Boss Eurus GS-1 / Guitar with built-in synth!

Started by Matteo Barducci, July 15, 2021, 12:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

If it had a built in amp and speaker I'd definitely buy one.  ;D

I'm guessing that the target market is aimed at younger folks.

marcwormjim

I hope to be proven wrong when I say that this seems like another case of an established brand using new technology to take a step backward. As a Boss/Roland guitar synth guy, I couldn't be less excited about this "all in one" product.

admin

Best set of Boss Euros GS-1 images are here

https://billyhydemusic.com.au/product/boss-eurus-gs-1-custom-guitar-in-black/

Screen captures of introduction video

Brak(E)man

A guitar that looks like 99,9 % of the rest of the guitars.
A synth that can't do more than the D-50 or the moog, prophet V etc.
(That's 50-70 years ago)
I don't see the big thing.

And I can't understand why a different sort of cable and pickup would throw
any guitar player that wants to be a keyboard player off the bus ?

But as with the Strandberg guitar I'll get one when I can find one for 200 €.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

bosetuno

Wow, I really didn´t expected this. However, I feel quite positive about it, and TBH I am really surprised with all the negative comments on the forum. It´s clear Roland is not adressing most (if any) of our desires, but dont forget this. ROLAND IS THE ONLY COMPANY STILL SELLING GK-13 OR RELATED PRODUCTS. So, why not rant to Moog, Gibson, Fender, Korg, Yamaha, Axon, Terratec, and all those other companies that used to sell similar products and decided to stop doing so? Actually that whould push Roland forward with newer ideas. Actually we might demand any other company to make GK-13 compatible products since its not a propietary technology, but we dont. We just rant on Roland.

That said, Bravo Roland!

IMHO this has a much broader market than the SY-1000, specially in Japan. I hope this sells well enough to make Yamaha realease a synth version of their Variax. And then Korg make a reissue of their X911, and then Behringer clone a GR300... and then Electro Harmonix to make a hexa microsynth, and then Moog... you get the idea

Matteo Barducci

Consider that the guitar itself costs more than $ 1,000.

It's made in Japan by Fujigen (maybe), so it won't come cheap. It's not like a Korean or Chinese Variax that could go for $ 600.

The cost of "traditional" (not advanced) MIJ guitars nowadays is more than all the MIMs and even some MIAs.

A Fender Traditional MIJ Strat costs euro 1.200 here in Italy and it has no top notch hardware like Gotoh.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

Matteo Barducci

--

---> Matteo Barducci

gumtown

I go away for 2 days, and this happens while I 'm way.

So this is muchly like a upgrade from the VG-Strat?
Maybe the body could have been routed with fancy contours rather than the plain slab look,
but I think there could be a potential market,
4 x AA Batteries ?
Rechargeable LiPo would have been better with the ability to swap out a spare battery pack.
And I don't think anyone is going to want to use a plug in power supply while playing.

I suppose you could use the Boss WL-50 and go wireless too.

I agree this is not going to be for everyone here, as we know better and are spoilt with hexaphonic tech.
But will suit others who can load up 6 different tones and go play live.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: gumtown on July 16, 2021, 02:24:36 AM

So this is muchly like a upgrade from the VG-Strat?

No, it has not COSM modeling of other guitars or tunings. It has a traditional guitar setup with splittable humbuckers and a "synth engine" you could program with a mobile app and store into 6 presets.

Maybe the body could have been routed with fancy contours rather than the plain slab look,
but I think there could be a potential market,
4 x AA Batteries ?
Rechargeable LiPo would have been better with the ability to swap out a spare battery pack.
And I don't think anyone is going to want to use a plug in power supply while playing.

Yes, the choice of AA are quite strange.

I suppose you could use the Boss WL-50 and go wireless too.

You can use every wireless sistem you like. It has a summed mono output (mag+synth) or you can split mag out and synth out with separate outputs.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

gumbo

Quote from: admin on July 16, 2021, 12:28:59 AM
Best set of Boss Euros GS-1 images are here

https://billyhydemusic.com.au/product/boss-eurus-gs-1-custom-guitar-in-black/

Hmmm...

First Oz price that I have seen....although I acknowledge I hadn't actually been keen enough to look for one..

