Fc300 question vg99 / Gr1

Started by catfishjack, July 22, 2021, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfishjack

Before I buy a FC-300 I have to have an answer to one question:
I'm using a Vg-99 and an old Roland Gr-1 Synth which has been rebuilt.
(I use the GR-01 for 5 patchs only in a live gig setting)
I want to be able to change patchs on the VG-99 but at the same press of a switch change
a patch on the GR-1 and most importnaly I need the ability to control both units CC#7 (volume ) from one expression pedal on the FC-300.
I currently have a morningstar mc8 with a roland ev5 xpression pedal whick works fine but I feel I'm missing out on getting the most out of the vg99 not using the fc300..any help is appreciated..

admin

You should be able to accomplish bulk of what you need with the morningstar MC-8

Many Factory Presets on the VG-99 do rely on the FC-300 Sysex mode , but with analysis , you can duplicate the FC-300 support for multiple expression pedals using the MC-8

It was appalling to watch a few Youtubers perform a "VG-99 full patch demonstration , but never touch the FC-300 (or even own one) , then wonder why a VG-99 patch was called "B-Bender and still not understanding that the FC-300  was crucial to perform the  "B Bender" function

There are Hold sustain controls on FC300 too, based on the patch

But that can be replicated on MC-8. But requires a lot of MIDI control setup
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6102.msg41894#msg41894

szilard

Quote from: catfishjack on July 22, 2021, 06:28:37 AM
Before I buy a FC-300 I have to have an answer to one question:
I'm using a Vg-99 and an old Roland Gr-1 Synth which has been rebuilt.
(I use the GR-01 for 5 patchs only in a live gig setting)
I want to be able to change patchs on the VG-99 but at the same press of a switch change
a patch on the GR-1 and most importnaly I need the ability to control both units CC#7 (volume ) from one expression pedal on the FC-300.
The VG-99 manual says you can. See the section on MIDI, page 58. The FC-300 will control the VG-99 and the VG-99 will output MIDI. It has PC mapping and you can assign CC# to controls and expression pedals.

catfishjack

I guess I'm just trying to do tis the best way for live gigs and not have a jumble of foot controllers to keep an eye on  and I only need 2 Expression pedals.
The mc8 is a great piece of gear BUT its  small and from standing height  with my eye sight it isn't easy to read..
I have an old Lake Butler RFC-1 that can do it all in 90's technology ( go figure)  in the shop right now getting a rebuild and a new battery but it will be there for at least 3 weeks and I need something in the next 10 days..I can buy an FC-300 now under $300 used and if it would do what I need it to I would just suck it up and purchase it.

Shingles

Yes, you can do what you are asking.
You need to run a MIDI cable from the VG99 MIDI output to the GR1 MIDI input.
Then, for each VG99 patch that also uses a GR1 patch, set up the required VG99 MIDI out assignments. Which will just be a patch change number and 'FC300 Exp pedal > MIDI CC#'
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3