Controlling the Axe Fx III with the Roland FC 300

Started by Jim Williams, August 22, 2021, 08:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I have recently discovered how Versatile the FC 300 midi controller is. I just got My brand new Axe Fx III from Fractal on Friday. I didn't want shell out more cash for the FC 6 or FC 12 So pulled my favorite Midi controller the FC 300... I've had it for years now (1990's). I thought it had everything I need to control my Axe FX, right? I was familiar with layouts from my FM3 (the reason I bought the Axe FX) so it couldn't be that difficult, right? Well. I was right it Just a little configuring both to do what I need.

The first thing you do is a factory reset on the FC 300 because after years of using it with other devices I made some setting changes that might cause problems. In its default settings it changes patches on the Axe Fx with no Problems. the issue was selecting scenes, so you need to use standard mode and CC mode. to switch from PC to CC so on the FC 300 go into the Utilities menu until you come to the 4 modes and make sure only standard and CC modes are in caps so when you step on the bank up and down pedals at the same time the 2 modes will toggle back and forth. you will have access to 10 pedals the first 5 when at your feet and press the bank up to get to 6-10. while in CC mode hit the parameter aero and make changes to pedals 1-8. Scenes are on one CC message it can be any number but use CC 33 to simplify things. the CC# for pedals 1-8 should set to 33. the midi values for each pedal need to match the value of the Axe FX senses. pedal 1 should be 0-127, pedal 2 should be 1-127, pedal 3 should be 2-127 and so on. and set them all to momentary. the last 2 pedals are 9=CC73 and 10=CC74 and I use them for the tuner and tap tempo. I put the Tap tempo on pedal 10(CC 74) and set it to momentary. That's all the changes you need to make on the FC 300.

On the Axe FX go into the midi remote menu and set the display offset to 1 so the PC numbers match. Now tab over to the External tab and set external control 1 to CC7, EC 2 to CC1, EC 3 to CC83, EC 4 to CC82, EC 5 to CC 81 and EC 6 to CC80. this will make CTL 1, CTL 2, EXP switches 1 and 2 and EXP pedals 1 and assignable per patch. Go to the Utilities tab and set tap tempo to CC74 and the tuner to CC73.

On the back of the FC 300 you can add more EXP pedals and control pedals and set them up to do almost anything but I am good for now. to buy a new FC 300 it will cost you close to what you pay for Fractal FC floorboard but not quite but if you also buy 2 Fractal EXP pedals then your getting up there. so if you have one Laying around it could save you some money.

Jimmy.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.