But for $3299 Australian (equal to $2448 US by today's exchange rate) I would have thought I'd at least get a CASE....     ...but then, that probably wouldn't have convinced me to buy it anyway, so no real point in crowing about that too much..

Mostly it would seem that others have pointed out all the things that I find uninteresting, so I will henceforth retreat once more before I say something that disappoints/upsets/belittles, and take refuge underground with my friends the Wombats....they're never too critical, and I do like the way they just barge through life, taking all before them...     ....look them up on Gurgle if you don't know them..

Peace to All..   :-*
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

gumtown

Price at Thomann
£1,890
Free shipping incl. VAT
In stock within 15-19 weeks

https://www.thomann.de/gb/boss_eurus_gs_1_bk.htm
comes with a gig bag.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

philjynx

This is all I can say about it, I think Ebony catches my thoughts well...

chrish

Quote from: bosetuno on July 16, 2021, 01:21:03 AM
Wow, I really didn´t expected this. However, I feel quite positive about it, and TBH I am really surprised with all the negative comments on the forum. It´s clear Roland is not adressing most (if any) of our desires, but dont forget this. ROLAND IS THE ONLY COMPANY STILL SELLING GK-13 OR RELATED PRODUCTS. So, why not rant to Moog, Gibson, Fender, Korg, Yamaha, Axon, Terratec, and all those other companies that used to sell similar products and decided to stop doing so? Actually that whould push Roland forward with newer ideas. Actually we might demand any other company to make GK-13 compatible products since its not a propietary technology, but we dont. We just rant on Roland.

That said, Bravo Roland!

IMHO this has a much broader market than the SY-1000, specially in Japan. I hope this sells well enough to make Yamaha realease a synth version of their Variax. And then Korg make a reissue of their X911, and then Behringer clone a GR300... and then Electro Harmonix to make a hexa microsynth, and then Moog... you get the idea
will you be buying one of these? If not, why not? If so, look forward to your review.

Moog has actually come out with interesting synths lately like the Moog Mother 32, which Behriger quickly copied at a lesser quality sound, build and price point.

Another one is the 4 voice paraphonic Moog Matriarch semi modular keyboard at a lesser price point then this new Boss guitar. Oh and then Behriner released a 4 voice (they call it poly but really para) keyboard that looks like a miniMoog.

But you are correct, perhaps we should not judge this guitar too harshly and see what the target market does with those 6 presets.

bosetuno

Quote from: chrish on July 16, 2021, 06:45:06 AM
will you be buying one of these? If not, why not? If so, look forward to your review.

Moog has actually come out with interesting synths lately like the Moog Mother 32, which Behriger quickly copied at a lesser quality sound, build and price point.

Another one is the 4 voice paraphonic Moog Matriarch semi modular keyboard at a lesser price point then this new Boss guitar. Oh and then Behriner released a 4 voice (they call it poly but really para) keyboard that looks like a miniMoog.

But you are correct, perhaps we should not judge this guitar too harshly and see what the target market does with those 6 presets.

Hi Chrish. No, I will not buy one of those. And the reason for it is that I´ve already invested in several GK guitars and roland Vguitar synths, so, I don´t need one at all. But thats my point actually. None of us is the target maket for it since we are the kind of guys that use GK guitars. This guitar is for the kind of guys that find GK to complicated and this seems like a much more elegant and simple way to use synth guitar. But WE have our SY1000, there´s no need for a replacement yet. Lets allow Roland to augment the interest in guitar synths and let´s hope in a near future to have several products from several companies to choose from.

Yes, Moog is quite alive, as is Behringer and quite a lot of other companies. But the only one realeasing GK products nowadays is Roland, and in my opinion, we should be pleased to them. No one else is really interested in "US". Actually, the simpler way to interface your guitar with a brand new Moog synth is using an VG device. Tripleplay still needs a computer to do so.

Anyway, I wonder what the synth specs may be indeed. I assumed it to be similar to Sy1000, but I may be wrong

admin

admin

Quote from: matbard on July 16, 2021, 02:36:15 AM
No, it has not COSM modeling of other guitars or tunings. It has a traditional guitar setup with splittable humbuckers and a "synth engine" you could program with a mobile app and store into 6 presets.

Yes, the choice of AA are quite strange.

