SY-1000 FxFloorBoard editor for the SY-1000

Started by gumtown, July 17, 2020, 04:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumtown

Will eventually be a reality someday (soon?)
Still be plugging away on this for months now.
What makes the SY-1000 version difficult is the massive volume of data the SY-1000 infrastructure holds,
this editor project is by far larger than anything before.

It is coming along quite well so far, here is a screen capture on INST 3 Sequencer 1, which shows all the parameters on one page,
where Boss's Tone Studio version is very fragmented over multiple pages.

The purpose of my layout is to make the experience more "functionally usable".

While the project is still under construction, I will take any feature requests on for consideration.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

Brilliant and bravo.  I keep meaning to write my review on the inconsistencies on Roland's official app and I keep losing my mind and not doing it.

Eagerly awaiting how this turns out!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Player60

That is good news. I have the gr55 with your floorboard program and just purchased a sy 1000  the computer interface is certainly lacking  . On thing I miss is a way to print out user patches
Thanks for your efforts !!

Kevin M

Quote from: gumtown on July 17, 2020, 04:15:36 PM
Will eventually be a reality someday (soon?)
Still be plugging away on this for months now.
What makes the SY-1000 version difficult is the massive volume of data the SY-1000 infrastructure holds,
this editor project is by far larger than anything before.

It is coming along quite well so far, here is a screen capture on INST 3 Sequencer 1, which shows all the parameters on one page,
where Boss's Tone Studio version is very fragmented over multiple pages.

The purpose of my layout is to make the experience more "functionally usable".

While the project is still under construction, I will take any feature requests on for consideration.

This is great. Can any of us be of assistance?  I'm primarily a business applications developer, but am familiar with C/C++ code and could also do testing (assuming you can currently build a Mac image)

Adonf

A lot of work ahead, good luck.

Ps: if you need me to translate the texts into French, I am at your disposal.
Egsolidbody French Kit SM-DC Deluxe
Roland Gr 55
Line 6 Ux1
Soundcraft EPM8
katana MK2 100
Marshall Valvelstate 80v
Prs se Santana 2002
Focales Alpha 50

Nobulusprime

Can't wait for this one, it will be a game changer for the SY1000. I've been forced to use the unit (which isn't too bad) as BTS is not only slow but full of bugs. More than happy to beta test for Mac when you're done, and donate to the development.

admin

Gumtown has already explained the very high amount of data that must be manipulated during SY-1000 remote patch editing with a GUI app

With luck his will be superior for Boss Tone Studio for SY-1000

or

it might be the same sluggish experience - but I do prefer Gumtowns patch arrangement style and patch management - when many simply want to save & share one specific patch,  hopefully Gumtown's SY-1000 Editor
/ Librarian liberates us from the "LiveSet" paradigm     

Nobulusprime

Quote from: admin on July 25, 2020, 03:05:19 AM
it might be the same sluggish experience   
I think he said he might have thought of a work around for that (fingers crossed!). That said though the speed is frustrating, the BTS bugs are more irritating with jumping blocks and numerous other quirks

aliensporebomb

I've found that the faster the computer the better the thing works.  However, why didn't Roland/Boss have a cache that reflected "things unlikely to change" when using the SY-1000 rather than just assuming "we want you to load all of this stuff EVERY time you launch the application"?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

Since this editor is going to take a while to complete,
I have posted a demo/preview of SY-1000Floorboard editor,
so far (at this moment now) only a Windows 64 bit version, which can be downloaded from

https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/files/SY-1000/

It is still a long way from complete, but does function some-what at the moment,
no bass mode, system settings, patch pedal settings, assigns are half done.
But the synth and effects should all be good, and it can load and save *.tsl patch files,
and connect with the SY-1000.
The chain is not done either, the items are just in fixed positions and do not reflect the actual signal chain order.

The main layout is still in the 'vomit-on-canvas' stage too.

But it will let you know where it is "at" at this moment, and suggestions and comments are welcomed.  :)

enjoy !!

Some extra notes:
this Windows 64 bit version starts faster than a 32 bit build, and is faster than Tone Studio on startup.
It uses much more memory than Tone Studio 700Mb vs 150Mb, as all functions are generated at startup and kept in memory throughout the runtime session,
where Tone Studio generates each page on demand, and composts the page after switching to another page, which slows it's (BTS) real-time operation and response.
The FloorBoard editor runs faster now after passing through a code optimizer tester, and making the recommended code changes.
Bass Mode is yet to come, which will be a startup option the user can choose from the preferences menu.
Once bass mode is added, either mode will be able to read/load/save patches from/to either mode.

