Wah trick not working with SY1000

Started by kaiserhe, August 29, 2020, 05:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaiserhe

Did anyone did the "wah trick" like in the Video with the SY 1000? I did this with my MS-3, but the same thing its not working with the SY 1000. In all settings of the ACT.LOW and ACT.HIGH parameters the on/off switching happens, when pedal is at 50. Thank you for your help!

jozart

Is the EXP mode not set to MOMENT?

Auto-Engage Wah assignments for the EXP pedal(s) should work. Details are in the Ultimate Guide to GT-1000 and several guides to older Boss effects.

gumtown

Is your expression pedal "Boss Compatible"?
Not all pedals are created equal, and also require a stereo/TRS type cable to connect.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

kaiserhe

The pedal is a Roland EV5. It should work. When I switch to "momentary" the wah kicks in at the last bit of the pedal movement but switches to "off" when I leave the position.
In the "toggle" it should stay ON until i reach the switch position again.
Like in the video, I set the value for "ACT Range Low" to 125 and for "Act Range hi" to 127.
The switching to "on" happens at 50 and it turns "off" wen i Reach the position again.

plexified

Perhaps check you WAH Pedal Position , Pedal Min , Pedal Max for the Effect range. 

It seems to be grabbing (50) as the on off slot you assigned ( 125 , 127) as the 'end' of travel.

From you description it is  like your pedal range is limited to 0 -50 . Take a look at those parameters and make sure they are 0-127 as well as assigned to the same EXP # (1-3) as your above control parameter.

jozart

I understand what you mean now. You're using an assign like the following:

Target: FX1 ON/OFF
Min: OFF
Max: ON
Source: EXP1
Mode: TOGGLE
Act Low: 126
Act Hi: 127

It looks like Act Range is not working with an EXP source in TOGGLE mode.

As you wrote, it triggers at the mid position regardless of Active Range.

jozart

I added to forum's bug list:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27381.50

I will also report to online support, and I suggest you do the same.

arkieboy

I have my wah set up bad horsie style and it works fine ... I use a FCB1010 for the controller
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

jozart

Quote from: arkieboy on August 29, 2020, 12:03:00 PM
I have my wah set up bad horsie style and it works fine ... I use a FCB1010 for the controller

Given that FCB1010 is a MIDI controller, I assume you're not assigning EXP1 source with an Active Range.

kaiserhe

Thank you for the clarification. I will report to the Boss support.

arkieboy

Quote from: jozart on August 29, 2020, 12:24:40 PM
Given that FCB1010 is a MIDI controller, I assume you're not assigning EXP1 source with an Active Range.

No - I'm doing it entirely by midi.  But I have a range that's a continuous controller and an adjacent range that's a switch.  So the issue doesn't seem to be with the setup of the controllers ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

One way to check your Expression pedal range calibration is to set the SY-1000 to send cc# midi assigned to the EXP pedal with an ASSIGN
Target to midi cc#(any cc# number) with Act Range 0 and 127
connect the SY-1000 USB to a computer running a midi monitor software (Bomes sendSx) with the software set to SY-1000 midi input.
Moving the EXP pedal should send a range of 0~127 over the full EXP pedal movement.

The EXP pedal i have will only work in a range of 13 to 105, so I have set my Assigns to work within that range to get full pedal range heel to toe.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jozart

When I repro'd the problem, I also verified that my M-Audio pedal was sending the full range by assigning it to FV1 PEDAL POSITION and looking at the onscreen display.

jozart

I received a response from support indicating that the activation in my assignment occurs at 75 on an EV-5, but that's neither here nor there because the support rep recommended configuring the exp pedal as a MOMENT source.

The following instructions from The Ultimate Guide to GT-1000 also work on my SY-1000:

AUTO-ENGAGE

The GT-1000 has a traditional "toe-down" switch to engage the wah or pedal bend effect. But sometimes, it's just easier to be able to get straight into rocking the expression pedal without having to press the toe switch. Luckily, this is easily achievable using the GT-1000's powerful ASSIGN MATRIX.
––––––––
Press MENU → CONTROL ASSIGN → ASSIGN SETTING to open the ASSIGN MATRIX.
Rotate Knob 1 to select an unused Assign number.
Press Knob 1 to turn the Assign Switch ON.
Use Knob 2 to select PEDAL FX ON/OFF.
If you want the effect to be off in the toe down position: MIN = ON MAX = OFF
Set SOURCE to EXP1, and MODE to MOMENT.
Use the PAGE [>] button to get to the next page of parameters.
Set ACT LOW = 126 and ACT HIGH = 127.

