AX 100 MK II Volume control from guitar

Started by Flow, March 25, 2021, 09:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flow

Hi everyone.

After having searched and tried tons of things, having my guitar checked by my dealer as well, and still finding no solution despite thinking I must be too dumb to find the solution, I am coming here hoping that someone might point me into the right direction.

My setup:
- Axon AX 100 MK II
- Godin LGX SA

My problem:
Actually, everything works perfectly fine except for one thing: The Godin has a seperate MIDI volume poti, and it works on other converters (my dealer testet that), but it has absolutely no bearing on the Axon. Now, in the Axon global settings for the guitar, there is the option WHEELCNTRL which, as I understand the manual, is there to say whether my guitar has a poti or not. Logically speaking, I should set this to ON and then it should work. However, when I do that, the Axon does not produce any sound anymore at all despite showing on the display that it gets all signals from the guitar. If I set it to OFF then all works again but volume is fixed and does not react to the volume control on the guitar.

What else can I try? Is there some other setting that I have to change in order to be able to change the MIDI volume? I want to use the Axon live and of course want to be able to adjust volume while playing.

Thanks to anyone who will try to help me on this.

Shingles

If the synth volume control on your guitar works with other converters, with your own cable, then this must be a fault in the Axon. It should work as you describe.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

AlakaLazlo

I use an AX50 which doesn't program on the unit, but by way of a software editor. I've not worked with an AX100, but my understanding is that you can make the setting selections on the face of the unit, but that it's not the best interface. The guitar to midi guts are the same, but the 100 has built in audio generation that the 50 doesn't have. If you don't have the latest editor (Version 3.1.10 for firmware 7.12 or higher) you should find a copy on-line and use it.  Will save you hours...  FYI, my Godin ACS works fine with my Axon including midi volume. 

I'm not in front of my system right now to double check everything, but I suspect your problem is that the Axon is set to recieve the knob controller on your guitar as something other than volume, and/or that the volume controller out is set to 0. If the AX100 was turned off the last time it was used with volume set at 0, it will remember that, and keep sending CC7 at 0 on that preset until it receives a new input for midi volume from the appropriate controller.

The "wheel controller pickup" setting needs to be set to Channel Volume (which sends CC7). Next, you have to set the Controller Output Range to 0-127 (full on) so it can send the full range when that preset is selected. The wheel controller settings are stored as part of the unit's presets. (So on one preset, the knob can be volume, and on anther, it can be VCF cutoff, etc.)

Go to the preset you are using, set your wheel controller to channel volume and once connected to a synth (on the correct midi channel), turn it up as you play. 

If the Godin is changing volume on other interfaces, that is very likely the problem. The Axon needs to be set to recieve the volume control from the guitar and output midi volume (CC 7) a channel that your daw or synth is set to recieve.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

arkieboy

Have you tried a factory reset of the Axon unit?

I haven't turned my Axon (AX100 mk2) on for a while, but if I remember correctly you can reassign or disable the controls on the guitar from the unit.  I think I did because it didn't scale according to the patch - if you set the synth volume of in your patch parameters, the volume sent out when you changed the midi volume on the guitar overrides this.  I used to layer several synths and it would spoil my carefully balanced sounds.

Shingles - is this the case?
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Shingles

Quote from: arkieboy on March 25, 2021, 05:13:21 PM
Have you tried a factory reset of the Axon unit?

I haven't turned my Axon (AX100 mk2) on for a while, but if I remember correctly you can reassign or disable the controls on the guitar from the unit.  I think I did because it didn't scale according to the patch - if you set the synth volume of in your patch parameters, the volume sent out when you changed the midi volume on the guitar overrides this.  I used to layer several synths and it would spoil my carefully balanced sounds.

Shingles - is this the case?

That I don't remember- sorry. I never wanted the knob on the guitar or pickup to do anything but Volume, and I think it is set up as volume on all the factory patches.
And unfortunately I'm not likely to get in front of my Axon for several weeks.
Nik

arkieboy

Quote from: Shingles on March 26, 2021, 01:51:44 AM
I think it is set up as volume on all the factory patches.

The AX50 didn't have a sound card, so I'm not sure what passes for factory patches ...

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Shingles

Quote from: arkieboy on March 26, 2021, 02:58:27 AM

The AX50 didn't have a sound card, so I'm not sure what passes for factory patches ...

