Nextone vs. GA-series amps

Started by tms13pin, December 16, 2020, 06:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tms13pin

Anybody play the Nextone amps?  Look like a re-packaging of the GA-series amps and the GA's never really took off.  I have a GA-112 and I quite like it, actually, but I'm probably in the minority.  Wonder what, if anything, is really different about the Nextone.  My GA is really heavy for a SS amp though.  My VGA-7 was a beast too when I had it.  Totally different animal than the GA though.  I like the GA tone much better than the VGA-7.  I never could dial in things that I really liked in the VGA, even using the 13-pin.  Seems like a "light" VG-88 to me.

I've also got one of the Blues Cubes (60, 1x12) from the 90's and those are pretty good 'sleeper' solid state amps.

--Tom

ABadOperator

Sorry for such a late reply, but I hope my opinion is still helpful to somebody.

I bought the 80 watt Nextone Artist used early 2020 and I fully intend on keeping it even after I purchase a Synergy system (I'm still deciding on the exact configuration.) I think it's a great combo amp but the only separating features are the power amp switching and the ability to fine tune response and EQ with its respective software.

Let's say hypothetically I were looking to upgrade from a GA-112 to a Nextone Artist or Stage, I'd probably stay with the GA. It would be versatile enough for my needs. The Nextone Special is the only one out of the series I'd consider, but it weighs 40lbs and at $899 USD there are so many great combos in that price range.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Nextone, but I absolutely get why they're not all that popular like the GA-series.

Edit: Removed mention of specific combo amps since I'm not 100% sure I'd buy them over a Nextone Special.
I've got a lot to learn.