VG-99FloorBoard editor (for guitar)

Started by gumtown, April 11, 2021, 02:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunny Daw

Colin,

I have installed this Beta 20210722 and all runs OK, near as I can tell.

I think I will need to go back and re-familiarise myself with the VG-99 and how it operates, as it has been an awfully long time since I used it in any detail.

My VG-99 started up on Preset P-224 Shredder, and I like how the FloorBoard now shows the left-hand part of the tree where that Prese is, rather than sitting on User 001, and me having to scroll down to find the highlighted Preset - that makes my OCD mind a little bit happier.  (Although I will have to adjust the FloorBoard window size a bit - the bottom of FloorBoard sits behind my "Always On" task bar).

I did randomly select a Quick Load Patch "[! VG-99] allacoustics", it loaded fine, I auditioned the patch, and then used the Write function to write it to User 024 - all worked fine.

I do notice the Control 2 button on the VG-99 is illuminated (presumably something is activated within the patch), but I can't see from within the FloorBoard what that is.  I did go through all 16 Assigns on FloorBoard and did not see anything that was Assigned to Control 2 button, so couldn't work it out.  Hitting the Control 2 button on the VG-99, turns Alternate Tuning button on and off, so like I said, I will have to spend some time re-reading the manual to work out how that operates.

I also noticed that FloorBoard indicates Mod1 Phaser and Mod 2 Flanger are both turned On in both effects loops A and B, but when I hit the A FX button on the VG-99 and scrolled through the pages to find the MOD1 and MOD2 effect blocks, the VG-99 indicated they were turned Off.  VG-99 did show them as being Phaser and Flanger respectively, however.
**Edit**
I see the same thing re MOD1 and MOD2 showing as "On" on FloorBoard, but not On in the VG-99, when I selected Preset P-201, as an example.  When I turn the Mod effect On, on the VG-99, FloorBoard does not change.  Then turning Mod1 Off on VG-99, FloorBoard changes to Off, and correctly displays status thereafter.***End Edit***

I also noticed that now, when I press the A or B Poly FX button, the FloorBoard jumps between the two trees correctly, and the block turns on or off following the button press on the VG-99.  This wasn't working previously, so again my OCD mind is now happy.

And concerning my previous post, yes, I did go looking at the Assigns and worked out from there what you had done - very clever.  (Although I do think Assigns 8 and 9 are duplicated, but I don't think it makes any difference).

Thanks for the update, and I will do more work with the VG-99 to catch up.

Vaultnaemsae

So, I've been playing with this a bit the last few days again.

It's certainly easier to use than opening a VM and sending MIDI through a network to Windows with the original Roland editor but I still find that certain patches don't like to load from the USER list and sometimes the dreaded rainbow beachball appears (macOS).

It usually takes around 30-35 seconds to complete the initial SYSEX handshakes which seem really long - my MacBook reboots more quickly than this.

The CC assign issue has already been mentioned I think.

One useful feature request, and it might seem kinda dumb, would be VG-99 tuner accessibility from the editor as per the Roland editor.

Thanks for your hardwork, Gumtown/Colin.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

fokof

Hey Guys

In the Freeze in D-Beam , let's say I want freeze on channel A , where do I find that on this editor ?

gumtown

Quote from: fokof on August 20, 2021, 10:13:58 AM
Hey Guys

In the Freeze in D-Beam , let's say I want freeze on channel A , where do I find that on this editor ?

now...
getting back to the VG/VB series (after shuffling different hats over the past few weeks)

The VG-99 seems to have less control options compared to the VB-99,
so I will have to study the user manual to interpret the context in how it works.
And update the VB-99 editor.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Vaultnaemsae

I have a question on the VG-99 editors — both Colin's one and the original Roland one.

I setup my VG so it can connect to two Operating systems simultaneously on the same computer via a MIDI splitting device as an experiment.

On macOS Big Sur I have tested the VG-99FB and on the WIN 11 side I've been running the original editor.

When I use the VG-99FB I get many "Transmission messages" on the device's front panel and it's quite slow. Sometimes but rarely it even jams...MIDI overload?

This doesn't really happen with the original. The original (no driver present as WIN 11 on M1 cannot find a driver) does not present transmission messages on the VG display.

What's the difference? Why does the old editor not overrun the VG with display messages?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

gumtown

The transmission messages on the VG-99 display are present if the VG-99 is not currently running in "editor mode", this is when an editor starts up, it must take possession of the midi device port, then engage a handshake session with the VG-99, then extract patch names, system data, and the current patch data.
FloorBoard editor then sets the VG/VB into editor mode, and then you should not see any more VG lcd display messages after the first 30 seconds.
The Roland editor sets it to Editor Mode immediately on startup and then does some other undocumented voodoo magic before extracting the system and patch data.

The FloorBoard editor should be be running slow, if it is, generally because it is still awaiting for a data response from the VG-99.