I can only speak for the AX100.
I have an AX50 somewhere but I've never used it.
Nik

Flow

Quote from: AlakaLazlo on March 25, 2021, 01:52:33 PM
The "wheel controller pickup" setting needs to be set to Channel Volume (which sends CC7). Next, you have to set the Controller Output Range to 0-127 (full on) so it can send the full range when that preset is selected. The wheel controller settings are stored as part of the unit's presets. (So on one preset, the knob can be volume, and on anther, it can be VCF cutoff, etc.)

Go to the preset you are using, set your wheel controller to channel volume and once connected to a synth (on the correct midi channel), turn it up as you play. 

Hi again, thank you all so far for your replies. I was too busy to try this in the past few weeks so I only got around to it today. So, I checked. The Wheel Controller ist set to Channel Volume on pretty much all presets, so that should be fine. I can't find where to check the Controller Output Range, maybe you can help me there?

I have the AXON editor 3.1.10, but my AX 100 is version 5.32. I am now in the process up updating the firmware and hope that after that, it will have vanished or I can find the control that is responsible.

AlakaLazlo

Quote from: Flow on April 14, 2021, 07:31:14 AM
Hi again, thank you all so far for your replies. I was too busy to try this in the past few weeks so I only got around to it today. So, I checked. The Wheel Controller ist set to Channel Volume on pretty much all presets, so that should be fine. I can't find where to check the Controller Output Range, maybe you can help me there?

I have the AXON editor 3.1.10, but my AX 100 is version 5.32. I am now in the process up updating the firmware and hope that after that, it will have vanished or I can find the control that is responsible.

The Axon firmware and editor versions should not make any difference. The editor version 3.1.10 was the last version they released and should work. For ease of the next instructions, please set your Axon internal sound card/DAW channel/VSTi to all send/recieve midi channel 1. Again, I have an AX50 so I'm not familiar with the AX100's internal sound card and its settings. You are on your own there...

1)  Open the editor while connected to the Axon. It can do so over USB or DIN midi cables. Set the MIDI Channels basic channel (upper left) to 1 so it sends and receives on channel 1 which is what your Axon and DAW should now be set to. Click the "Connect" button in the lower left to connect the computer/editor to the Axon. You may need to set the PC Midi I/O boxes to the proper settings. It will turn blue when connected. If you can't get the Connect button to light (and the text below it to say Connected to [Axon model][Connection type][Firmware Version], then you need to figure out why your computer/editor isn't talking to the Axon. Once completed;

2)  The upper right setting on the Global page has a button labeled Wheelcontroller. It lights up blue when active. If it isn't set to recieve Wheelcontroller from the guitar, whatever you designate in the preset will have no effect. If it isn't blue, click it. (That may solve your problem!  If not, once it's on;

3)  On the (next) Presets page, on the left hand side, there is a setting for Wheel Controller Pickup. This allows you to select what the guitar's volume controller will actually control for that preset (so if you want it to control filter cut-off, you ascertain what CC# your Axon expects to recieve for cut-off and set the preset for that CC #) Click the window and from the drop down menu, select Channel Volume (which is actually standard midi CC#7). That may solve your problem! If not, once that is done;

4)  Go to the middle section under Controller. This section controls what the Avon converter sends out, either to (I assume) its internal sound engine or to an external sound module, DAW, etc. Click the one that says "Volume" so it is llt in Blue. (If it isn't lit, the Axon will recognize the controller info as CC#7 (from step 3 above), but won't send it out to the sound source.) Once it is lit, the slider to its right controls the range. If you want the full range (complete off to full on) set it to 127.

It should now function as expected. If not, then I assume that either the internal card isn't set to recieve CC#7 as volume, or either the guitar or the Axon needs repair.

5) If you have a midi monitor (like MidiOX), you can send the Axon out to a midi channel selected in the monitor, (or in a DAW, insert a midi monitor plug-in on the midi channel receiving from the Axon), turn the volume knob on the guitar, and you should see a stream of midi data on CC#7. If it doesn't, the guitar may be the issue. Plug the guitar into another guitar>midi converter, set its routing as I suggested above, and see if it works. If not, it's probably the guitar that needs repair. If you see the midi stream on CC#7 or if the guitar works on a different controller, it may be the internal sound card on the Axon isn't set properly, but the next step is;

6)  Plug the midi out of the Axon (set to the correct channel!) to a different sound source (a synth or VSTi in your DAW.)  Make certain the sound source is set to recieve Midi channel 1 and Midi CC#7 as volume. If the volume knob now works, the problem is very likely the Axon sound card settings or the Axon needs repair.

Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

Dalai_llama

Hi everyone,

Both the AX50 and AX100 had the pot set to send CC#7 in all presets. Back then Philippe Guse (who was in charge of Terratec's Axons) explained that it was the most straightforward function and it was sent through to external modules, so it made sense to have the AX50 behave that way in spite of not having internal sounds.

But it can be set to send other CC messages. I myself had a preset whereby it moved the frequency of a filter -- it was a handy wah-wah (pun not intended).

Going from 5.32 to 7.28 is quite a jump, but the Axon *should* be able to handle that. Since it's hard to find any intermediate editors+firmware, I'm afraid you'll have to try it. I would suggest a PC running Windows 7 if you have one available. Do NOT try that from a Mac, unless you can get hold of one from circa 2009/2010 with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Also, use a good midi-to-usb device. Some of the cheaper ones were known to cause problems.

I can't find where to check the Controller Output Range, maybe you can help me there?

I don't have my Axon with me and won't see it until at least December...  :'(
But my recollection is that it went from being a General Setting to being a patch setting some time before the launch of the AX50.

You can set it the way AlakaLazio describes. I always used the editor so I'm lost as to how that's done without it.

Depending on which softwynth or DAW you use, it's probably easy to test your knob this way:

1. Connect the Axon and make sure notes are being sent from it into the synth;
2. Map whatever button on your softsynth to the knob on your guitar;
3. Move it and see if it moves the knob on your screen.

(With Ableton Live that takes a minute and you can use the Trial version if you don't own it.)

The MidiOx (Win) or MidiMonitor (Mac) option is also doable. You should see CC7 messages going up and down in value as you move your knob.

Good luck!

(BTW Nik, if you some day decide to sell your AX50, send me a message.)

Flow

Hmm, it seems my attempt to update broke it. After several attempts running into "error detected" it finally went through once with the loading part but then got stuck on "deleting flash" for hours. this morning, since nothing had changed overnight, I switched it off and now it is stuck in the firmware update mode but does not seem to receive it when I try to upload it again, so I am now stuck there.

Does anyone know how to get out of this one?

Dalai_llama

Flow,

The only thing that comes to mind is a factory reset: press and hold the PRESET and EXIT buttons while powering up the device.

Like I said in my earlier post, there is always some danger to updating from versions too far apart from each other. Even the current Fishman Triple Play has issues if you go from a very old firmware to the latest one. You have to do 'stepped' updates (but like I said before, intermediate Axon firmwares might be impossible to find. Perhaps the Internet Archive could be the solution, but I haven't tried that.)

If I'm not mistaken Terratec ones use the a 29LV160 is flash memory, which might be available still from Digikey and others. They are available on Germany's eBay:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=29LV160+flash+memory&_sacat=0

I believe in either Germany and UK there might be someone able to service this machine. When Blue Chip discontinued the original Axon, they commissioned WERSI to service them. It was a slightly different machine than the Terratec Axon (mainly due to the latter using Flash memories instead of EPROMS), but they might have someone to point you to. As a last resource you can try writing Andras Szalay at his company Panda: pandamidi.elektromedia@gmail.com (he used to write on this forum but has been long absent).

Also, read these posts for some tips:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8758.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25350.0

Good luck, hope you get it going.

PS> If you need to test your guitar 'wheel controller' output (and not the potentiometer itself), you can do that by measuring resistance between pin 8 and the shield of the 13-pin connector on you guitar jack. Moving the knob should make resistance readings go up and down.

Flow

I tried it from my windows 10 PC.

I also tried factory reset several times. Once before the update that finally ran through the loading part and several times after, but that does not change anything anymore. It now always goes to update mode telling me to start the editor and upload the file, even when I switch it on normally. When I do that, the Editor seems to work and send and goes through the process, but the Axon does not react at all. I guess I will now really have to search for someone who can service it.

