In my view, MIDI guitar still feels like a toy rather than something I would be using on stage or recordings.

Hopefully this summarizes my findings. I will of course update this thread if my impressions begin shifting in a more positive direction! :)

vtsaran

This has been my experience. Other than that, it was simply an assumption, not a qualified statement. So, feel free to disregard! :)