SY-1000FloorBoard Source code is also posted on the SourceForge site, if anyone wants to have a crack at building or developing.
All you need is to install Qt C++ framework integrated development environment from
https://www.qt.io/download-open-source?hsCtaTracking=9f6a2170-a938-42df-a8e2-a9f0b1d6cdce%7C6cb0de4f-9bb5-4778-ab02-bfb62735f3e5
what ever your flavor of operating system is, same source code works on all.
Install the Qt IDE, download the source code and extract to a working folder, run Qt Creator and open SY-1000FloorBoard.pro as a project file, select a build option and build/run.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

OldGuitarDude

Thank you for all your hard work on this Colin! Will give it a go later today :)

JiveTurkey

Gumtown; you are our only hope! Thanks a billion! If you have a paypal link and Steve is fine with it; please post it and I will drop a donation your way. Cheers!

admin

jozart

Psyche!

Is there any practical way to print a patch in readable form? For example, I'd like to be able to scan some of the uploaded examples, factory patches, or even my own, to see how they are built. This would require some filtering or trimming to avoid info overload.

It would also be useful for grep'ing patches to find examples of a specific setting. For this use, a brute force patch dump with readable labels would suffice.

gumtown

Quote from: jozart on August 04, 2020, 09:37:45 AM
Psyche!

Is there any practical way to print a patch in readable form? For example, I'd like to be able to scan some of the uploaded examples, factory patches, or even my own, to see how they are built. This would require some filtering or trimming to avoid info overload.

It would also be useful for grep'ing patches to find examples of a specific setting. For this use, a brute force patch dump with readable labels would suffice.

All in good time...

JiveTurkey

Money sent. Thanks for your hard work, Colin!

mchad

Donated. Thanks Gummers for your hard work.

gumtown

Thanks for your donations  :)

In typical fashion, once I release a bit of software, all the bugs are immediately apparent a minute later.
So today I have been plugging away on the Assigns, fixed a slight file byte alignment mismatch on all the even number assigns,
and 1/3rd the way through entering the min/max knob target range values for each of the 2000 assigns.
The assign ranges are actually hell-on-earth to do, as the parameters are not the same as the patch parameters, but these are based +/- around
a &hex8000 base (16 thousand and something numbers).

And have now also built in bass mode *.tsl patch loading/conversion while in Guitar mode (that wan't too hard) only 300 lines of code and a lot of cut & paste bit matching.

This stuff has not been updated yet in the release, as I will probably just do weekly preview build update/upload. (or sooner... )

User feedback is always appreciated too, let me know if there is something you like or dislike.
my favorite knob so far is the Dynamic synth Sequencer Loop Length, twisting it up & down, it took a bit of lateral thinking to get that working.

Adonf

Great work, I can't test it for the moment, because in France it will only be available in September because of the pandemic, I can't wait to have it and at the same time I can't wait to tell you how I feel about your creation.

Yours sincerely.

Michel.
Egsolidbody French Kit SM-DC Deluxe
Roland Gr 55
Line 6 Ux1
Soundcraft EPM8
katana MK2 100
Marshall Valvelstate 80v
Prs se Santana 2002
Focales Alpha 50

gvidelock

Donation made...hopefully you can relax a little in between coding and testing and keeps the bugs at bay...on my first job right after college I did some of my best assembly coding after two beer/pizza lunches (at least I thought I did...did you have any dex4200 fax machines down under in 1979?).
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

gumtown

Quote from: gvidelock on August 05, 2020, 02:08:27 PM...did you have any dex4200 fax machines down under in 1979?.
In 1979 we were still using the methylated spirits copier machine (Mimeograph copier).

Nobulusprime

Donated! Looking forward to this :) Thanks for your efforts on this Gumtown!

arkieboy

Since I have a Mac and I am a developer - of an entirely different sort admittedly - I thought I could contribute at least by providing an OSX build.

At the moment it seems to build mostly OK - it complains a lot about some deprecated stuff, particularly QFlags - but I am getting one bonafide error 'use of undeclared identifier "ratio"'

I'll go and grab a new copy and see if you've fixed it since yesterday

Steve

p.s.  Boy did Qt take some downloading!!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

arkieboy

So 'ratio' was set in code that was conditional on being on OS X, so I removed the conditional, set the ratio to be an int of magnitude 1 and ran build again.  I had a bunch of 'you've defined this before' errors which were also in OS X conditional blocks so I removed them, defaulting to the OS X values.

I'm getting a lot more build going on now - I'm up to 1.2k warnings ( :-) ) but it continues ...

edit ...

And I got it to run!

I had 'RtMidiIn: no compiled support for specified API argument!' so I expect I have to run some things to enable Qt to talk to OSX midi.   

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

gumtown

On mac osx you will need Apple "developer tools" installed to compile and talk midi.

Currently adding bass mode so i can't update the source code until I'm past this unstable stage of conditional remapping of all parameter addresses.

EDIT: I just uploaded the latest source code (V2)