I don't think that the flash memory is broken, I guess that the content was deleted partially which is now the reason for it not working at all. I guess I shot myself in the foot there.   :-\

Dalai_llama

Sorry to hear that, Flow.

There was one feature on the latest editor that would allow you to choose Mode A or B for the midi connection. If I recall correctly, Mode B was slower and safer. If you can boot you Axon into update mode and connect it using Mode B, you might be able to bring it back. I'd strongly recommend Win XP with Service Pack 3, if you're able to get it going. You may try a virtual machine (even if your computer is 64-bit) and run it from there.

The reason I mentioned the flash memory is: if someone remotely is able to flash a working firmware and send it to you, you can just swap chips. They are soldered to the board so there are risks here as well.

Good luck.

Flow

Hi again. I managed to reestablish the connection, so the Axon is reacting again. Now I am in a loop of trying the update until hopefully it works. I guess the earlier hint that some USB to MIDI interface can also cause problems could be the issue here, so I ordered a better one but will keep trying with this one until I get the new interface.

Yes, there are 2 update options. The editor asks whether I want the slow update. This is the one that I try most of the time because the regular process results in errors within the first minute.

So, I am able to start the loading process but also the progress bars on editor and Axon are totally out of sync. I hope that a better interface will provide help. So I guess I will come back here again sometime next week with results or maybe further questions.

Thank you all so far for really quick and helpful replies.

Dalai_llama

If I may suggest something, don't keep trying until you get the new USB interface. There's a risk you might brick your Axon completely. When you have it with you, then try again. At this point, waiting a few more days for the new interface hurts less than trashing your Axon.

DO use the slow connection and, if at all possible, investigate the possibility of using an older Windows version.

Flow

Hello again. I am finally back. Thank you for the hint about the MIDI interface, once I had received the new one, I was finally able to update the firmware successfully and am now back to where I started with a working AX100 but still the same problem. One improvement however is that I do not get sysx errors displayed in the editor when connecting, so there is definitely some advantage now.

So, with that, I have tried going through this step by step:

Quote from: AlakaLazlo on April 14, 2021, 10:44:15 AM
The Axon firmware and editor versions should not make any difference. The editor version 3.1.10 was the last version they released and should work. For ease of the next instructions, please set your Axon internal sound card/DAW channel/VSTi to all send/recieve midi channel 1. Again, I have an AX50 so I'm not familiar with the AX100's internal sound card and its settings. You are on your own there...

1)  Open the editor while connected to the Axon. It can do so over USB or DIN midi cables. Set the MIDI Channels basic channel (upper left) to 1 so it sends and receives on channel 1 which is what your Axon and DAW should now be set to. Click the "Connect" button in the lower left to connect the computer/editor to the Axon. You may need to set the PC Midi I/O boxes to the proper settings. It will turn blue when connected. If you can't get the Connect button to light (and the text below it to say Connected to [Axon model][Connection type][Firmware Version], then you need to figure out why your computer/editor isn't talking to the Axon. Once completed;

Check

2)  The upper right setting on the Global page has a button labeled Wheelcontroller. It lights up blue when active. If it isn't set to recieve Wheelcontroller from the guitar, whatever you designate in the preset will have no effect. If it isn't blue, click it. (That may solve your problem!  If not, once it's on;

Does not solve the problem. The moment I activate the wheelcontrol, there is no output anymore from the Axon soundboard at all and also still no change when using the wheelcontroller.

3)  On the (next) Presets page, on the left hand side, there is a setting for Wheel Controller Pickup. This allows you to select what the guitar's volume controller will actually control for that preset (so if you want it to control filter cut-off, you ascertain what CC# your Axon expects to recieve for cut-off and set the preset for that CC #) Click the window and from the drop down menu, select Channel Volume (which is actually standard midi CC#7). That may solve your problem! If not, once that is done;

All set correctly

4)  Go to the middle section under Controller. This section controls what the Avon converter sends out, either to (I assume) its internal sound engine or to an external sound module, DAW, etc. Click the one that says "Volume" so it is llt in Blue. (If it isn't lit, the Axon will recognize the controller info as CC#7 (from step 3 above), but won't send it out to the sound source.) Once it is lit, the slider to its right controls the range. If you want the full range (complete off to full on) set it to 127.

