Godin Multiac E string Volume

Started by muzogitar, April 01, 2021, 11:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muzogitar

Hi everyone . I have the problem with my Godin Multiac . E string volume is lower than others . I send mail to Godin they said clean with isopropyl alchol. I did but after 10 minutes its gone again. I search it but i didnt understand solition. If anyone help me i will be very pleasure .

admin

Quote from: muzogitar on April 01, 2021, 11:19:53 AM
Hi everyone . I have the problem with my Godin Multiac . E string volume is lower than others . I send mail to Godin they said clean with isopropyl alchol. I did but after 10 minutes its gone again. I search it but i didnt understand solition. If anyone help me i will be very pleasure .

Godin used to replace a defective RMC Piezo saddles

Could contact RMC pickups , but they will charge you for a replacement saddle and link to an installer who will charge you labor

I'd make a brief YouTube video and email it to Godin support -and get them to cover the repair.

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

RMC Pickups
http://www.rmcpickup.com/
info@rmcmusic.com

RMC Pickup Co.
1739 Addison #15
Berkeley CA 94703

muzogitar

I live in Turkey and it is really expensive to buy new RMC piezo. I read someone had this problem but i didnt understand solition .

admin

Isopropyl alchohol for 10 minutes will makes thing worse as off the shelf example bottles  are high percentage water

Loosen all strings- After applying alcohol, 
You must thoroughly dry the piezo saddle -protect the guitar top from heat with aluminum foil and aim a hot air dryer at piezo bridge for 20 minutes -not too hot else the glue for bridge will become loose.

Then wait 24 hours and retest the guitar.

Its a 50/50 chance any of the above will fix the problem- only on guitars which were confirmed to be working when new

If guitar is new -occasionally Godin let's a defective piezo out the door, and should have local distributor cover the repair

muzogitar

muzogitar

You mean just heat this one after isopropyl alchol?

admin

muzogitar

After cleaning with alchol sound come back . But after 10 minutes its gone . I think alchol helps to transmit after alchol dry it stop . Are you sure heat will fix this ?

admin

Quote from: muzogitar on April 01, 2021, 11:43:44 AM
After cleaning with alchol sound come back . But after 10 minutes its gone . I think alchol helps to transmit after alchol dry it stop . Are you sure heat will fix this ?

Being Dry fixes it

Dalai_llama

Years ago I was given the following instructions by RMC:

"In order to clean the saddles, you can remove them from the instrument
and soak them in a 50:50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and isopropyl
alcohol (available in first aid section of most drugstores/pharmacies)
for about 10 minutes with mild agitation, then pat dry and let them dry
overnight before re-installing them in the instrument.
It may also be good to gently blow some air in the saddles to remove
any debris or other internal contamination prior to soaking the saddles.

I suggest you try those steps, as they worked wonderfully for me. My saddles were looking as worn as yours in the picture. I had to fully remove them from the instrument though, so if you need to do that you must be comfortable with the soldering process.

Please note the "gently blow some air" bit. DO NOT throw an overheated tornado into your saddle. DO NOT attempt to fully dry it in 2 minutes. I wholeheartedly recommend the 24-hour drying process.

muzogitar

I did it now . Just waiting for tomorrow 😕

lespauled

RMC pickups are waaaaaay too temperamental.  I loved my Godins, but absolutely hated the RMC pickups, and how they would change day to day.  One day, they're perfect, the next, I'd have this exact problem.   I eventually had no choice but to sell my Godins, and go back to a Roland Ready Strat.  It was just unbearable after a while.   I hope you have better luck.

Dalai_llama

Quote from: muzogitar
I did it now . Just waiting for tomorrow 😕

Good luck there, muzogitar. If replacements are needed, I am sure there is a distributor in Europe that can offer saddles at a decent price. RMC sells them by the unit, so you shouldn't have to buy the entire kit (though that's always a good idea).

The reason why Richard McClish recommends hydrogen peroxide along with isopropyl alcohol is precisely because the former reacts with catalase, an enzyme that exists in blood cells and bacteria. The uric acid and urea (which are part of your sweat, albeit minimal) react with HP and as a consequence it "boils", that is, it release the extra oxygen that is has (HP is H2O2). In this process, they kill the bacteria that exists there, hence why HP is used in bruises before applying other chemicals. So this combination is far more effective than simply cleaning with alcohol.

I have to say that my experience with RMC has been stellar. Richard McClish has always been great help (including with selling spare parts). In 99% of the cases, the very sudden drop in signal from a given saddle is the direct result of some impact that damages the piezo element or an event of extreme humidity (such as playing live in a very closed environment, when a musician sweats more than usual). I have installed RMCs for myself and others both in electric and acoustic guitars. In 17 years, not a single one failed. Given proper care -- impact protection, de-humidification, and cleaning when it's too greasy/dirty -- they last very long and, after 20 years, may lose just about 1-2% of their sensitivity, which is the same as the magnetic coils in GK pickups.

I once had a Godin LGXT owner come to me and curse RMC because the D and G saddles in guitar had failed within one year of purchasing new. I went to investigate and we've found that the guitar had been rattling inside of its hard case and those saddles were constantly hitting the top -- especially because he transported his guitar in the boot. In another event, a nylon guitar owner was having repeated issues with the low E and sometimes the A saddle. I replaced the whole set but upon disassembling the older ones, it became clear that fluid had corroded the cable connection and the piezo element was all dirty. Examining the top of his guitar made it clear that his sweat was intense - even the varnish at the top of the bridge was badly worn. Finally, a Brian Moore user had a failed low E and the diagnosis was the same: his bridge was badly discoloured as the result of intense sweating and poor cleaning habits.

Over the years I have also detected that people in coastal areas suffer more with RMC failures. In such areas, humidity control and more frequent cleaning are always required.

Whereas I am not saying that bad things don't happen and that @lespauled frustration is not real, in my experience as a technician I've found that human factors were behind failures nearly 100% of the time. It's not anyone's fault and I am not blaming anyone for that, RMC piezos are indeed sensitive material, but I have a guitar in which I myself installed it in 2004 and they run as strong as when new; my other guitar has had them since 2008, ditto. I own and play 5 instruments with RMCs, not one has failed over a 20-year period.

BTW, these issues also affect LR Baggs and Fishman piezo saddles. Graphtec saddles are a little less affected by humidity (but sadly they get worn out faster than the rest).

Good luck.