Katana Fx FloorBoard issues on Linux

Started by Creamy, May 31, 2020, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

I'm trying to get my Katana 50 MkI to work with Fx on Linux, but it only seems to "half" work.

The app connects to the Katana as indicated by the lit up logo in the app as well as the green "Connect" button. It also doesn't report any errors on startup. I can even click on one of the KATANA channels in the app and it will change on the amp.

However, I cannot seem to load patches, and I don't think I'm able to write them either. I get the following error:
QuotePatch data transfer failed, are the correct midi ports selected?

However, I can only assume the correct ports are selected as the app starts up without complaint. "Auto select KATANA USB" is also checked in the settings. As for what ports are shown, please see the attachment on this post. It is important to note that the app arbitrarily loses connection with the Katana and the amp needs to be restarted. It works perfectly on an old Windows 7 laptop I have lying around.l

I've confirmed my Katana is up to date (running firmware version 4.0) and that I've downloaded the newest version of Fx (MkI, FW4).

I'm running Debian Sid (Unstable) with kernel version 5.6.0-2-rt (RT (real-time) variant), 64-bit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

gumtown

I will have a look at that on Linux (when time permits), but for a starter,
try un-selecting "Auto select KATANA USB" and make sure "deBug Mode" is not selected too (this bypasses all connection errors and error messages).

Then try each of the same pair of "KATANA" devices shown in the midi device selection dialog (so the same pair are matched for midi input and midi output),
just to see if any of the other "KATANA" midi inputs work better.
the reason is that the "Auto select KATANA USB" selects the first instance of a KATANA device in a midi device list, and I suspect this version of Linux may be generating a 'virtual device' and placing it first in the list, instead of last.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Creamy

Thank you for the prompt response! Your reply makes perfect sense to me. :)

I've tried un-selecting the auto-select (what a strange sentence) and matching them one by one, but each time the app starts it reports it cannot find a Katana. I've ensured debug mode is disabled too.

Quote... I suspect this version of Linux may be generating a 'virtual device' and placing it first in the list, instead of last.
This is actually quite a plausible theory and it makes me want to try manually selecting all of the I/O choices again as I may have missed a pairing. Once I'm with my Katana again later today I'll give it a shot.

Thank you again!

Creamy

So I tried all 3 KATANA interfaces and each of them give me an error on startup asking me to select a MIDI interface.

Interesting quirk that happens as a result of unticking auto-select: When I re-tick auto-select, it cannot connect to the KATANA at all until I turn the amp off and on again. After I do that, then restart the app, it will connect automatically again without an error. I still get "no reply" next to each KATANA channel, though.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also of note, which seems to imply writing doesn't work as well as reading, is that I cannot set the cab resonance or line out properties.

EDIT 2: It seems every time I close the app, regardless of whether or not I change any settings, I need to restart the amp to connect.

EDIT 3: I'm now wondering if the issue lies with Linux or the Katana, not Fx. When trying to record in Audacity, I have the input set to the Katana USB interface, but when I hit record nothing happens until I open "pavucontrol" and open the "Recording" tab at which point it just starts recording. Does this sound familiar?

EDIT 4: Wow, okay, so when it miraculously starts working in Audacity after viewing the Recording tab in pavucontrol, I'm suddenly able to load patches in Fx from the Katana. But after loading a single patch, it shows the error again saying it cannot transfer any more patches. Audacity also arbitrarily stops working after a recording or two. This seems like a Linux issue as opposed to a Katana issue. Has anyone experienced this?

EDIT 5: Tried a different USB Type-B cable just to be sure I wasn't using a dodgy cable.