All set correctly

It should now function as expected. If not, then I assume that either the internal card isn't set to recieve CC#7 as volume, or either the guitar or the Axon needs repair.

5) If you have a midi monitor (like MidiOX), you can send the Axon out to a midi channel selected in the monitor, (or in a DAW, insert a midi monitor plug-in on the midi channel receiving from the Axon), turn the volume knob on the guitar, and you should see a stream of midi data on CC#7. If it doesn't, the guitar may be the issue. Plug the guitar into another guitar>midi converter, set its routing as I suggested above, and see if it works. If not, it's probably the guitar that needs repair. If you see the midi stream on CC#7 or if the guitar works on a different controller, it may be the internal sound card on the Axon isn't set properly, but the next step is;

I checked with MidiOX. That was interesting. It seems that the moment I activate Wheelcontrol, Volume is set to 0, and as soon as I switch it off, it is set back to 7F (see screenshot). Anyone has an idea why this happens?

I don't have another converter to test the guitar myself, but my dealer checked that for me and said that it works with another converter, so I trust that the guitar works and it must be a setting in the Axon.

6)  Plug the midi out of the Axon (set to the correct channel!) to a different sound source (a synth or VSTi in your DAW.)  Make certain the sound source is set to recieve Midi channel 1 and Midi CC#7 as volume. If the volume knob now works, the problem is very likely the Axon sound card settings or the Axon needs repair.

I skipped this because I already saw what gets through on MidiOX.

Shingles

What if you keep the wheel control on the guitar set half way? And only move it a small amount either above or below the half-way position?
I am suggesting this as a test, not as a long term solution.

Nik

Dalai_llama

Flow,

Your MidiOx screen tells you what's happening: if you get sounds from the board with wheelcontroller OFF and when you activate it -- as your image shows -- it goes to zero, then the Axon patch is reading a value of 0 for CC7 (volume) messages from somewhere within the Axon settings. Other than what @Alakazio suggested, look into:

a. Whether your PRESET is set to guitar GLOBAL or a specific guitar. GLOBAL may not have wheelcontroller available (don't remember right now.);
b. if in your PRESET your HOLD CONTROL is set to mute/dampen your instrument;
c. if in your PRESET there is a ZONE or SPLIT that is muting the sound (and if you're playing in any of those);
d. if in your PRESET any of the expression pedals is set to control volume (and, if none is connected, it will acquire whatever default value is set on the DEFAULT CC tab in the editor).

If none of the above works -- assuming that you're also going through other presets that might be set up differently, then I am inclined to think you have an issue with  your guitar or your cable, especially if your dealer tested it with a different 13-pin cable than the one you use at home.

The quickest test to look into that is as follows:

Preamble: remove any hold and expression pedals, use a PRESET that is set to a specific guitar (not GLOBAL), disable both expression pedals within the PRESET, make sure HOLD MODE is not LAYER, make sure whatever layer you are using has the MIDI PORT out set properly, and make sure that guitar has wheelcontroller enabled.

1. In PRESET > WHEEL CONTROLLER > PICKUP, select other parameter, such as "Balance" or CC9.
2. Leave your wheel control halfway, as @Shingles suggested;
3. Connect your Axon to the computer and run MidiOX;
4. Move the knob. MidiOX must show midi values going up and down. For 'balance' I assume the default CC would have been 64.

If you see no action in MidiOx, then you most certainly have a hardware issue. From simple to complex:

1. Your 13-pin cable has a severed connection for pin #8;
2. The potentiometer is not working properly (this has to be tested with a multimeter);
3. The preamp board has a faulty connection on pin #8;
4. The Axon has a faulty connection somewhere between the 13-pin jack, also on pin #8.

Of all these, number 1 is more likely.

HTH.

admin

Flow

Quote from: Dalai_llama on April 30, 2021, 01:49:51 PM
Flow,

Your MidiOx screen tells you what's happening: if you get sounds from the board with wheelcontroller OFF and when you activate it -- as your image shows -- it goes to zero, then the Axon patch is reading a value of 0 for CC7 (volume) messages from somewhere within the Axon settings. Other than what @Alakazio suggested, look into:

a. Whether your PRESET is set to guitar GLOBAL or a specific guitar. GLOBAL may not have wheelcontroller available (don't remember right now.);
b. if in your PRESET your HOLD CONTROL is set to mute/dampen your instrument;
c. if in your PRESET there is a ZONE or SPLIT that is muting the sound (and if you're playing in any of those);
d. if in your PRESET any of the expression pedals is set to control volume (and, if none is connected, it will acquire whatever default value is set on the DEFAULT CC tab in the editor).

