Mounting GK3B on Ibanez SR1305

Started by 2pods, February 06, 2020, 08:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2pods

Having bought a donor bass for the forthcoming SY1000, I now have a five string Ibanez SR1305.

Real nice bass, but rather than a bridge with the saddles mounted on a square plate, it has separate saddles set at and angle. With my last bass with GK3B PU I lined it up with the bridge plate, but with this do I follow the angle, right in front of the saddles, or locate it on the front of the G string parallel to the bottom of the bass ?
Hope I've explained it OK ?

Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

admin

Most would place GK-3B PU at the midpoint between the bridge and the existing rear mag PU   - parallel to the existing PU

Here the official instructions

Be sure the GK- PU is placed NOT too close to the bridge saddles
https://www.roland.com/V-Guitar/gk3b-requirements.html

2pods

Thanks. I thought that might be it.

Hopefully, I'll be used to the B string by the time the SY1000 is in stock over here  ;D

2pods

I think I've decided 5 string is not for me, so the GK3B is now going on my 4 string Ibanez SR30th Anniversary. When I was checking string spacing etc the Hex pickup kept being pulled hard against the bridge single coil, as there's not much space.

Do you think it would effect the sound of both the bass bridge pickup and the GK3B triggering if it was left like that ?

The actual gap between the bass pickup and the separate bridges (for each string is only about 2 cm)

2pods

This is where it was before the Nordstrand pulled it in....

admin

Quote from: 2pods on March 23, 2020, 09:48:04 AM
This is where it was before the Nordstrand pulled it in....

^ I prefer here - more separation distance away from the flux lines of the other PU