EDIT 6: Here's the output of "lsusb":
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 004: ID 04ca:7070 Lite-On Technology Corp.
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0025 Intel Corp.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 17ef:3070 Lenovo
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 17ef:3070 Lenovo USB3.1 Hub             
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 17ef:3075 Lenovo
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 17ef:306f Lenovo USB2.0 Hub             
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0e8d:1887 MediaTek Inc. KATANA
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 17ef:3071 Lenovo KATANA
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 17ef:3071 Lenovo USB2.0 Hub             
Bus 002 Device 016: ID 0582:01d8 Roland Corp. KATANA
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 17ef:3074 Lenovo USB Billboard
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Creamy

I tried it with my new Katana 100 MkII, and on Fedora 32 (kernel 5.6.0) instead of Debian and am seeing the same issues. Any ideas?

gumtown

Quote from: Creamy on June 04, 2020, 08:04:03 PM
I tried it with my new Katana 100 MkII, and on Fedora 32 (kernel 5.6.0) instead of Debian and am seeing the same issues. Any ideas?

There are many distinct FxFloorboard versions for
Katana MK2,
Katana Original Firmware 4,
Firmware 3,
Firmware 2
and
Firmware 1.
So the version you download needs to match the Model and firmware of Katana.
Linux systems will only run on ALSA midi system, make sure you have all the ALSA libs installed, and not using JACK midi.

There is no Linux 32 bit version, so it would be impossible to run on Fedora 32.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Creamy

Quote from: gumtown on June 04, 2020, 09:35:38 PM
There are many distinct FxFloorboard versions for
Katana MK2,
Katana Original Firmware 4,
Firmware 3,
Firmware 2
and
Firmware 1.
So the version you download needs to match the Model and firmware of Katana.
Linux systems will only run on ALSA midi system, make sure you have all the ALSA libs installed, and not using JACK midi.

There is no Linux 32 bit version, so it would be impossible to run on Fedora 32.

I was sure to install the MkII version. :) Seeing as there's only one available firmware for the MkII, that didn't pose an issue.

I'm not running JACK. It's ALSA (without Pulseaudio over the top, but it's still 100% ALSA for MIDI). As for whether or not I have all the libs, I can only assume it does considering Debian and Fedora install full desktop environments.

And, yes, I know there isn't a 32-bit version. I was referring to Fedora Workstation v32 (the newest release).

Creamy

So I dual-booted Windows 10 on the machine (very far from ideal, as is a virtual machine) and Tone Studio, Katana Fx FloorBoard MkII, and recording through Audacity function perfectly.

This indicates the issue lies with Linux. I've tried Fedora 32 and Debian Unstable (both 64-bit, kernel 5.6) and both of them experience the exact same "half-functionality" (if that makes sense), but I'd hardly call it functionality.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with their Katanas on Linux? I thought they integrated the drivers into the kernel as of 5.3.

Creamy

I've now also tried Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (kernel 5.4) with the exact same issues.

gumtown

I have posted an updated Linux version, which will give more details on the Midi device list.

Please note: i don't have a Katana MK2, only the mk1 original,
so it is difficult to get this one right, although the midi I/O system should work fine as it is a duplicate of the MK1 which works fine on Ubuntu 18:04.

Creamy

Quote from: gumtown on June 11, 2020, 07:56:21 PM
I have posted an updated Linux version, which will give more details on the Midi device list.

Please note: i don't have a Katana MK2, only the mk1 original,
so it is difficult to get this one right, although the midi I/O system should work fine as it is a duplicate of the MK1 which works fine on Ubuntu 18:04.

Oh that's awesome! I'll take a look when I get home later today.

Thank you again for your work on this, by the way! I used your software on Windows a year ago and really loved it.

I might try booting into Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to see if I have success. If it works, it indicates the issue probably lies with a change made to Linux as opposed to the hardware I'm using.

mvptarheel

I have tried both the Windows (10) and Linux (Mint) versions on my Artist mk2. They both connect and edit patches pretty well as far as I can tell. 

Biggest issue is that I can't save a mk2 patch to disk. It changes my patch to LIQUID DRIVE 1, always the same patch, both on disk and in program, but doesn't touch the patch in the Katana. I have to "read current patch" to get it back. Writing to amp works fine, though, as well as saving mk1 patches. Quick save doesn't seem to work, either, as it often crashes the program.