If none of the above works -- assuming that you're also going through other presets that might be set up differently, then I am inclined to think you have an issue with  your guitar or your cable, especially if your dealer tested it with a different 13-pin cable than the one you use at home.

I checked those points. The only deviation I found was that it was indeed set to Guitar No Global, but under GLOBAL, the global guitar was set to no 1, so I guess this did not change anything. Other than that, nothing was set as you described. During my search, I did several factory resets, and the problem did not change. It is also the same with every preset I try. I am not sure which cable the dealer tried, I had also given him my calbe but I do not know whether he used it. I will ask.

See the screenshot I attached for my Presets tab in the editor, maybe you see something else I could try.

Quote from: Dalai_llama on April 30, 2021, 01:49:51 PM
The quickest test to look into that is as follows:

Preamble: remove any hold and expression pedals, use a PRESET that is set to a specific guitar (not GLOBAL), disable both expression pedals within the PRESET, make sure HOLD MODE is not LAYER, make sure whatever layer you are using has the MIDI PORT out set properly, and make sure that guitar has wheelcontroller enabled.

1. In PRESET > WHEEL CONTROLLER > PICKUP, select other parameter, such as "Balance" or CC9.
2. Leave your wheel control halfway, as @Shingles suggested;
3. Connect your Axon to the computer and run MidiOX;
4. Move the knob. MidiOX must show midi values going up and down. For 'balance' I assume the default CC would have been 64.

If you see no action in MidiOx, then you most certainly have a hardware issue. From simple to complex:

1. Your 13-pin cable has a severed connection for pin #8;
2. The potentiometer is not working properly (this has to be tested with a multimeter);
3. The preamp board has a faulty connection on pin #8;
4. The Axon has a faulty connection somewhere between the 13-pin jack, also on pin #8.

Of all these, number 1 is more likely.

HTH.

I followed this and do also not read any changes in other parameters set in the Wheel Controller setting, but indeed, when it is not set to volume, there is sound. Now, if it came from the guitar, when it was on sound, it went to 0. So when I tried balance, it should then go full left I would expect. That it does not do. Balance stays as with wheel control off and does not react either.

So maybe it is the cable, I will check on that, probably get a new one and try.

Dalai_llama

It looks more and more likely that you have a hardware fault:

a. If after a factory reset (CRUCIAL) that behaviour remains, that would be quite a compelling argument in that direction;
b. If following that test from my earlier post doesn't make your midi monitoring show any readings, that is very telling: the controller is not outputting any midi messages;
c. If a default value set for BALANCE within DEFAULT CC is the one that MidiOX reads after you set it, then same as b above.

To be very scientific here, before tearing anything open you'd need to:

1. Plug another guitar into your Axon with your cable and see if that happens.
2. Use your guitar and Axon with a different cable.
3. Measure the resistance between pin #8 and the shield of your guitar 13-pin output (to see if it's the preamp board that is faulty.
4. Measure the resistance on the potentiometer itself.

if none of the above produced any error, it would be the extremely rare case that your Axon has some connection fault inside, but I would not bet on that.

I sadly don't have my Axon with me so I can't think of anything else Preset-wise that would create that problem. I see your HOLD CONTROL is set to MODULATION WHEEL. If there's a pedal connected and it's pressed (or if its polarity is reverse to what the Axon uses), then it might be silencing your soundboard. The only thing i can think is to change  HOLD MODE from CONTROL to something else. But, again, a hardware failure is more likely.

Good luck.

admin

Here is a link to AXON Internal memory backup Battery replacement ( likely issue in 2021 )
http://web.archive.org/web/20151002144859/http://me.ineptum.home.comcast.net/~me.ineptum/ax-100/battery/

FWIW - Repair of Axon AX100
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15987.0

https://edinburghhacklab.com/2015/03/axon-ax-100-repair-pt1/

gearhound22

What type of piezos are on the godin?

Doesn't have anything to do with this mod?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6449.0