FTP Connect iOS App midi control

Started by Tomd100, May 09, 2020, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomd100

Is it possible to control the TriplePlay Connect iOS app with an external midi controller such as the iRig Blueboard? I have the wireless TriplePlay installed on the guitar, which works really well with the iOS app, but I want to control the output volume from the iPad with an expression pedal attached to the IRig Blueboard rather than with the wheel on the FTP pickup controller. Thanks,Tom

FishmanSoftware

No, it is not possible. Currently the Connect app only works with MIDI from the TriplePlay controller or FC-1.

80Hz

Quote from: FishmanSoftware on May 11, 2020, 09:13:20 AM
No, it is not possible. Currently the Connect app only works with MIDI from the TriplePlay controller or FC-1.

Any chance that will change in a future update?  Also another help would be it could load AU instruments or have some kind of inter app audio connection, and the ability to layer just portions of the fret board instead of a forced split point.  These are my requests as a gigging club musician with a ton of guitar synth gear designed for live performance not recording.  iOS is the way to go for club gigs, a full blown mac is too much to deal with.  iOS support for plug in instruments, accepting midi control from any midi transmitter,  and more control over splits/layers.  Those three things could make my triple play replace my GR-55 on the gig.

Thanks for listening!

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: 80Hz on June 15, 2020, 06:12:27 PM
Any chance that will change in a future update?  Also another help would be it could load AU instruments or have some kind of inter app audio connection, and the ability to layer just portions of the fret board instead of a forced split point.  These are my requests as a gigging club musician with a ton of guitar synth gear designed for live performance not recording.  iOS is the way to go for club gigs, a full blown mac is too much to deal with.  iOS support for plug in instruments, accepting midi control from any midi transmitter,  and more control over splits/layers.  Those three things could make my triple play replace my GR-55 on the gig.

Thanks for listening!
We appreciate your specific detailed feature suggestions. We are just about to release a new version of the Connect app with some bug fixes, but we will consider your requests for our next feature update. Thanks!

rockzvezda1

Quote from: FishmanSoftware on June 16, 2020, 08:22:37 AM
We appreciate your specific detailed feature suggestions. We are just about to release a new version of the Connect app with some bug fixes, but we will consider your requests for our next feature update. Thanks!

I think would be better if you can do this:
1. Reduce the size of the app
Make it without any sounds (like your MAC version) with 'downloading all the sounds later' option. It will make your app much lighter so it can be run in the background (right now iPad Pro 2020 with 6GB of RAM always kicks your app out from the background cause its too big).

2. Make the app AUv3 compatible.
So we can load it int the cubasis or AUM. We all know that AudioBus and inter app audio will be dead soon.

3. MIDI OUT option
Seems like you guys have a lot of great midi event filters inside your app (that's why inside the app tracking is much better than everywhere else). MIDI out (virtual port?) would be great and we finally can get rid of other midi filter solutions. Like I always use velocity filter to prevent false triggers.

4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Make a hardware patches editor in your iPad app.
I sell my Mac and now a make music only on the Ipad but, for example, if I reset my tripleplay controller (accidentally) I'd have to find someone with a PC or MAC to install your software and then set up the patches. Such a pain in the a**.

Thank you.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: rockzvezda1 on June 27, 2020, 02:26:41 AM
I think would be better if you can do this:
1. Reduce the size of the app
Make it without any sounds (like your MAC version) with 'downloading all the sounds later' option. It will make your app much lighter so it can be run in the background (right now iPad Pro 2020 with 6GB of RAM always kicks your app out from the background cause its too big).

2. Make the app AUv3 compatible.
So we can load it int the cubasis or AUM. We all know that AudioBus and inter app audio will be dead soon.

3. MIDI OUT option
Seems like you guys have a lot of great midi event filters inside your app (that's why inside the app tracking is much better than everywhere else). MIDI out (virtual port?) would be great and we finally can get rid of other midi filter solutions. Like I always use velocity filter to prevent false triggers.

4. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Make a hardware patches editor in your iPad app.
I sell my Mac and now a make music only on the Ipad but, for example, if I reset my tripleplay controller (accidentally) I'd have to find someone with a PC or MAC to install your software and then set up the patches. Such a pain in the a**.

Thank you.

Thanks for your specific and detailed feedback. I think that some of this is already implemented or a related feature is implemented.

1) In the Setting menu, there is a setting "Background Audio" and if you turn this on it will allow it to run in the background. Be aware that it will use up battery until you quit the app or turn off this feature. Hopefully I am understanding your request.

2) We are looking into this, but no promises. This is a really great suggestion that many others have also made. For now you can buy AudioBus3 and this allows you to route MIDI and audio from the Connect app to any AUV3 plugin (or even other MIDI and audio apps) that you might have. Be aware that some apps handle MIDI in directly from the controller at the same time that they handle MIDI from AudioBus3, so it can cause problems with splits not working and/or doubled notes, but apps these days are beginning to do it right, either let you select which MIDI stream to pick up, or only handle MIDI from AudioBus3 when it is detected. Plugins don't have this problem.

3) What I said above about AudioBus3 might partially fulfill this need. Consider that most of the MIDI processing happens in the controller, so the direct MIDI from the controller that is accessible to all MIDI apps might be exactly what you want. Maybe if you provide more details about what you intend to do with this MIDI it will help us to better understand the request.

4) We will consider this request in the future.

-John