I haven't tried to load a system backup, as it gives a data transfer error when I try to save it. Again, both Windows and Linux seem to function in the same way for me. I'll be glad to help in any way if I can.

Creamy

Quote from: mvptarheel on June 12, 2020, 08:02:39 PM
I have tried both the Windows (10) and Linux (Mint) versions on my Artist mk2. They both connect and edit patches pretty well as far as I can tell. 

Biggest issue is that I can't save a mk2 patch to disk. It changes my patch to LIQUID DRIVE 1, always the same patch, both on disk and in program, but doesn't touch the patch in the Katana. I have to "read current patch" to get it back. Writing to amp works fine, though, as well as saving mk1 patches. Quick save doesn't seem to work, either, as it often crashes the program.

I haven't tried to load a system backup, as it gives a data transfer error when I try to save it. Again, both Windows and Linux seem to function in the same way for me. I'll be glad to help in any way if I can.

Interesting, this indicates the issue lies with my computer specifically, but only on Linux.

Does anyone have some pointers on how to troubleshoot USB/MIDI devices? For reference, I'm running GNOME on Debian which implements pulseaudio, which, for all intents and purposes, is just pure ALSA. No JACK is installed.

I think I'll try booting Ubuntu 18.04 LTS when I get home. Perhaps something pre-5.3 might work.  :)

gumtown

On Linux, try placing the FxFloorBoard app/folder in a place which is "disk write friendly", or check the saved 'preferences.xml' file has write permissions.
If the permissions don't permit, you end up with attempted saved settings preferences which don't save, and end up with the wrong midi device selected.

Also try installing a few random ALSA lib files, perhaps with Synaptic package manager, just in case some vital ALSA lib file might be missing, although I would think that if the "Katana" is seen as a midi device option, then ALSA midi is working.

gumtown

Quote from: mvptarheel on June 12, 2020, 08:02:39 PM

That does seem to be an issue with the format of the file write system, which I will need to update.

Creamy

So it looks like I can get recording through Audacity/whatever DAW by setting the Katana as the output device and playing arbitrary audio through it. Doing this is what triggers the recording to work. However, Fx FloorBoard still can't seem to interact with it. It definitely seems that the issue is not Fx FloorBoard, but rather something with Linux. If I've tried multiple amps, multiple USB cables, multiple Linux distributions and disabled USB autosuspend, then the issue can't lie with Fx FloorBoard.

nino

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and just looking for help.
I count on your kindness, my english is very light :-)

I am writing in this thread because I guess I am in the right place.

Here is my problem.

Subject: no midi connexion on linux with katana mk2

I just testing fxfloorboard with my new Katana mk2. (Firmware version 1.02)

the fxfoorboard version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/Katana-MK2-FxFloorBoard_Linux.tar.gz/download

My kernel linux is 5.3.18. ( i have tested many other versions)
MK2 is reconized by my USB system.

If i test with  Fxloorboard for MK1 , i have three midi in/ out connection name "KATANA" and i read "user patch" with connect button.
But with mk2 software, i have no midi in/out device in preferences menu. ( No midi device available)

In preference menu i have tested all options, debug,, auto usb etc ...

I use tarball linux 2020-10-07

Thanks for your help

Nino

gumtown

Hi Nino,
I have found a problem with that version, and have now (hopefully) fixed the problem with the Midi device list.
A new Linux version of Katana MK2 FxFloorBoard 20201101 is now available at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/
:-)

Quote from: nino on November 01, 2020, 01:45:48 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and just looking for help.
I count on your kindness, my english is very light :-)

I am writing in this thread because I guess I am in the right place.

Here is my problem.