You can use every wireless sistem you like. It has a summed mono output (mag+synth) or you can split mag out and synth out with separate outputs.

So far from my  investigation it would appear there is no internal hex pickup , the bridge is a non- piezo Gotoh 2 point Tremolo Bridge.

it all points that the EURUS GS-1 direct pedigree is the Boss SY-300,

Here's the SY-300 Discussion
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=189.0

I would expect and predict SY-300 type tones emerge from Euros GS-1 Mono Synth output jack

My one surprise is the USB Type B jack appears far more robust than simply for use only as  Firmware upgrade only port ( that type jack is often internal or under a cover plate.
This points that perhaps Boss has long range plans for EUROS GS-1 firmware updates to allow more capabilities after initial release -  perhaps for  connection to a PC based external MIDI control app (Boss Tone Studio for EUROS GS-1 ?) or external MIDI over USB control  in the future

And I understand why Boss EUROS GS-1 uses AA Battery, and not a proprietary rechargeable Ni-Mh battery

They employ a similar strategy on the recent Cube Street II  - they suggest use the new breed of rechargable AA Batteries

https://reactual.com/portable-electronics/longest-lasting-rechargeable-aa-batteries.html

This has many benefits - allows the guitar to be used on a moments notice with common Duracell AA batteries, or save the planet and use third party rechargeable AA Batteries

and the major reason is this allows the guitar to pass TSA clearance for AIR transport , as new measures at all Airport TSA check points flag and detain electronic gear with internal batteries pteventing boarding the plane.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/resources/lithium_batteries/media/Battery_incident_chart.pdf

Kevin M

Not enough info yet for me to speculate, but if it does use the equivalent of an SY300 as its synth engine, that's not necessarily a bad thing, assuming it has an improved DSP over that unit. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to purchase one of these vs simply buying a used SY300.

admin

Quote from:  Bluesbird on July 15, 2021, 10:19:09 AM
If they sold it for $600 without the synth electronics, I would buy one and install a GK kit.

https://fgnguitars.com/

pasha811

Well, what a thread. Excited. I completely missed this one until now. Definitely I work too much. ::)
BTW I like the guitar as a guitar. SY300 inside makes sense, after SY1K they have a ready to go platform that is possibly going to sell less anyway so perfect to be embedded as they did with VG99 Strat equipped guitar. 8)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Geo196

I would conjecture that the brain of this new guitar is not far off the SY-1 pedal with added Bluetooth for presets and parameters mods.

admin

Quote from: Geo196 on July 16, 2021, 11:25:04 AM
I would conjecture that the brain of this new guitar is not far off the SY-1 pedal with added Bluetooth for presets and parameters mods.

Closer to a higher performance SY-300

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: admin on July 16, 2021, 09:18:18 AM

So far from my  investigation it would appear there is no internal hex pickup , the bridge is a non- piezo Gotoh 2 point Tremolo Bridge.

From this other caption, I can see wires coming from the underside of the bridge:

Cetainly, Yoshi will address most of the concerns on the 28/7 Boss Talk. I'll wait before promoting or deceiving the guitar.
--

---> Matteo Barducci

stub

I didn't really know what to expect when I got the Boss blurb in my email. I was curious as to whether Boss would include a GK output on this pro-level instrument. They did not. Not surprising, I guess.

No mention of whether this guitar even has a divided pickup. So it raises the question of whether it is using the "normal input" type dynamic synth.

You can edit patches on your mobile device and load up to six (wow. ... six...) patches on the guitar. Not exactly swinging for the fences on that one.

As a straight up electric, it seems to follow the Les Paul pickup config, but it's hard to say based only on appearances. Nice to see 24 frets.

I can see how a self-contained guitar that requires AA batteries is perhaps preferable (for some players) to the guitar-into-box config. Perhaps Boss may still deliver a GK guitar at some point. There is good reason to hope so. Since Boss is the primary source of GK-based synth/modeling-- it could build & deliver an optimum guitar for that purpose. Hard to say whether something like that is in the cards. Perhaps they'll continue to add other models to the Eurus GS line.

Geo196

One issue remains; the power draw. The guitar is powered by 4 AA batteries. Hence my thinking for a more compact and frugal onboard effect - synth device .

Cheers.