Short range expression pedal

Started by atomheart411, December 08, 2020, 06:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomheart411

QuoteI've been using either a Roland or Ernie Ball. But I'd like to find a pedal with a shorter throw. Those specs aren't reported typically so I turn to the community. Any suggestions for a short throw expression pedal?

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/multi-use-exp/ep-1/

gumbo

Mod a (keyboard) Damper Pedal....    ;)

...if you can bring yourself to buy another Roland product, you could do worse than a Roland DP-10...   8)

These things can be basically set up to go (the equivalent of) Heel down to Toe down in an instant...
...if you need some level of transition, play with the internals and/or build in a pot of sorts...

...just saying... :)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

Convert an old wa pedal, they usually have a shorter through

atomheart411

Wow, a damper pedal. I just tore my studio apart looking for one. I used to have one but must have let it go. I was using it as a momentary switch a few years back. I really want to try that for a couple of reasons. Much shorter throw, yeah. But also would be the fulfillment of another thing I've been wanting to try which is a spring loaded wah. One that pushes back which, correct if I'm wrong, damper pedals all do. From past experience that throw is right about what I'd like for wah. But for actual volume control you'd have to keep your foot on it assuming you assign the down position as the silent. I've been in the habit for many years of keeping a volume pedal on my board as a quick efficient mute, and volume control. I could probably assign one of the control buttons to mute everything. Still learning the programming.

whippingpost  Funny you should suggest that because it is precisely the wah in the SY1000 I was experimenting with that started this search. I've been using an Ernie Ball and really not happy with it as an expression/wah pedal. And I had the thought that somebody who makes wah pedals and expression pedals, like Xotic, might be the way to go. Because wahs usually do have a shorter throw than a volume pedal. But I really want to try this damper pedal idea. Can't believe I never thought of that. Okay, drop another $30 on Reverb.

admin

Quote from: atomheart411 on December 09, 2020, 10:38:19 AM
Wow, a damper pedal. I just tore my studio apart looking for one. I used to have one but must have let it go. I was using it as a momentary switch a few years back. I really want to try that for a couple of reasons. Much shorter throw, yeah. But also would be the fulfillment of another thing I've been wanting to try which is a spring loaded wah. One that pushes back which, correct if I'm wrong, damper pedals all do. From past experience that throw is right about what I'd like for wah. But for actual volume control you'd have to keep your foot on it assuming you assign the down position as the silent. I've been in the habit for many years of keeping a volume pedal on my board as a quick efficient mute, and volume control. I could probably assign one of the control buttons to mute everything. Still learning the programming.

whippingpost  Funny you should suggest that because it is precisely the wah in the SY1000 I was experimenting with that started this search. I've been using an Ernie Ball and really not happy with it as an expression/wah pedal. And I had the thought that somebody who makes wah pedals and expression pedals, like Xotic, might be the way to go. Because wahs usually do have a shorter throw than a volume pedal. But I really want to try this damper pedal idea. Can't believe I never thought of that. Okay, drop another $30 on Reverb.

Not any Damper pedal will work-must be the Roland with a TRS cable for EACH Pedal ( three total) 

Like the RPU-3

FULL RPU-3 DETAILS
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23478.msg172278#msg172278

whippinpost91850

gumbo

Just do a double-check on the specs of the RPU-3 before purchasing.....I have a feeling that, when I looked at it a LOOOONG time ago, there WASN'T a pot on every pedal....some were just On/Off....

...mind you, that could be useful too...   ;)

HTH
Peter

atomheart411

Thanks for saying that. Having some experience with actual pianos I unconsciously expect a damper pedal to have a range of effect .

gumbo

A common descriptor of the specs of a damper pedal for an electronic keyboard (like the ones we are discussing) is whether it has the capability to handle "Half-pedal"....  i.e. it is a proportional control...

HTH

Peter