With the VG-99 being in editor mode, either editor needs to fully shutdown to switch the VG-99 out of editor mode,
or else the VG-99 remains in editor mode until it is powered off or the USB cable is disconnected (off line).
If the VG-99 is still set in editor mode for some reason (switching between operating systems perhaps),
the FloorBoard editor is unable to initiate a startup handshake correctly,
as Roland have not documented where the address is to read that tells the editor which current mode it is in,
I will eventually find it and implement that into  the FloorBoard editor.
When the VG-99 is in "editor mode" there are many different mode levels the VG-99 is in, whether for regular play, GK level sense data feedback, 2 tuner modes, and others.   

So that is the nuts and bolts behind it.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fokof

Quote from: gumtown on August 30, 2021, 07:47:23 PM
now...
getting back to the VG/VB series (after shuffling different hats over the past few weeks)

The VG-99 seems to have less control options compared to the VB-99,
so I will have to study the user manual to interpret the context in how it works.
And update the VB-99 editor.

I checked the VG manual before asking that question , they are the same.

Manual page 79

ronjacob

I am not able to get the software to see the VG-99 over USB connection.
Software continues to Sy OFF-LINE.
The interesting thing is the old Roland Editor is still able to see the VG-99 and connect.
Are there any tips for what I might be able to do to connect over USB?

gumtown

Quote from: ronjacob on September 02, 2021, 09:13:12 PM
The interesting thing is the old Roland Editor is still able to see the VG-99 and connect.

Cancel out of that connection dialog popup,
and go into the menu TOOLS > PREFENCES > MIDI/USB and change the midi settings around a bit,
also enable "Auto Select VG-99" if you are using the Roland midi driver,
then hit OK, and the editor should restart and connect.

admin

Quote from: ronjacob on September 02, 2021, 09:13:12 PM

Be sure to completely shut down and close the official Roland VG-99 Editor and VG-99 Librarian, before launching Gumtowns VG-99 Floorboard Editor  - else Gumtowns app will never connect 

pasha811

Hi,

Your editors are great!

I have a couple of questions. The closest to a Linux Machine I have here is a Raspberry 4 / 8GB running UBUNTU for Arm. Any chance that this software be available or can be recompiled on such distribution?
-- it was in 2001 ... I compiled kernels and programs... then I stopped 2010... I hope I can resurrect some of that skill..
Moreover, are you planning an M1 compile in the future?

Thanks
Cheers
Paolo
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumtown

Quote from: pasha811 on October 24, 2021, 02:00:45 AM
Hi,

Your editors are great!

I have a couple of questions. The closest to a Linux Machine I have here is a Raspberry 4 / 8GB running UBUNTU for Arm. Any chance that this software be available or can be recompiled on such distribution?
-- it was in 2001 ... I compiled kernels and programs... then I stopped 2010... I hope I can resurrect some of that skill..
Moreover, are you planning an M1 compile in the future?

Thanks
Cheers
Paolo

I don't have any plans to compile for a Pi 4 / ARM Linux (would require buying the hardware to do so), but the source code is available for anyone who wishes to do so.
I hope to do an M1 version in the (near?) future so long as my daughter lets me borrow her M1 Mac.

pasha811

Quote from: gumtown on November 01, 2021, 01:55:36 PM
I don't have any plans to compile for a Pi 4 / ARM Linux (would require buying the hardware to do so), but the source code is available for anyone who wishes to do so.
I hope to do an M1 version in the (near?) future so long as my daughter lets me borrow her M1 Mac.

Thanks! You did an excellent job!
I will have to teach myself some stuff again..
The M1 version is far more important than the Rasperry 4 one so let's hope for that in the future. What I do not get is why Roland doesn't give away to open source its abandoned software so that it could have a second life.

Thanks so far! 8)

gumtown

The regular Mac intel version does work on an M1 running under Rosetta.

Nobulusprime

Just downloaded the VG99 floorboard editor, so much easier to visualise than the old one!

I'm running Catalina on my Macbook. I can see that the Roland USB drivers don't support this OS and people are using the Roland UM1 USB to Midi cable with success.

I have a Roland Rubix 22 audio interface that has USB to Midi in and out should that work? I'm just not getting any joy with it at the moment.

Thanks!

gumtown

Quote from: Nobulusprime on November 05, 2021, 12:47:47 AM
Just downloaded the VG99 floorboard editor, so much easier to visualise than the old one!

I'm running Catalina on my Macbook. I can see that the Roland USB drivers don't support this OS and people are using the Roland UM1 USB to Midi cable with success.

I have a Roland Rubix 22 audio interface that has USB to Midi in and out should that work? I'm just not getting any joy with it at the moment.

Thanks!

That should work, but if I recall, there is some fiddling to do with the VG-99 system midi settings.

admin

Quote from: gumtown on November 05, 2021, 02:31:50 AM
That should work, but if I recall, there is some fiddling to do with the VG-99 system midi settings.

I recall there was a VG-99 "DEVICE  ID" setting that must match

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19061.0
For "Device ID," select the same number as the "DEVICE ID" parameter on the VG-99 (SYSTEM -> MIDI -> DEVICE ID).

michaiel

I downloaded your latest version for Mac and while it will "load" the factory .mid files included with the application, I can only "load" a few of my .mid files I had created on the VG-99 originally.
I can open all of my .mid files on a pc running the original VG-99 editor.
I am running both applications without a VG-99.

Question is there anything I can do to get my presets to load on your editor or wait for a newer version?

I am running Big Sur 11.4

Thanks

mooncaine

TODAY I LEARNED:

When I use the latest VG-99Floorboard for Mac, installed today, and try to save bulk data to a file, I get a warning dialog about data corruption.

BUT:

If I change the application's preferences to indicate the same MIDI channel that my VG-99 is set to use (ie, not the default channel 1, in my case), then it seems I've resolved the issue. No error dialogs.

I haven't yet reloaded or tested the entire bulk file (I've no plans to do that).

Hope this helps!

cipherhost

Wow! Just installed Gumtown's VG-99FloorBoard editor on my old iMac. What a pleasant experience! Fills my screen and provides the layout in such a clear manner. AWESOME!

Many Thanks Kind Sir!

paganskins

Hello @gumtown and Happy New Year!

I've been trying your VG99 editor with my M1 MacBook with varying success.

I'm hooked up via midi in and out on the VG99 via a PreSonus Audiobox 96 as a midi interface.

I can connect and messages are going from the editor to the device, ie anything I adjust in the editor is applied to the device but traffic doesn't seem to be coming back to the editor.

When I connect I get the following error message after the editor has tried to retrieve info from the device:

Patch data transfer wrong size or data error
Please make sure the VG-99 is connected correctly and re-try.

I've tried different midi cables and had a root through the midi settings on the VG99 and everything looks in order – channel 7 id 1.

Any suggestions on how I can remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.

pasha811

Hello Gumtown and Happy 2023!

I have connected VG99 via Beringher UMC204HD with a 'twist'.
VG99 OUT to JV1010 IN
JV1010 THRU to UMC204HD IN
UMC204HD OUT to VG99 IN

VG99 MIDI Channel = 7 and Device ID = 1

This configuration works fine with iMac 2013 and 10.14 (no USB Cable involved) and I can use Librarian and Editor.
However with M1 Mac I receive strange errors as :

Patch data transfer wrong size or data error
Please make sure the VG-99 is connected correctly and re-try.

The GUI does not populate with VG99 Data but when I click on a patch in the left tree VG99 reacts and switches to that patch (which in the GUI has a null name)

Is passing through two devices wrong?
The Audio Card Manual tells that MIDI OUT acts as a MIDI Thru if I remember correctly)

Thanks
Pasha

paganskins

Sounds like @pasha811 and I are experiencing exactly the same thing with our M1 Macs.

Bit more info on my experiences, I tried using my old (10yr +) MacBook and experienced the same issues via the PreSonus interface using midi so that may be part of the problem. Once I've rebuilt my rack I'll try again using my big iConnectivity interface.

I've also got a blokas midi hub I can try but that's currently buried deep inside the pedal board that needs dismantling to populate the above rack.

The old MacBook ran the editor happily and without issue via usb and has the Roland editor and driver installed.

gumtown

Not sure what is up with the M1 Mac's
If the VG-99 editor is not receiving system exclusive midi data back from the VG-99,
 then the USB-midi device needs to be checked if it is fully supported by the M1 mac for passing system exclusive data.

I don't recommend chaining midi devices, as that could introduce communication problems, if you can imagine, the editor uses a continuous stream of data to & from the VG-99, and any device in between can break long data streams.

Maybe a midi/sysx monitor program that can read incoming data will determine the M1 compatibility of the USB-Midi device, loopback the 5 pin DIN plugs, or try the JV-1010 in line/thru, and send system exclusive data from the midi monitor, it should receive the same data back to the midi monitor.

for Mac OS, try this one
https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

Cheers  :)

pasha811

Quote from: gumtown on January 11, 2023, 04:24:28 AMNot sure what is up with the M1 Mac's
If the VG-99 editor is not receiving system exclusive midi data back from the VG-99,
 then the USB-midi device needs to be checked if it is fully supported by the M1 mac for passing system exclusive data.

I don't recommend chaining midi devices, as that could introduce communication problems, if you can imagine, the editor uses a continuous stream of data to & from the VG-99, and any device in between can break long data streams.

Maybe a midi/sysx monitor program that can read incoming data will determine the M1 compatibility of the USB-Midi device, loopback the 5 pin DIN plugs, or try the JV-1010 in line/thru, and send system exclusive data from the midi monitor, it should receive the same data back to the midi monitor.

for Mac OS, try this one
https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

Cheers  :)

Thanks Gumtown! I will try with less devices in between. I have a Roland UM-ONE MKII.
I will report success or no success