What do you do to keep the VG-99 sounds current?

Started by mostlyjazzer, June 26, 2020, 08:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Quote from: admin on June 29, 2020, 03:03:38 AM
All true - its why I recommend the Yerasov Iron Cab Stereo IR Cab SIM with MIDI CONTROL
Enable it only for Electric Guitar tone
disable the Cab Sim when you want to run Synths  / Acoustic tones

All via MIDI out from VG-99 to MIDI in on Iron Cab

And if you send the sub out to it you can select whether you use it for ChA, Cub or both. Simply zero the main mixer out for the channel you're using it on.

That Yerasov is actually a really good solution here.

Rusty Kirkland

... thoughts on the Cabzeus after VG-99 R/L outs?   (COSM amps disabled)

?
Rusty

admin

Quote from: Rusty Kirkland on June 29, 2020, 08:50:32 AM
... thoughts on the Cabzeus after VG-99 R/L outs?   (COSM amps disabled)

?
Rusty

No support for third party IR cab loading

mostlyjazzer

Well, a week has gone by.Seems like months. My explorations lead me to conclude the following:

The VG-99 is a keeper. There are still many dimensions to explore in it.
The COSM approach sounds more organic than voltage to PCM.
I still love some of those pads sound from my recently sold GR-55 but
will try to tie my VG to an old Yamaha QY-100 synth module/sequencer I have.
I think it would be worth it for me to expand on the units ability to drive
external modules through MIDI.
Other realizations:
I like big sounds. I'm thinking that, aside a modern amp/cab modeler as mentioned here,
about the only siren call I get is getting a Eventide H9 to add/go spatial/ambient à la Star Trek,
where no one has gone before...

:)

alexmcginness

Quote from: mostlyjazzer on July 05, 2020, 05:32:38 PM
Well, a week has gone by.Seems like months. My explorations lead me to conclude the following:

The VG-99 is a keeper. There are still many dimensions to explore in it.

Well, Ill bet youre happy you didnt sell it first to find that out. We told Smash that we would hunt him down if he ever sold his again. :-)
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

mostlyjazzer

Yes I am glad.
Tomorrow, I'm getting some fret work done (stainless steel frets on my Godin XTSA) and will also
move the bridge p-up to accommodate a future FTP, making this a Lord of the Rings guitar.
One guitar to rule them all........ :D

I'm actually compensating for having sold my GR-55.
(PCM withdrawal syndrome).  :(

Headless68

Im just going to throw this one into the mix :-) 
my current setup is Fractal FM3 and ....VG8ex (for acoustics, alt tuning, Vio & HRM synth stuff, not for 'normal guitar' )
this truly is the best of both worlds. The Guitar out of the VG8 can go into the FM3 and the stereo out from the FM3 into the VG8 AUX in
Run into a pair of FRFR cabs
it sounds fantastic

Headless68

.......however, FM3 great as it is at amps, when you try to get complex it becomes really annoying that it mutes itself when it hits about 85% cpu - but I found a fix - replace the FM3 with a VG99 !
To be honest having played the 99 since it was released nobody ever came up At a gig and said 'the guitar amps sounded bad' (although I have been asked if I was miming to a synth backing track :-)
Anyway - the thing I wanted to bring up from my final round of gear testing is this, the element I think you will get the most change sonically from is reverb (so forget rock guitar, this is for everything else) - having spent some time with a Strymon big sky and because often the reverb is last in chain it is a very nice addition to the 99

Headless

gumtown

Quote from: Headless68 on August 04, 2020, 01:16:49 AM
(although I have been asked if I was miming to a synth backing track :-)

I have had that same question at a gig too,
my snarky reply was that the whole band is miming to a backing track.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

aliensporebomb

VG-99 sounds great at stage volume for guitar sounds:

You'll have to bear with the terrible camera work - my conscripted camera person had stayed up for several days to finish a project and he was just on the verge of passing out and did drop the camera several times but the actual sound shows what the vg-99 can do in a live performance context direct to pa in stereo.

This was built up from vg-99 sounds into a electro-harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai looper.

This is VG-99 at Stage volume - lead guitar is later in the tune:
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mostlyjazzer

Quite a lot of different textures going on. 
The distorted lead tone is superb,
makes you scratch your head and look for the cab /amp stack...which is nowhere to be found.

Thanks for sharing. :)

aliensporebomb

All of those patches are available for download here - the lead is the Jam Like Per patch FYI.

This one:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19776.0

Same sound but just add a little delay to it to get a similar sound to what was in the video.

Smash

Quote from: Headless68 on August 04, 2020, 01:16:49 AM
.......however, FM3 great as it is at amps, when you try to get complex it becomes really annoying that it mutes itself when it hits about 85% cpu - but I found a fix - replace the FM3 with a VG99

Headless

3...2...1.... back in the room!

Headless68

I know ......again :-)

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Piing

Quote from: Rusty Kirkland on June 28, 2020, 12:15:44 PM
so with respect to "sending the outs of the VG-99 to a cab/IR box"...  I assume that other options would work as well...
***  warning: these will be overkill
*****VG-99 R/L outs to a HX Stomp
*****VG-99 R/L outs to one of the R/L input pairs of a Axe FX III

yes?

Rusty

Not overkill. I currently have the regular pickups to the Axe-FX III Input 1, VG-99 to Axe-FX III Input 2R/L, SY-1000 to Axe-FX III Input 3R/L and, if my wife doesn't over-kill me, a Poly Beebo may fit into Input 4R/L in the future

vanceg

Quote from: gumbo on August 08, 2020, 06:15:43 AM
...the good bit is we know you know... ;D
did I know that?  Oh yeah, I did. 

The VG-99 just keeps giving.  Every time I veer away, thinking "I could get cleaner, or wider or bigger or more interactive" when I go back to the VG-99 there's still something I haven't discovered, and it just works....

mooncaine

aliensporebomb

My friend did this on the VG-99 quite a few years ago but is quite the piece of sound sculpture:

aliensporebomb

Quote from: mooncaine on October 19, 2020, 06:38:13 PM
Well, I did this.

I love that insanity!

If nobody ever heard it since we've got some new faces around some things I did with the VG-99 in the past:

https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/mondoshawan-visit

Never equalled:

But Seriously:

thebrushwithin

QuoteThe Guitar out of the VG8 can go into the FM3 and the stereo out from the FM3 into the VG8 AUX in
So, I am revisiting my VG8s again, and after going through the manual, I cannot find where the Aux in is returned in the sound chain. Is it simply a mixer, where it doesn't actually enter the VG8 until the end of the chain, acting as a mixer with the VG as opposed to being an effects loop that can be further processed by the VG?

chrish

Quote from: thebrushwithin on October 17, 2021, 05:02:37 PM
So, I am revisiting my VG8s again, and after going through the manual, I cannot find where the Aux in is returned in the sound chain. Is it simply a mixer, where it doesn't actually enter the VG8 until the end of the chain, acting as a mixer with the VG as opposed to being an effects loop that can be further processed by the VG?
off the top of my head, the VG8 does not process the Aux in through the Fx.