New Nexus GK Breakout Box

Started by scratch17, March 07, 2020, 07:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

Joel just announced a new version of the Nexus with a standard GK output and Lemo 19 pin input. It will have the six TRS jacks
to break out 12 channels of audio. The unit will also carry the standard Roland mono audio, and Sw1 and Sw2 switch signals.

Note that the unit will still carry the same CV signals with a standard MIDI port for the NU2 pickups.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

GuitarBuilder

Interesting, but somewhat incomplete announcement.  If all GK and Infinity CVs are used as listed, only 1 CV (CH11) is left for user control of other synths or MIDI.  Five CVs is max and no Infinity in that case.  It is definitely either/or.  I can't see having to open up the Nexus and move connections every time I want to go from a GK synth to some other configuration.  He has also not assigned a channel to the passive pickup audio signal or to SW1/SW2 (unless he's calling those GK SW).  I think we need to see more details on how he envisions the GK control voltages to work in this configuration.

I've been doing GK upgrades on Nexus for a while now and it is not as easy or straight-forward as one would think.  One needs to give some thought to the controls on the guitar if the system is to be fully GK-compatible; only one CV (GK/SY VOL) is a simple 0-5V signal.  All others are unique, so some custom circuitry is required in the guitar to be authentic.  Yes, you could give up some features and make a bare-bones connection if you wish - that is always an option.  Personally, I like having a functional mix (GK SW) switch and patch up/down (SW1, SW2) switches.  I ended up designing a custom blend pot for guitar/synth volume for my guitars so I could have the other pots dedicated to additional CVs.

Lastly, I've pointed out to Joel that he has designed in a 13-pin connector that leaves something to be desired.  This connector will have the same grounding issues that the standard Roland PCB connector has; in addition, my experience with this particular version (same as on my Spicetone 6APPEAL) has been less than positive due to a loose fit and the ability to put the jack in upside down.  There's a good reason why people retrofit Gumbo's excellent Synth-Linx jacks in their BOSS/Roland synths!  Your mileage may vary, of course!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973