Subject: no midi connexion on linux with katana mk2

I just testing fxfloorboard with my new Katana mk2. (Firmware version 1.02)

the fxfoorboard version: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/Katana-MK2-FxFloorBoard_Linux.tar.gz/download

My kernel linux is 5.3.18. ( i have tested many other versions)
MK2 is reconized by my USB system.

If i test with  Fxloorboard for MK1 , i have three midi in/ out connection name "KATANA" and i read "user patch" with connect button.
But with mk2 software, i have no midi in/out device in preferences menu. ( No midi device available)

In preference menu i have tested all options, debug,, auto usb etc ...

I use tarball linux 2020-10-07

Thanks for your help

Nino

nino

Thank Gumtown,

In my first test, connect is ok.  :-)

Midi devices are created and Fxfloorboard soft is connected to MK2

I do more in-depth testing and get back to you for comment

Thanks again for the quick response

tocamac

Hi Gumtown,
it seems you have provided the fix just for MkII (2020-11-01), but the MkI version is still the "old" one (2020-10-07). Can you please upload the fix for MkI as well?
Thank you for your great SW!

Bob

Quote from: gumtown on November 01, 2020, 12:38:16 PM
Hi Nino,
I have found a problem with that version, and have now (hopefully) fixed the problem with the Midi device list.
A new Linux version of Katana MK2 FxFloorBoard 20201101 is now available at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/
:-)

gumtown

Quote from: tocamac on December 20, 2020, 10:21:12 AM
Hi Gumtown,
it seems you have provided the fix just for MkII (2020-11-01), but the MkI version is still the "old" one (2020-10-07). Can you please upload the fix for MkI as well?
Thank you for your great SW!

Bob

Is there an issue with the MK1 version on Linux?,
as the issue was only with the MK2 version,
for which both versions are now running the same midi I/O code.

tocamac

Hi,
I start FxFloorBoard and message "Katana or Midi device not selected in Preferences Menu" briefly shows up and disappears. Then the whole GUI comes up but is grayed out. Initially I thought it does not work. But after your quick reply I just tried to connect and it works (yes, I should have tried that before, sorry). Just the GUI is still gray. When I enter some menu, e.g. Preferences and hit Cancel, or when any other dialog box is opened and closed, GUI gets bright, normal colors.
So I apologize for the panic, there is just some minor GUI glitch that confused me, because it didn't happen in Windows, but otherwise it works fine. I am using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS and Katana 100 MK1 FW4.

Thanks again for great work
Bob

Quote from: gumtown on December 20, 2020, 01:39:48 PM
Is there an issue with the MK1 version on Linux?,
as the issue was only with the MK2 version,
for which both versions are now running the same midi I/O code.

nino

Hello,
I have updated my Katana MK2 100 FW1  to FW2.

My Linux is debian 11

I have installed FXFloorBoard with this link  https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/Katana-Mk2-FxFloorBoard_FW2-Linux-64_older-distros.tar.gz

but  i have a problem with midi connect (autoconnect failed)

If i use th FW1 version, midi connect is ok.

In debug mode on my console  i have this message
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F07E000601F7"  MsgType= "identity"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F041000000003311100000000000001060F7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110010000000000105FF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110020000000000105EF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110030000000000105DF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110040000000000105CF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110050000000000105BF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F04100000000331110060000000000105AF7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F041000000003311100700000000001059F7"  MsgType= "name"
midiIO::sendSysxMsg:  "F041000000003311100800000000001058F7"  MsgType= "name"
autoConnect failed
autoConnect failed
autoConnect failed
autoConnect f....

Cordialy
Nino

gumtown

Does the Linux version from here work for you ?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/Beta%20pre-release/

this is the latest.

Katana selected in the Preferences>Midi menu ? (try without 'auto select' enabled, and try the other Katana midi device in the list )

nino

hello , thank

with this release https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/Beta%20pre-release/

./Katana-Mk2-FxFloorBoard: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by ./Katana-Mk2-FxFloorBoard)

and with other midi port it is a same problem

Nino