So what's actually happening here? Well, the range of the expression pedal goes from 0 (heel down) to 127 (toe  down). We've basically told the GT1000 that we want this assign to be effective within the range of 126 to 127, and at the minimum setting, the effect will be ON, and at the maximum setting the effect will turn OFF. Setting the range very small effectively means that moving the expression pedal at all from the toe down position "triggers" the switch.

This works well for auto-engaging a wah effect, since we're used to starting on the toe down position anyway due to the location of the toe switch. However, for a pitch bend effect, you probably don't want to start in the toe down position where your guitar sound will suddenly be +2 octaves up! So in this case, we'd want to set it up so that the same thing happens, but the auto-engage occurs in the HEEL down position instead. To do this, change the following parameters:
––
If you want the effect to be off in the heel down position: MIN = OFF MAX = ON
Set ACT LOW = 0 and ACT HIGH = 1.

This assumes that you would have the expression pedal in the heel down position normally, and so any movement stepping down on the pedal will then turn on the pedal effect.

beatpete

Quote from: kaiserhe on August 29, 2020, 06:15:33 AMThe pedal is a Roland EV5. It should work. When I switch to "momentary" the wah kicks in at the last bit of the pedal movement but switches to "off" when I leave the position.
In the "toggle" it should stay ON until i reach the switch position again.
Like in the video, I set the value for "ACT Range Low" to 125 and for "Act Range hi" to 127.
The switching to "on" happens at 50 and it turns "off" wen i Reach the position again.

This exact thing is happening to me as well, was there ever a fix?

gumtown

I think it is a matter of checking your external EXP pedal is giving a full range, in the realms of Assigns the range needs to stretch from 0 to 127.
If the pedal has a calibration knob, it needs to be set to give that full range of control, with the Wah assign for switch on /off the Wah effect, the top numbers might not be able to be reached if the pedal does not give a full range, so assign Active Range numbers need to be reduced to 120 or 110 for the high Range.

beatpete

Quote from: gumtown on November 26, 2022, 12:40:39 PMI think it is a matter of checking your external EXP pedal is giving a full range, in the realms of Assigns the range needs to stretch from 0 to 127.
If the pedal has a calibration knob, it needs to be set to give that full range of control, with the Wah assign for switch on /off the Wah effect, the top numbers might not be able to be reached if the pedal does not give a full range, so assign Active Range numbers need to be reduced to 120 or 110 for the high Range.

Thanks for the reply, but it definitely has full range, just no matter where you set the assign (even126/127) it changes at 50. It works properly if set to "momentary". Pretty sure it's a bug...

beatpete

Quote from: jozart on September 18, 2020, 02:03:52 PMUse Knob 2 to select PEDAL FX ON/OFF.

There is no PEDAL FX ON/Off on the Sy-1000

stub

Quote from: beatpete on November 27, 2022, 10:56:00 AMIt works properly if set to "momentary". Pretty sure it's a bug...

Not sure if this is from the manual, but it's been mentioned on this forum several times:

"When using expression pedal as source, make sure SY-1000 assign is set to MOMENTARY"

Brak(E)man

Quote from: stub on November 27, 2022, 01:33:14 PMNot sure if this is from the manual, but it's been mentioned on this forum several times:

"When using expression pedal as source, make sure SY-1000 assign is set to MOMENTARY"

True
I remembered that from Rhcole's Stacker patch on the SY-300
This post might be useful https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=167316
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

beatpete

Quote from: stub on November 27, 2022, 01:33:14 PMNot sure if this is from the manual, but it's been mentioned on this forum several times:

I know any continuous controller should be set to momentary, but I'm trying to "switch" between "foot volume" and "wah" in FX2. As I said, set to momentary, it works as it should (changing fx at 126/127) but only when pressed. When changed to toggle it switches at around 50 instead of 126.
BTW I've been using Roland assigns extensively for years and this works fine in other units (i.e. my trusty GP-10).

stub

My bad. These issue descriptions are so difficult to write, much less read; and I apologize for not following very carefully.

beatpete

Update:
I hooked a midi cable between midi in and midi out, set EXP 1 to CC#80 (125/127) and set assign to switch FX2 between foot volume/wah and it works perfectly!
Definitely a bug...

spikey

So I hate to ask because the answer may be "way out there", but how long before these bugs get fixed ball-park?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: spikey on December 01, 2022, 04:01:50 AMSo I hate to ask because the answer may be "way out there", but how long before these bugs get fixed ball-park?

I'm guessing never.
There's several "minor" bugs that has been reported to Boss that's never been addressed.
That's one of the downside with Boss/Roland corporate structure.
They don't seem to want an active communication with their customer base.
The upside is in general great products ( but with some remaining bugs )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch