SonicSmith-Converter E1 & MIDVertor E1

Started by admin, December 15, 2020, 10:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/sonicsmith-convertor-e1-strips-your-guitar-down-to-the-important-bits-for-eurorack/

Sonicsmith ConVertor E1 strips your guitar down to the important bits for Eurorack
Approximate reading time: 2 Minutes

Plug your guitar in the ConVertor E1 module and pull out Pitch, Envelope and a Synth sound to mess with your Eurorack modular.

ConVertor E1
Sonicsmith has been messing around with instrument-to-synth conversion for some time with their audio controlled synthesizer boxes. With the ConVertor E1 they've reworked all the technology and poured it directly into the Eurorack space.

First off the ConVertor E1 will pitch-track the audio input and output a synth sound from an internal digitally controlled oscillator (DCO) with a choice of 4 waveforms. At the same time, it will extract the pitch, gate and envelope and output them as voltages for controlling other modules in your rack. There's also an input for 1v/oct tracking of the DCO and a bit of FM.

You plug your guitar, instrument or microphone into the bottom of the module and adjust the preamp accordingly. You have a preamp output to route your audio back out and into other things.

Sonicsmith ConVertor E1
Sonicsmith ConVertor E1

That's just the basics. Sonicsmith says that it has a professional preamp, internal VCA, attenuvertor, analog compressor, CV compressor/expander, quantizer, VCO mode, auto-gain, and multiple expansion options both in software and hardware.

MIDVertor E1
One of those expansions is the MIDVertor E1 which adds MIDI In and Out (MIDI 2.0 "ready" apparently) and a sustain pedal input to the party. It connects to the ConVertor E1 via a bus cable and supports up to 7 ConVertor E1 modules running simultaneously. MIDVertor E1 lets you route the information stripped from your guitar or voice in the ConVertor E1 to MIDI synths and other places while doing lots of other clever things too.

E1 Duo Pack
So the obvious thing is to get them together and they are available as a bundle. Other E1 series modules will be along in time.

Sounds like they've really nailed it with these modules to give you an expressive connection to your modular via an instrument or your voice while adding another voice of its own. In fact, they are offering an optional full synthesizer voice firmware which adds LFOs, filters and another DCO to the mix. Check out the details in the video below as there's a lot more going on than first appears. My only disappointment is the lack of colour on the MIDVertor faceplate – Sonicsmith usually have great colours going on!

Sonicsmith says that both modules will have a limited run and be available in late March 2021. Preorders are open now for £296.81 for the ConVertor, £220.70 for the MIDVertor or £487.07 for the bundle.

https://sonicsmith.com/products/e1-duo-pack/

chrish

carlb

Would be a very cool (if expensive rig) to have six of these driven by a hex pickup ...
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

chrish

If the 6 converters to midi works way better (flawless) than current guitar pitch to midi, I'll be buying one of these systems.

Maybe sell the SY1000. Starting to really appreciate the acoustic model and synth capability of the VG8s1.

kevorkian

Quote from: carlb on December 15, 2020, 05:20:49 PM
Would be a very cool (if expensive rig) to have six of these driven by a hex pickup ...

I'm already in line for 6 of these. Fingers crossed 😅

admin

Quote from: chrish on December 15, 2020, 05:32:59 PM
If the 6 converters to midi works way better (flawless) than current guitar pitch to midi, I'll be buying one of these systems.

Maybe sell the SY1000. Starting to really appreciate the acoustic model and synth capability of the VG8s1.
Id just use a BilBax Separate Strings Breakout box and drive SIX SONUUS GTM and a 6 way MIDI Merge box, or SIX i2M units a USB Hub
https://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

https://www.sonuus.com/downloads/sonuus-i2M-musicport-Editor.pdf
but Tripleplay Connect is cheaper (and works better for my needs) - as I do not own any Modular Synths

billbax

QuoteId just use a BilBax Separate Strings Breakout box and drive SIX SONUUS GTM and a 6 way MIDI Merge box, or SIX i2M units a USB Hub

Thanks for the mention admin 8)

Better still, use a GK mini breakout cable priced at £80.00GBP with six Sonuus GTMs.  I have a few customers using the Sonuus with a breakout cable, and they all report success.  https://www.separate-strings.co.uk/breakout%20cables%20and%20more.html

Mini Breakout Cable.  Shown with XLRs for separate string outputs.

Separate string connector options.

chrish

^always thought it would be nice to have one of those cables to plug into the Roland US 20 13 pin splitter box. One 13 pin going to a VG8 or SY1000 and if it had 1/8" plugs, it could go to these new converter boxes by sonicsmith.

chrish