GR-55 featured in my Christmas Rock Opera

Started by DreamTheory, November 14, 2020, 05:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

https://dtmguitar.wixsite.com/legendsofthemagi    Listen for free

This playlist uses GR-55 for all bass and guitar modeling, amp modeling and stomp effects, the sitar sound is featured on one track as an 'electro-sitar' sound, a custom designed high octave patch to add tone color to a blend with acoustic guitar (making kind of a Mediterranean sounding strummy thing), and the steel model rounds out the real dulcimer on the last track. Sometimes a subtle use of GR-55 is more powerful than an in-your-face patch.

I'm calling this a Christmas rock opera, but I decided to skip any narration. I was surprised that there are so few rock operas about Christmas. TSO and some Broadway style things about the life of Jesus, but nothing like a Rick Wakeman Journey to the Center of the Earth or a Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds. There are 66 books in the Bible; you think that by now people would have done them all up, but I have not found hardly anything that comes close (Michael Card has themed albums, that's about it, and they're pretty square). So I thought I'd try depicting the 3 mysterious magi. GR-55 provided lots of help and tone color that I could not have achieved otherwise.

hmmm... maybe I'll tackle the sea monster and the dragon in Daniel and Isaiah... but what PCM tone should I use?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Mrchevy

Quote from: Dream_Theory on November 14, 2020, 05:11:16 PM
I was surprised that there are so few rock operas about Christmas.
As you said there are some about Jesus, but not necessarily Christmas. Probably the best "Jesus/Christian" rock operas I know of was 'Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Godspell". I think Godspell was a bit more from a Psychedelic perspective. JCS had a kickass soundtrack. Both from early 70's. Definitely heavy in "Hippy" flavor.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones