Boss Katana Floorboard Mod by Brian Ferguson

Started by admin, July 12, 2021, 10:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

admin

Quote from: Frank on July 14, 2021, 03:14:10 AM
Apart from the power amp, doesn't this already exist?  ;)

https://www.boss.info/uk/products/gt-100/

The Katana has a 100 watt power amp .

In his use case, the All in one one Katana on the floor allows him to use any 8 ohm speaker cab at his venue - closed back speaker cabs completely change the Katanas tone

Read his Facebook link where he explains

Frank

Quote from: admin on July 14, 2021, 07:53:50 AM
The Katana has a 100 watt power amp .

In his use case, the All in one one Katana on the floor allows him to use any 8 ohm speaker cab at his venue - closed back speaker cabs completely change the Katanas tone

Read his Facebook link where he explains

I watched the video and it is well done.

My point was that a lot of people don't realise that a Katana is basically a GT-100 in a box with less features (or easier to use, depending on your point of view).
You could just pair one with a power amp and a 4x12 and get much the same result.

Or just buy the Katana head.

admin

Quote from: Frank on July 14, 2021, 07:58:23 AM
I watched the video and it is well done.

My point was that a lot of people don't realise that a Katana is basically a GT-100 in a box with less features (or easier to use, depending on your point of view).
You could just pair one with a power amp and a 4x12 and get much the same result.

Or just buy the Katana head.

While thats basically true, there is a fine tuned relationship between the Katana Amp sims and its Class AB power amp. Having torn them apart. IMHO the Katanas pedigree is the Cube 80X/XL/GX  -all those used same Class AB power AMP as Katana.

I'll share one discovery I made in 2008 - having just received  my VG-99, I struggled getting an acceptable tone when feeding VG-99 into  JBL EON cabs that matched  the " play feel" of my Tube Amps. Nearly gave up on VG-99, then purchased a 2008 Cube 60 (replaced by Cube 80XL )   and was a eureka moment that COSM could work

Today's gear with 32 bit  A/D, 64 bit DSP, CAB IR,  yields better tube Amp emulation results and interoperability across a wider range of amplification options
I'd argue that in 2021, feeding your brand new DSP modeler into aux input into a pair of closed back Cube 80XLs may provide better on stage results for guitar than a pair of powered PA cabs
And in some parts of the globe, a GT-100 or GT-1000 is rare or unaffordable - while used Katanas are now plentiful

Frank

Quote from: admin on July 14, 2021, 09:05:52 AM
While thats basically true, there is a fine tuned relationship between the Katana Amp sims and its Class AB power amp. Having torn them apart. IMHO the Katanas pedigree is the Cube 80X/XL/GX  -all those used same Class AB power AMP as Katana.

I'll share one discovery I made in 2008 - having just received  my VG-99, I struggled getting an acceptable tone when feeding VG-99 into  JBL EON cabs that matched  the " play feel" of my Tube Amps. Nearly gave up on VG-99, then purchased a 2008 Cube 60 (replaced by Cube 80XL )   and was a eureka moment that COSM could work

Today's gear with 32 bit  A/D, 64 bit DSP, CAB IR,  yields better tube Amp emulation results and interoperability across a wider range of amplification options
I'd argue that in 2021, feeding your brand new DSP modeler into aux input into a pair of closed back Cube 80XLs may provide better on stage results for guitar than a pair of powered PA cabs
And in some parts if the globe. A GT-100 or GT-1000 is rare or unaffordable

I agree on the power amp front.
It makes sense that the amps are closely matched to the DSP.

I'm surprised when reading on forums though, how many people seem to think that Katanas are solid state and contain no modelling, sort of a Peavey Bandit for the 21st century.

I've had success live with both powered floor wedges and running V-Guitar in to a Tubeworks power amp then in to a 2x12 cabinet.

They were completely different gigs though.
One was a covers band and the flat(ish) response of the wedge worked for approximating sounds from 'records'.

The other was an electronic band where I was synthifying guitar sounds and guitarifying synth sounds; so the limited frequency response of a guitar cabinet smoothed things out nicely.

Frank

admin

The marketing brilliance was renaming the product line from "Cube II" to "Katana" , decoupling legacy "Roland Cube" dogma

In similar fashion I expect next gen hex PU processor(2024)  to drop the "GK" reference , and instead use a rebranded name, and hype the perception of completely new technology